Who do you think will have the most POV chapters in WOW and why?

Synaesthesia

My money is also on Daenerys. She is the one who has the most to do to catch with the rest of the timeline. Just think about it. The acclamation by the Dosh Khaleen, the unification of the khalasaars, sorting out Meeren, the march of conquest across Essos, the meetings with key characters (Tyrion, Moqorro, Marwyn, maybe Victarion and others), learning about Aegon, maybe also about her stolen dragon, conquering Volantis and being acclaimed by the Red Priests, Pentos and Illyrio, maybe Qarth and Xaro, etc. 

Tyrion should have a fair amount of chapters too. Also Sam, as he is going to report on the mysteries of the Citadel and Oldtown and the war against Euron.

To me the question is not so much WHO has the most POV chapters but rather which of the REGIONAL STORYLINES will get the most coverage. In areas with multiple POV characters you may get more overall coverage even if each individual POV has a lower chapter count.

It seems the Northern storyline will be covered by Davos, Mellisandre, Theon and Asha. Jon is the big question mark here, as well as the duration of Theon’s continued existence to serve as POV character. Noteworthy is that either Asha or Theon will have to make it to Winterfell soon to provide any type of coverage there, which seems kind of inevitable. With Theon on his apparent way elsewhere, it appears that Asha will be the new Winterfell POV, implying a Stannis victory there it would seem.

In Essos, Tyrion, Daenerys, Barristan and Victarrion will all give us POV coverage, so unless some of them start dying soon, that might reduce the individual chapter count for both Dany and Tyrion.

I’m not inclined to go through all the other storylines now, but the same principle of geographical duplication resulting in individual chapter count reduction applies.

to piggyback off of @Free Northman Reborn's good point, I think a lot of the Essos story will be told through Tyrion/Barristan/Victarion rather than Dany. Once Dany is back in Mereen with her Dothraki hoard and FINALLY leaves for Westeros, it basically turns into a military campaign where the thoughts of Barristan and Victarion will be much more important than Dany. I believe Dany will move the bulk of her army overland to the Narrow Sea (for a variety of reasons) and will need Tyrion to be an emissary ahead of them, so there are his chapters. It's not that Dany won't be important, but I don't think she'll have too much to add that the others can't add for her once the army is the move until they actually get to Westeros. 

Probably there will be 4-5 chapters from POVs of Bran, Theon/Asha, Davos, Sam, Cersei, Jaime/Brienne, Martells, Barristan, JonCon, Aeron/Victarion - 40-50 chapters. Most part of the book we will be held in suspense, about what is happening with Dany in Dothraki Sea, and with Jon at The Wall, and then we will have just 1 or 2 chapters with their POV. So everything in the west and the east will be happening without them, and given thru Tyrion's POV in Essos, and Sansa's in Westeros. From their POVs will be shown, how will be resolved all political situations on both continents. Probably from Sansa's POV we will find out the most information about what's happening in King's Landing, about Golden Company's invasion, then she will meet Brienne and Jaime, and thru them will be reunited with undeadCat, then she will deal with Littlefinger, and will go to Winterfell, on the way there meeting Davos, and reuniting with her little brother (if he really was at Skagos). Tyrion's will be the main POV until the very end of the book, until Dany will return to Meereen with Dothraki horde and Rhaego. Tyrion and Sansa each will have 10+ chapters. So the book will be 60-70 chapters + Jon's&Dany's POVs - so, probably, 62-74 chapters, not 80 or close to it.

It’s kinda off topic, but I expect most if not all of Jon’s chapters will be incognito, with names like “The Dead Crow” or “The White Warg” to keep his return mysterious instead of just saying “JON” and announcing his return.

I also imagine Davos will get plenty of chapters at the beginning to show his adventures in Skagos which we must be quite far gone, as the timeline says Jon is shanked 4 months after Davos receives his mission.

Has anyone guessed:  No One??  I mean no one, not Arya, LOL

Actually, though, that would be my guess for ADOS at this point.  TWOW:  I suspect it's going to be somewhat equal, once he kills a few POVs off that are over plentiful in certain areas. 

