MCUniverse: Phase Four and Beyond(er) **maybe spoilers**

PyroclasticFlow

20 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Stark doesn’t do the unsnap, Banner dies.

Duh, of course Banner does. I obviously need to see the movie again to get things right in my head. The idea doesn't quite work as well with the unsnap being done in a more controlled manner.

Just saw it. It was fun, but disposable, and not as good as Homecoming. Definitely suffers in the villain and personal stakes compared to that film, and the Inception illusion thing didn't really work as they intended.

Spoiler

Jonah Jameson showing up, played again by JK Simmons, was amusing, but not sure about him being the MCU's Alex Jones, with the Daily Bugle as the universe's version of InfoWars.

What are the odds on the post-credit scene being a dream/nightmare that Parker wakes up from immediately in the next film?

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Just saw it. It was fun, but disposable, and not as good as Homecoming. Definitely suffers in the villain and personal stakes compared to that film, and the Inception illusion thing didn't really work as they intended.

Hide contents

Jonah Jameson showing up, played again by JK Simmons, was amusing, but not sure about him being the MCU's Alex Jones, with the Daily Bugle as the universe's version of InfoWars.

What are the odds on the post-credit scene being a dream/nightmare that Parker wakes up from immediately in the next film?

I enjoyed it, and while I agree the villain in this ends up not being quite as good as Vulture over all I liked this one more.

Spoiler

I thought Fury saying "don't invoke her name" when Peter asks where Captain Marvel is (I think the line should have been "Carol Danvers" because I don't know that anyone has officially named her that yet in movie script) was really weird, but it was definitely something a Skrull might say. So the post credits scene made the line work. But people who don't stay for the post credits scene will be left wondering why Fury would speak of Carol in such devoted terms.

If you haven't played the Spider Man video game this version of J. Jonah Jameson will be unfamiliar. But in the game this is exactly what he's become, so it looks like Sony are running with a particular theme with him. Though in the game he was fired from the Bugle for being very Alex Jonesy and went on to become a talk radio shock jock, but just as unhinged and full of conspiracy theories as in this scene. Perhaps if / when Jameson gets exposed as having promulgated fake news, and allowing a villain to out Peter Parker, the Bugle will fire him and he'll go full Alex Jones.

Some people think Mysterio won't be dead for reals. It was just an illusion, but not done with holograms, rather one done with heart rate dropping drugs. EDITH did say there were no holograms (Illusions?), she did not say Mysterio was dead.

Spoiler

Oh, that "Do not invoke her name!" makes more sense now. Apparently other viewers thought Fury and Hill were acting oddly - that's the only moment I recall thinking it was a bit forceful. I probably won't see this twice in the theaters, but I'll rewatch it eventually and will have to keep an eye out for their out-of-character moments.

I enjoyed it, thought it was a fine addition to the MCU. It's a testament to the previous two Spidey films that it's still only the third best Spiderman film the last couple years (I've watched Spiderverse like five times already, it's such a damn treat and looks fantastic in 3D).  Before this movie was released, I was really skeptical about the elementals looking like ridiculously dumb villains. I thought Mysterio was actually going to be from another dimension and just controlling them. So I really enjoyed that they were just super-duper-human tech and he was similar to Kingsley's Mandarin. Also liked the little tie ins to other slighted scientists from former movies - although he sure was one murderous psycho for simply having his neat VR thing mocked by Stark. Overall, his villainy kind of rang untrue to me compared to Keaton's very believable Vulture.

In a minor quibble, the two leads' on-screen kiss was incredibly awkward-looking - I know it was a first kiss between two 16 year olds and all, but come on. Especially since the upside down Spidey/MJ kiss was probably the most famous one in any comic book movie in two decades, I think Tom and Zendaya could have pulled off something more believable for two teens really into each other. They looked like two complete strangers on the boardwalk being paid 20 bucks on the spot to kiss. Alright, I'll get off my MTV Movie Awards beef.

So, more cosmic stuff going forward? Galactus/Silver Surfer in 2023, come on Marvel!

Solid 3 stars out of 4 for me. Coulda been 3.5 if they hadn't completely glossed over explaining society post-Blip as I knew they would.

37 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Solid showing for Mysterio.   In terms of how they maxed him out and let him shine.   Teen characters...... grew?      Growth.    Of an episodic sort.    It's enough to fully entertain.   Afterwards I realized it was more of a self- contained episode than a big bang start for the next phase.   

