Rant and Rave Thread

teemo

25 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

At this point, it’s hard to tell who is worse in terms of stupidity combined with being obnoxious. Arya or Sansa? I have never in my life seen any two characters so unlikable and unrelatable and that’s something to say with their histories. And these are supposed to be our strong female character prototypes.

Why are you singling them out? Can you point me to any likeable female main character on this show (Gilly and Missandei are not mains)? Or any female main character that isn't stupid?

5 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Why are you singling them out? Can you point me to any likeable female main character on this show (Gilly and Missandei are not mains)? Or any female main character that isn't stupid?

The show has reduced all the women to sneering biddies.

Not that the men look any better 

10 minutes ago, Nami said:

Dany is my favorite character in ASOIAF. She's someone I can relate to in a way. The character on this show is so unrelatable. They stripped her of all vulnerability to make her look like a badass empowered woman. That is not Dany.

:agree: 

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Its kinda bad when the best reunion is Theon and Yara in a scene with no dialogue.

Jon/Arya, Arya/Hound, Arya/Gendry...all disappointing. 

I wish the smartest woman in the world might be smart enough to keep her own counsel, and stop side eyeing her fellow leaders in public.

Why does everyone's hair look atrocious? 

:agree: 

The smartest person in the world doesn’t know what dragons eat. I mean I would guess Nutella too....

even constume design has been atrocious since season 6. I bet the costume designer’s been listening to paint it black on repeat for 4 years. 

9 minutes ago, Mystical said:

I’m singling them out because I was talking about them, not the others. And no I actually can’t, but then I don’t think Cersei aims to be likable, as for Daenerys, I find her slightly less unlikable though equally unrelatable. 

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The show has reduced all the women to sneering biddies.

Not that the men look any better 

The men do look better, when they aren't talking cunts or making penis/eunuch jokes or blaming a man for being sexually assaulted. I thought the wight hunt episode demonstrated this perfectly. A dozen or so guys, most of whom don't know each other, can joke together and have each others back in a fight. Contrasted with the Sansa/Arya story in the same episode where you have two sisters fighting and threatening skinning because...I still have no idea why.

6 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

The smartest person in the world doesn’t know what dragons eat. I mean I would guess Nutella too....

Why would Sansa know what dragons eat? I wasn't aware that part of Sansa's education included dragon biology. It's a valid question when you are concerned about available food, jesus christ.

11 hours ago, darmody said:

About Bronn and the whores, King's Landing looks like a ghost town. Sex prices have probably cratered. (Though there are a bunch of sailors and mercenaries freshly arrived.)

Good point.   

Since there are no High Lords to patronize the high-end pillow houses.  

I guess Bronn was simply taking advantage of a soft market to triple his fun (bad pun).  Although the whores seem a little out of practice too.  They were definitely not focusing on their job, with the crappy pillow-talk. 

Is it just me, or do feel all reunion scenes in this episode even worse than those last season. Sansa and Tyrion is a joke, Jon and Arya is, quite frankly, absolutely horrible, and Bran would better be not in any of the scenes he actually shows up because he is completely useless as a character. Arya and Gendry was completely stupid, too.

The only somewhat adequate scene was Sam and Jon.

6 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Why would Sansa know what dragons eat? I wasn't aware that part of Sansa's education included dragon biology. It's a valid question when you are concerned about available food, jesus christ.

No, I really don’t think it is, I’m sorry. Dragons are big ass fire breathing, murderous beasts. What might they eat? Grass? 

And Sansa did have biology class. It was actually on Wednesdays between Free Period and Insulating Armor. She wore pink. 

Please don’t take these things too seriously, this is the rant and rave thread. We live to dissect everything here. 

Poor Ned Umber, last of his house. He went to Winterfell to get wagons and horses for his people, who simply sat at Last Hearth, and waited for their little lord, because they couldn't be bothered to start walking southwards. Meanwhile, Dany and Jon are taking joy rides on the dragons, because that's all they're good for, when they're not burning people alive. Dothraki are desperately ranging in the field, in this strange, frozen land, looking for good mutton meat for the dragons, but no one is scouting for a giant horde, that the Night King has managed to make vanish. 