On 10/23/2018 at 2:45 AM, Starkz said:

Daenerys arc has been the most predictable and plot armored since the first book. The moment she acquired dragons every reader knew she would eventually come to Westeros. Daenerys arc is the easiest most clear one to understand of all the POV characters.  Furthermore everything that Daenerys has done in Essos has no significance to the overall story and the story would be a lot better without her being there. We all know Dany isn’t going to be staying in Essos and ruling their, furthermore the abolishment of slavery isnt something that can be accomplished so quickly and won’t be by the books end. Essos is far larger than Westeros and abolishing slavery, and keeping it abolished is a pipe dream.

Also, every character associated with Daenerys is rather expendable, that in being anyone with her, them dying wouldn’t impact the story that much.

I disagree with you.  The important story arc is wherever Daenerys is at because she is the main character.  This is about an exiled princess taking back her lands from Robert's allies.

If you want to know which arc is expendable, it will have to be King's Landing and all things involving the Lannisters in that side of the world.

3 hours ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

I disagree with you.  The important story arc is wherever Daenerys is at because she is the main character.  This is about an exiled princess taking back her lands from Robert's allies.

If you want to know which arc is expendable, it will have to be King's Landing and all things involving the Lannisters in that side of the world.

The story is about Westeros, not Essos. Furthermore it doesn’t seem as though Dany will be leaving much behind besides fire and blood. We’ve all known she would eventually go to Westeros, everything that happens in Essos doesn’t matter to the overall story and there doesn’t seem to be any lasting impact besides destruction. Her arc had been clearly layed out since the beginning, were just waiting for it.

I think a lot will be going on in the Vale and Sansa's the only POV character there. The (f)Aegon story line will also probably be big but there is two POV characters there already with JonCon and Arianne. Also stuff going on in King's Landing and as of right now the only POV we have there is Cersei but I suspect we may get a new POV in the capitol, maybe Nymeria Sand? Essos has Dany, Tyrion, Barristan and Victarion, the question is how quick Dany get back to some of these POV characters.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:00 AM, chrisdaw said:

Dany.

Jon will be dead a lot. Tyrion and Sansa will become interlinked and so 'share' chapters. Arya is a possibility but I think she'll interlink with Sansa too, and then Jaime/Brienne.

I disagree about Dany, and I'm not sure how you're putting Tyrion's and Sansa's chapters together. 

I can see Tyrion and Barriston taking over Mereen's story. Dany could be gone for half the book. 

Jon almost certainly will be out for most of WoW. 

Jaime / Brienne are together and ended on a cliffhanger, so I don't see them both getting a lot of chapters, nor do I see their crisis resolving itself too early. 

Again, Asha and Theon are together, so that could be slightly redundant until / unless they separate. 

If I could choose, I think I would choose Bran or Sansa (can't believe I'm saying "Sansa"), but surely to goodness Bran's storyline is of monumental importance. And I kinda feel (after the WoW sample chapter) that big things are going to happen in the Vale. Let's not forget the position Littlefinger is in as Lord Paramount of the Trident; Lord Protector of the Vale; and guardian of Eddard Stark's eldest living legitimate child. 

Needless to say, we have many great things to look forward to, and some ground shaking events to resolve. 

On 10/23/2018 at 2:58 AM, wia said:

Well I'll take Jon waking up and having the most chapters over Dany getting an army to go to Westeros again and having the most chapters. ))))

We're on opposite ends of what we like then.  I'm a big fan of Dany's POV chapters.  I do wish for more chapters from her perspective in tWoW and none of Jon's.  

3 hours ago, Silver Bullet 1985 said:

We're on opposite ends of what we like then.  I'm a big fan of Dany's POV chapters.  I do wish for more chapters from her perspective in tWoW and none of Jon's.  

I like Dany fine, but she did her thing twice already. I don't feel up for a repeat performance that much. 

Jon's chapters on the other hand could reveal a lot about the Others that we know very little about.

2 hours ago, wia said:

I like Dany fine, but she did her thing twice already. I don't feel up for a repeat performance that much. 

Jon's chapters on the other hand could reveal a lot about the Others that we know very little about.