Well, its not the start of the next phase, so...yeah?

Loved Far From Home, mainly because I adore this cast. Tom Holland has next level chemistry with everyone. It's a joy just to watch everyone interact, theatrics aside. I could watch him and Zendaya out-awkward one another for hours on end. Truly looking forward to seeing how this romance develops, as it's become my favorite relationship in the MCU. I thought the way they integrated Mysterio, right down to how his "powers" were portrayed, was pretty smartly done.

Spoiler

I loved that that his "true" costume was a mocap suit. It was hilariously meta. I also like how, aside from the idea that Peter wrestled with taking on Tony's legacy in the symbolic way, Peter continuously has to deal with the fallout of Tony's bad decisions in both movies. Tony is essentially is the reason why Vulture and Mysterio exist. Peter should probably be a little more pissed at his mentor for leaving so much dirty laundry behind, heh.

And those post-credit scenes? Wow. Talk about upping the stakes. I can't remember the last time one of these scenes left me feeling so rocked to the core.

5 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:
  Hide contents

Oh, that "Do not invoke her name!" makes more sense now. Apparently other viewers thought Fury and Hill were acting oddly - that's the only moment I recall thinking it was a bit forceful. I probably won't see this twice in the theaters, but I'll rewatch it eventually and will have to keep an eye out for their out-of-character moments.

I enjoyed it, thought it was a fine addition to the MCU. It's a testament to the previous two Spidey films that it's still only the third best Spiderman film the last couple years (I've watched Spiderverse like five times already, it's such a damn treat and looks fantastic in 3D).  Before this movie was released, I was really skeptical about the elementals looking like ridiculously dumb villains. I thought Mysterio was actually going to be from another dimension and just controlling them. So I really enjoyed that they were just super-duper-human tech and he was similar to Kingsley's Mandarin. Also liked the little tie ins to other slighted scientists from former movies - although he sure was one murderous psycho for simply having his neat VR thing mocked by Stark. Overall, his villainy kind of rang untrue to me compared to Keaton's very believable Vulture.

In a minor quibble, the two leads' on-screen kiss was incredibly awkward-looking - I know it was a first kiss between two 16 year olds and all, but come on. Especially since the upside down Spidey/MJ kiss was probably the most famous one in any comic book movie in two decades, I think Tom and Zendaya could have pulled off something more believable for two teens really into each other. They looked like two complete strangers on the boardwalk being paid 20 bucks on the spot to kiss. Alright, I'll get off my MTV Movie Awards beef.

So, more cosmic stuff going forward? Galactus/Silver Surfer in 2023, come on Marvel!

Solid 3 stars out of 4 for me. Coulda been 3.5 if they hadn't completely glossed over explaining society post-Blip as I knew they would.

Spoiler

I think "spot the clues that Maria and Fury are Skrulls" might become a thing with this movie.

One observation someone on the interwebs made was in the very first scene Maria calls Fury "Nick". And of course for those of us who saw Captain Marvel we should have immediately picked up that NO ONE calls Nick Fury "Nick". He's Fury to everyone, including his mum. To my shame I didn't pick up on that clue. The only thing that seemed off while I was watching the movie was the "don't invoke her name" line, and that one almost jumps up and slaps you in the face. So the clues were dropping from moment 1 but I was oblivious to all but 1 of them. I caught the line about a Kree sleeper cell, but I thought nothing of it, since real Nick and Maria could legit have a concern about that. I'm sure most senior operatives in S.H.I.E.L.D knew about Kree soon after the events of Captain Marvel, and Maria Hill is senior enough to be in on that intel.

I wonder if Homecoming will have more Blip content than any future MCU movies. I think they'll want to move on from the Blip ASAP, otherwise it will keep people thinking about it too much and asking too many difficult questions.

Anti-Targ, I think you're probably right about the MCU moving forward and probably only barely mentioning the blip here and there. I could see it as a motivation for a future bad guy in Ant Man 3 or something of that nature, but otherwise stubbornly ignored. People like me are going to keep obstinately saying "Yeah okay but what about..." throughout Phase 4, so perhaps we're all better off just rolling our eyes and pretending it was no big deal the way they clearly would like us to.