But they don't need scouts, they got Bran, he sees everything. If only Bran had warned little Ned Umber that it was pointless to return to his home.

Now the army of the dead is marching straight southwards, from Last Hearth to Winterfell. A gigantic horde, shambling without rest, except maybe when it's daylight? What's left of the Night's Watch aims to double up on their horses and sneak past this tireless horde, to give warning to the blind defenders of Winterfell.

Winter is here, though the rivers of the land are stubbornly refusing to accept this. 

Ha.  Yeah, "winter" looks like a light dusting.

And why are the Northern lords such vicious, traitorous cunts in the show?  Every one of them, except for pint sized Mormont.  I'm not sure what the North remembers but it sure as hell isn't anything about loyalty to their kings or liege lords.

5 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

The rivers? We had more snow in a continental climate city this winter than there’s at Winterfell. I would frankly be happy to just see more than one inch of snow in Winterfell. 

Here in the UK, it can be hard to grasp just how freezing cold it can get in places in Europe that are equally far North.  I once spent Christmas in Hanover, and it was actually painful to go outside, it was so cold.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Ha.  Yeah, "winter" looks like a light dusting.

And why are the Northern lords such vicious, traitorous cunts in the show?  Every one of them, except for pint sized Mormont.  I'm not sure what the North remembers but it sure as hell isn't anything about loyalty to their kings or liege lords.

Nah, Lyanna Mormont was the quickest to diss Jon and publicly imply that he is Daenerys’s man whore. Kids these days. Dear lord, someone needs to slap her. 

Just now, RhaenysBee said:

Nah, Lyanna Mormont was the quickest to diss Jon and publicly imply that he is Daenerys’s man whore. Kids these days. Dear lord, someone needs to slap her. 

It was a normal speech. She wanted to know what happened and why jon bent the knee. And then jon explained that danny brought her armies and dragons to defend the north… Then we had bitch sansa that I just can t understand...

1 minute ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yeah, but she hasn't actually done anything traitorous, unlike Manderly, Umbers, Glovers, Karstarks, Boltons.

I'm over her, her first big speech was good and fun, but now she's overdone, you can only use the badass 10 year old so many times before it gets stale.  It's stale.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, but she hasn't actually done anything traitorous, unlike Manderly, Umbers, Glovers, Karstarks, Boltons.

I'm over her, her first big speech was good and fun, but now she's overdone, you can only use the badass 10 year old so many times before it gets stale.  It's stale.

I never even found the first time she did it believable.  

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah in that aspect, absolutely. In fact, were there even manderlys in the show? 

I personally hated her guts from day 1. But I know that’s just me. “Sassy” kid has been a go-to television tool for decades, it’s widely enjoyed so Of course they were going to get an all-year pass for that bandwagon. 

6 minutes ago, divica said:

It was a normal speech. She wanted to know what happened and why jon bent the knee. And then jon explained that danny brought her armies and dragons to defend the north… Then we had bitch sansa that I just can t understand...

Lyanna had her non-personal reasons. Sansa was just acting bitchy. Not only because of her lines, but also her acting made her look really catty. She was just being passive-aggressive.

30 minutes ago, Mystical said:

The men do look better, when they aren't talking cunts or making penis/eunuch jokes or blaming a man for being sexually assaulted. I thought the wight hunt episode demonstrated this perfectly. A dozen or so guys, most of whom don't know each other, can joke together and have each others back in a fight. Contrasted with the Sansa/Arya story in the same episode where you have two sisters fighting and threatening skinning because...I still have no idea why.

It's a shame that they didn't flesh out the Arya Sansa line better last season.  It's clear that at some point they were cooperating and playing Littlefinger--maybe for that entire sequence.  But of course they didn't take the time to show how or when that occurred.

Archived