Also, there are a lot of povs in meereen at the moment. Besides her adventure among the dothriaki there isn t a reason for danny to have a lot of chapters… And I sincerily hope that we don t have a bunch of useless chapters about the dothriaki… (we all know that around 90% of dothriaki culture and traditions are unacceptable in westeros)

On the other hand the only other pov on the Wall is mel and I doubt we will have more that 1 or 2 chaps from her pov. It would destroy her mistique… In addition, jon has a huge journey ahead of him to acomplish in the near future. Like dealing with healing/ressurection, the crapfest that surely happened after his brothers attacked him, the political situation in the north (as far as he knows the boltons are going to march to the Wall so he might want to talk with some northern houses besides dealing with farya, the queen wanting to leave/burn shereen and possibly not having a boat for massey), a possible last will from robb, information about the others either from the prisioners in the cells or from dreams with bran, the weeper attacks, whatever is happening/happened in hardhome, training his warg abilities (there is only 1 book remaining after this) and maybe leaving the nw…. even if some of these things might happen in mel chapters he still has a lot to do in the near future and no other pov charecters around.

2 minutes ago, divica said:

Also, there are a lot of povs in meereen at the moment. Besides her adventure among the dothriaki there isn t a reason for danny to have a lot of chapters… And I sincerily hope that we don t have a bunch of useless chapters about the dothriaki… (we all know that around 90% of dothriaki culture and traditions are unacceptable in westeros)

I do hope we don't get much more Barristan chapters. He's rather dull to read in POV. 

Just now, wia said:

I do hope we don't get much more Barristan chapters. He's rather dull to read in POV. 

The problem with that is that if he survives the batle he will be the one to stabilise mereen.

Someone has to deal with the new plague outbreak (the masters threw the sick into the city), there will be prisioners that can be used to negotiate with the masters, the harpy situation/daario wanting to kill hizdar, how to deal with the iron born (will they steal a dragon before danny arrives?), how to deal with the dragons, how to deal with tyrion and how to put the city back on track before the volantene fleet arrives… 

All that must be done in the near future and I don t think danny will arrive that fast in mereen… So I would say we will have a lot of barristan chapters dealing with politics and tyrion chapters dealing with dragons and advising everybody lol

1 minute ago, divica said:

The problem with that is that if he survives the batle he will be the one to stabilise mereen.

Someone has to deal with the new plague outbreak (the masters threw the sick into the city), there will be prisioners that can be used to negotiate with the masters, the harpy situation/daario wanting to kill hizdar, how to deal with the iron born (will they steal a dragon before danny arrives?), how to deal with the dragons, how to deal with tyrion and how to put the city back on track before the volantene fleet arrives… 

All that must be done in the near future and I don t think danny will arrive that fast in mereen… So I would say we will have a lot of barristan chapters dealing with politics and tyrion chapters dealing with dragons and advising everybody lol

Yea, all that. I was hoping that Tyrion would take over fast. One can dream. )))) 

Not what I want to see as Dany’s character became less dynamic post-dragon, but I lean toward Dany getting a relatively heavy number of chapters. Maybe the highest number.

That said, there’s a lot of POVs so I agree with those who say the counts will likely come down across the board.

Sansa may get more than her usual relatively low number as the Vale looks about to explode, but I think Jaime and/or Brienne will end up there especially as Sansa’s view is quite limited, so maybe not.

Cersei will likely have a high number unless/until JonCon/Arianne or Euron get to KL.

Given the parallels to Bran’s attack, Catelyn’s it should have been you, Jon being the most likely Stark kid for Jojen’s warning to not spend too much time in one’s wolf, and the not-so-subtle telling of how close Jon and Ghost have become, I’m leaning toward Jon getting limited POVs through Ghost over much of TWOW while he’s in a coma. Since there was a lot about how Ghost is silent and invisible in snow in ADWD, I'm guessing Jon/Ghost will sneak into Winterfell.

All of the back and forth between Jon and Marsh and the excessive development of Marsh’s character leaves me to believe that we may have no steady POV at the Wall for a while. We didn’t need any significant character development or motive for Slynt or Thorne, so it wasn’t needed for Marsh unless Marsh was to fill another role like the 999th LC. We don’t really need a POV here as we’ve been told already through Jon/Marsh convos what Marsh would do as LC. I see a Marsh POV as the ADOS prologue or TWOW epilogue for the Wall falling. Of course, he dies. The Wall is doomed and that’s been clear from the beginning of the series. The second-line defense of Winterfell and the North is where the action will be.