Yeah, but what about.... Elected politicians?! Damnit it took me 15 seconds to come up with yet another one. What about... people who were hospitalized? In labor? When does the Snap recognize life?? Was it 6 weeks, 3 months, out of the womb?! Where's the Scanners head-explosion gif when I need it!

I’d put Far From Home at the bottom third of my MCU list. The last half hour was good but everything before that didn’t really click with me. I was kinda bored throughout and none of the humor hit. The people I went with loved it so maybe I’m finally experiencing Marvel fatigue, or my mind is just rejecting a post-Thanos universe. 

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:
  Hide contents

Maria has called him Nick since her first appearance.

Oooh continuity fail?

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Anti-Targ, I think you're probably right about the MCU moving forward and probably only barely mentioning the blip here and there. I could see it as a motivation for a future bad guy in Ant Man 3 or something of that nature, but otherwise stubbornly ignored. People like me are going to keep obstinately saying "Yeah okay but what about..." throughout Phase 4, so perhaps we're all better off just rolling our eyes and pretending it was no big deal the way they clearly would like us to.

Yeah, but what about.... Elected politicians?! Damnit it took me 15 seconds to come up with yet another one. What about... people who were hospitalized? In labor? When does the Snap recognize life?? Was it 6 weeks, 3 months, out of the womb?! Where's the Scanners head-explosion gif when I need it!

We really don't need the MCU to go there.

Into the Spiderverse showed up on Netflix, so I've finally seen it and I was extremely underwhelmed. It had some good bits, and I really did enjoy the alternate spider-people, but I didn't care about Miles' arc at all. I think I really am done with coming-of-age stories of all types. I liked the art styles though, and the music. Maybe if my expectations weren't raised from the glowing reviews when it came out, I'd have liked it more.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Into the Spiderverse showed up on Netflix, so I've finally seen it and I was extremely underwhelmed. It had some good bits, and I really did enjoy the alternate spider-people, but I didn't care about Miles' arc at all. I think I really am done with coming-of-age stories of all types. I liked the art styles though, and the music. Maybe if my expectations weren't raised from the glowing reviews when it came out, I'd have liked it more.

It has been massively hyped since it came out which I understand. I think its component parts are better than the whole. I think Miles is a good character and I preferred him to some incarnations of Spidey. There were some fun scenes, I like the alternate spidey people too.

But it really doesn't have anything in the way of plot to hold it together.Just some McGuffin about some dimensional stuff.. and Kingpin.. blah blah. I don't tend to expect much more than that from a comic book movie, especially a cartoon, so I was ok with it. 

But if you go in thinking its an absolute classic, you will be disappointed. 

We all have different opinions, I never mind that at all. Heck, the Literature forum has an impressive amount of respectful (mostly :blink:) disagreement when it comes to the most-discussed authors and series. Regarding Into the Spiderverse, I thought it was a more exciting, funnier, and better looking movie than any MCU flick. I suppose I disagree that animated films are somehow inherently lesser than live action, as well, but hey I realize many disagree there. I can't imagine a comic book movie brought to motion any more vividly. I suppose I place a healthy amount of weight with visuals and visceral satisfaction in comic- movies more than non-genre action movies or other types of films, though.

2 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

We all have different opinions, I never mind that at all. Heck, the Literature forum has an impressive amount of respectful (mostly :blink:) disagreement when it comes to the most-discussed authors and series. Regarding Into the Spiderverse, I thought it was a more exciting, funnier, and better looking movie than any MCU flick. I suppose I disagree that animated films are somehow inherently lesser than live action, as well, but hey I realize many disagree there. I can't imagine a comic book movie brought to motion any more vividly. I suppose I place a healthy amount of weight with visuals and visceral satisfaction in comic- movies more than non-genre action movies or other types of films, though.

I'm with you on the visuals, that is usually very important to me and I think Spiderverse does comic book style better than almost anything else out there. I really like the over the top, too colourful visuals of Ragnarok and GotG, and that really pushes those movies up in my estimation just because of that. By the same token, the DCEU movies look as attractive as the curtains in your grans house. UGLY.

My gripe is that the story pretty inconsequential in Spideyverse, and that is a pretty common failing in a lot of superhero movies. I find it hard to just wave that away, especially when the last third of the movie is just the usual wizbang fight that seems regulation..

Archived