Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

Here's mine, @Lady Fevre Dream

I f***ing hope he's moving away from the ending of the show. If it's the same ending with different language, I will storm outside with all the books, burn them and post that video on the Internet (It would've been a waste of money and time, but screw it, I've got a paying job for the summer, so fine). It's been more than a decade since ADWD. I realize he's a gardener, we're not 90 year old seniors with memory problems who need to be told every five minutes, and I know that he's going to be rewriting stuff, but if we've had a decade waiting, and it's just the same dreck as the two D's, I'll be majorly ticked off. 

A moose turd pie is still a moose turd pie, no matter how much sugar you dump on it. 

12 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I f***ing hope he's moving away from the ending of the show. If it's the same ending with different language, I will storm outside with all the books, burn them and post that video on the Internet (It would've been a waste of money and time, but screw it, I've got a paying job for the summer, so fine). It's been more than a decade since ADWD. I realize he's a gardener, we're not 90 year old seniors with memory problems who need to be told every five minutes, and I know that he's going to be rewriting stuff, but if we've had a decade waiting, and it's just the same dreck as the two D's, I'll be majorly ticked off. 

A moose turd pie is still a moose turd pie, no matter how much sugar you dump on it. 

Lady Jaenara! We need a new Bad Writing thread, at once!

You know, with all the complaints about the show's lax approach to logistics, GRRM isn't very thorough with his scaling or his biology; Stannis spends 30,000 gold dragons to pay for Salladhor Saan's fleet for a month, while Anguy burns through 20,000 gold dragons in a couple weeks. Conversely, with all the volcanic activity on Dragonstone, one would expect the soil to be relatively fertile (Nurn, the southern part of Mordor, is mentioned as a fertile area where food for his armies are grown; it doesn't all look like Ered Gorgoroth).

3 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

You know, with all the complaints about the show's lax approach to logistics, GRRM isn't very thorough with his scaling or his biology; Stannis spends 30,000 gold dragons to pay for Salladhor Saan's fleet for a month, while Anguy burns through 20,000 gold dragons in a couple weeks. Conversely, with all the volcanic activity on Dragonstone, one would expect the soil to be relatively fertile (Nurn, the southern part of Mordor, is mentioned as a fertile area where food for his armies are grown; it doesn't all look like Ered Gorgoroth).

Yeah, well, authors aren’t particularly well-known for their math skills. 

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I doubt if GOT was a happy ship, with Hannah Waddingham being waterboarded for ten hours, Esme Bianco having to film being shot through the vagina, while being tormented by Marilyn Manson, and the cast having to endure Benioff’s unfunny practical jokes. And, at the end, Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington being devastated by the Season 8 script.

Love to know what they were saying in that Whatsapp group.

It's nice to know the cast was at least acknowledging that the final season wasn't getting a good reception, as opposed to parts of the fanbase that keep insisting it was well received because it got lots of views.

On 7/8/2022 at 7:08 PM, Lady Fevre Dream said:

So, no one is talking about GRRM's latest Winds post?  I found it on Twitter a little while ago.  It's a lot of talk and thought about Winds, and even GOT, that's for sure, LOLOL  I'm almost impressed with just the amount of info in it.  Of course, you couldn't pay me to expect anything, though, HA

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/07/08/a-winter-garden/

Hey Lady FD, I missed this so thanks for posting. I found it interesting the words he used to express how different it would be (a lot! quite different! further and further away! the living will die and the dead will live!)

What I have noticed more and more of late, however, is my gardening is taking me further and further away from the television series.   Yes, some of the things you saw on HBO in GAME OF THRONES you will also see in THE WINDS OF WINTER (though maybe not in quite the same ways)… but much of the rest will be quite different...

One thing I can say,  in general enough terms that I will not be spoiling anything:  not all of the characters who survived until the end of GAME OF THRONES will survive until the end of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, and not all of the characters who died on GAME OF THRONES will die in A SONG OF ICE & FIRE...

And the ending?   You will need to wait until I get there.   Some things will be the same.   A lot will not.

On 7/4/2022 at 2:31 PM, SeanF said:

While that’s true, it’s hard to see what more she could have delivered, in terms of commitment, than two dragons and the  world’s biggest army.

Sansa ought to have been happy to have a ruler who would largely leave her family to rule the North as they saw fit.

Exactly 

On 7/9/2022 at 6:55 AM, Jaenara Belarys said:

as someone who has read the books specifically to read something other than the shit show GoT presented , I must do the same ...

On 7/15/2022 at 12:54 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Have you guys seen this video? It made me laugh, but also made me feel embarrassed.

believe it or not , I almost felt sorry for Jon! especially in "ally" part.. really, where is Starks' common sense? they DO NEED ALLIES 

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

as someone who has read the books specifically to read something other than the shit show GoT presented , I must do the same ...

believe it or not , I almost felt sorry for Jon! especially in "ally" part.. really, where is Starks' common sense? they DO NEED ALLIES 

As I said, what were the Northern Lords thinking? They wanted to defend against the Long Night with a couple Valyrian Steel swords and fire (which nobody used).

49 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

As I said, what were the Northern Lords thinking? They wanted to defend against the Long Night with a couple Valyrian Steel swords and fire (which nobody used).

eh.. I don't know if extreme climates can affect brain's function but cold certainly does that in show North

3 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

eh.. I don't know if extreme climates can affect brain's function but cold certainly does that in show North

Maybe they were expecting Arya to spring out of a tree on the Night King.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:24 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Have you guys seen this video? It made me laugh, but also made me feel embarrassed.

Arya: "That's okay, I don't need many allies" :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Darryk said:

Arya: "That's okay, I don't need many allies" :rolleyes:

The sad part is that she was right. It turned out all she needed was for Beric to stand in a doorway like Jesus and for Mel to tell her to go close some blue eyes.

Did any other character besides Arya kill a walker during the long night? I don’t remember any.

I'm beginning to think GoT is a cynical dark comedy.. which is not masterfully done:

- be a treacherous  sellsword with the sole dream of spending more on brothels: be rewarded with ruling the richest land in the country 

- end slavery and stop magical creatures from ending humanity until the little kid realizes she should jump from behind a tree : be stabbed to death by your lover and only living family member

33 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

I'm beginning to think GoT is a cynical dark comedy.. which is not masterfully done:

- be a treacherous  sellsword with the sole dream of spending more on brothels: be rewarded with ruling the richest land in the country 

- end slavery and stop magical creatures from ending humanity until the little kid realizes she should jump from behind a tree : be stabbed to death by your lover and only living family member

Not so much dark comedy as an anti-morality tale.

People who try to do good (Ned, Catelyn, Robb, Dany, Jon) are stupid saps who fail miserably, and deserve to fail miserably.

Those who deserve to succeed are those who learn to play The Game (Tyrion, Sansa, Bronn, maybe Bran).

It was a child’s version of The Prince (despite his reputation, Macchiavelli advocated pragmatism, not amorality, on the part of rulers).

Archived