I'd be excited to see a rise in Bran's chapters along side Dany's as these two are the most magical POV characters and there are loads of parallels between these two. Not sure that'll happen though.

17 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Sansa may get more than her usual relatively low number as the Vale looks about to explode, but I think Jaime and/or Brienne will end up there especially as Sansa’s view is quite limited, so maybe not.

Cersei will likely have a high number unless/until JonCon/Arianne or Euron get to KL.

Given the parallels to Bran’s attack, Catelyn’s it should have been you, Jon being the most likely Stark kid for Jojen’s warning to not spend too much time in one’s wolf, and the not-so-subtle telling of how close Jon and Ghost have become, I’m leaning toward Jon getting limited POVs through Ghost over much of TWOW while he’s in a coma. Since there was a lot about how Ghost is silent and invisible in snow in ADWD, I'm guessing Jon/Ghost will sneak into Winterfell.

All of the back and forth between Jon and Marsh and the excessive development of Marsh’s character leaves me to believe that we may have no steady POV at the Wall for a while. We didn’t need any significant character development or motive for Slynt or Thorne, so it wasn’t needed for Marsh unless Marsh was to fill another role like the 999th LC. We don’t really need a POV here as we’ve been told already through Jon/Marsh convos what Marsh would do as LC. I see a Marsh POV as the ADOS prologue or TWOW epilogue for the Wall falling. Of course, he dies. The Wall is doomed and that’s been clear from the beginning of the series. The second-line defense of Winterfell and the North is where the action will be.

I'd be excited to see a rise in Bran's chapters along side Dany's as these two are the most magical POV characters and there are loads of parallels between these two. Not sure that'll happen though.

wow I almost completly disagree with everything you wrote.

I think that instead of exploding the vale is leading in the exact oposite direction. LF is trying to pacify things and consolidate his power through economic power and politics. The bigest action that may happen is towards the end of the book when people start calling on the vale (cersei for help, Aegon for alligeance, jon/manderley(rickon) for help) and LF decides to do something sansa disagrees and she ends up killing him and rallying the vale to her cause through sweetrobin or harry.

There is no paralel between jon's and bran's attacks and jojen's warnings are for bran that breaks all the rules about the dangers of warging (he was even spending too much time in summer). I mean, jon has never even warged into ghost...

And marsh won t be in any position of power in the nw. You are forgeting that they use elections for electing the lord comander and that even if by some miracle marsh takes over castle black (I have no idea how he could do this) the other castles won t obey him. In adition, marsh would have to deal with a wildling revolt and a possible atack from the Boltons because he doesn t have farya… There is simply too much happening at the Wall to not have a pov there at the moment. And why would the dead atack winterfell? the could just walk around it, siege it and wait for starvation, atack other places less protected and proceed farther south… IF, and I really mean IF the Wall falls then the dead must have some objective because if they can wander anywhere just killing people then they are unstopable.

And I think that it would be much more interesting having other characters have dreams where bran send them visions and talks to them than actually having bran chapters where he has the visions. This way bran's visions actually become useful because he can show them to the people in power that can take action.

21 minutes ago, divica said:

wow I almost completly disagree with everything you wrote. 

Oh, I expected that and I know you're not the only one!

TWOW spoiler

Spoiler

The TWOW Alayne chapter is pointing to the bleep hitting the fan.

21 minutes ago, divica said:

There is no paralel between jon's and bran's attacks and jojen's warnings are for bran that breaks all the rules about the dangers of warging (he was even spending too much time in summer). I mean, jon has never even warged into ghost...

And marsh won t be in any position of power in the nw. You are forgeting that they use elections for electing the lord comander and that even if by some miracle marsh takes over castle black (I have no idea how he could do this) the other castles won t obey him. In adition, marsh would have to deal with a wildling revolt and a possible atack from the Boltons because he doesn t have farya… There is simply too much happening at the Wall to not have a pov there at the moment. And why would the dead atack winterfell? the could just walk around it, siege it and wait for starvation, atack other places less protected and proceed farther south… IF, and I really mean IF the Wall falls then the dead must have some objective because if they can wander anywhere just killing people then they are unstopable. 

Not unexpectedly, I disagree with almost all of your premises, assumptions, and general reading of the books here. We'll see.

Archived