MCUniverse: Phase Four and Beyond(er) **maybe spoilers**

PyroclasticFlow

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, the mistake would be to immediately introduce a new Thanos+ threat and immediately have everything tie into that. Having Phase 4 being about introducing new characters and resetting some familiar ones before we start building up to the new thing is important, and I think unusually wise.

The interesting thing is where they envisage going with this. Secret Wars? Can Galactus work onscreen? It's hard to top the Infinity Saga without getting into really silly territory.

Feige and others have mentioned several times about their love of Secret Wars. Wasn't it the Russos who said they could do it in like 6 movies? I dunno if they're going there, but I think that'd probably be a good one to adapt. Certainly better and more well known than the bullshit about Silver Surfer and Galactus. 

Wow, just read a news article where the "fuck off she-Thor" sentiment seems to have a fair number vocal advocates. They do all seem to be MCU fans who don't have the first clue about the comics "Thor is a man!" type responses. There are people who are skeptical of Natalie Portman being suited to the role but are totally fine with a female Thor storyline. But it seems like the edgelords are using this to draw more battle lines in their online culture war.

My initial skeptical reaction to the Thor news was but she's so short. Natalie Portman had to even climb a stool in some scenes so she and Hemsworth could make out. Now I'm sure the power of Thor would allow her to shape-shift, and with today's movie tech it's likely doable that you could have a taller, more muscular female Thor that still looks like Natalie Portman. So I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be fine.

I'm totally fine with them not GCIing her at all. It'd actually be more interesting if she was one of the few heroes who couldn't punch a bad guy to death if she had to. Not that she'd have to cause she'll have the hammer and the ability to shoot lightning everywhere. She should use the powers a bit differently than Thor did. Less direct bashing and more lightning and hammer throwing tricks. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

My initial skeptical reaction to the Thor news was but she's so short. Natalie Portman had to even climb a stool in some scenes so she and Hemsworth could make out. Now I'm sure the power of Thor would allow her to shape-shift, and with today's movie tech it's likely doable that you could have a taller, more muscular female Thor that still looks like Natalie Portman. So I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be fine.

Tom Cruise looks 6ft tall in almost all of his movies. While I mused about Hemsworth becoming Donald Blake for Thor 4, I do wonder if they'll use the Donald Blake thing for Jane. When Jane is holding the Hammer she'll be Thor, when she's not she's ordinary mortal Jane.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Never read the comments. Ever! And yeah I know what you mean.

I also find the Thor is a Man shit funny considering i think 2 or 3 times in Norse myths he turns into a woman because, I dunno, why not?

Wasn't aware Thor of the mythology was non-binary. I mean really, what possible refuge is there left for the anti-woke misogynists when rapey-pillagy Vikings were more woke than they are?

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Never read the comments. Ever! And yeah I know what you mean.

I also find the Thor is a Man shit funny considering i think 2 or 3 times in Norse myths he turns into a woman because, I dunno, why not?

I can recall at least one story where Thor disguises himself as a woman, im not sure about turning into a woman though. Could be the case though, will do some digging

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Wow, just read a news article where the "fuck off she-Thor" sentiment seems to have a fair number vocal advocates. They do all seem to be MCU fans who don't have the first clue about the comics "Thor is a man!" type responses. There are people who are skeptical of Natalie Portman being suited to the role but are totally fine with a female Thor storyline. But it seems like the edgelords are using this to draw more battle lines in their online culture war.

Im always skeptical of this as a response. “I have no problem with X....just not with Y!” always seems a flimsy excuse to me and i usually think its just an excuse that actually yes, they do have a problem with X.

As for comedy, i meam i know its not the same, certainly very different from Watiti’s humour, but Natalie was great on SNL

2 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I can recall at least one story where Thor disguises himself as a woman, im not sure about turning into a woman though. Could be the case though, will do some digging

Im always skeptical of this as a response. “I have no problem with X....just not with Y!” always seems a flimsy excuse to me and i usually think its just an excuse that actually yes, they do have a problem with X.

As for comedy, i meam i know its not the same, certainly very different from Watiti’s humour, but Natalie was great on SNL

Fair to be skeptical about that kind of response, but also to be fair to me, I'm skeptical of Portman being able to pull it off, and I've wanted the female Thor in the MCU ever since I found out she was a thing in the comics. I was mostly looking for them to adapt it in a way that she wasn't Jane, or to recast Jane with a different actor. Though up until Ragnarok and now the confirmation of Waititi doing Thor 4, the recast idea was mostly on the basis that Portman had no desire to reprise the role.

But now, either Portman always was interested in coming back, or they offered her enough money and you just don't turn those kinds of offers down, or they have some dirt on her. I'm guessing the dirt option is highly unlikely, but I do wonder which of the more likely options is the truth. Her tweeting / Instagramming that she excited to be returning means nothing, that's all just part of the marketing. I hope she is genuinely excited and not doing it for the payday. She might be a professional and Oscar winning actor, but if you're only doing it for the money that's going to come through in the performance.

I think the Portman+CGI bod thing could be goofy fun if they went at it the right way (I'm no Hollywood writer or I'd know what that was more specifically). I agree that she doubtful wouldn't have returned had the role not had some heft to it. /Dad Joke. 

I'm sure if she really threw herself into it, the way Daise Ridley did to get into crazy good shape for Star Wars, an older Portman could probably pull off some good physicality without CGI'ing her up into Blonde Gal Gadot. I think it's a great idea if they pull it off, and I have faith they will.

Memory wonky, I think Loki is the one that actually transforms into a woman at one point.

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Don’t remember her and Thor ever actually making out, but to be fair I’ve tried to wipe those films from my brain

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I think the Portman+CGI bod thing could be goofy fun if they went at it the right way (I'm no Hollywood writer or I'd know what that was more specifically). I agree that she doubtful wouldn't have returned had the role not had some heft to it. /Dad Joke. 

I'm sure if she really threw herself into it, the way Daise Ridley did to get into crazy good shape for Star Wars, an older Portman could probably pull off some good physicality without CGI'ing her up into Blonde Gal Gadot. I think it's a great idea if they pull it off, and I have faith they will.

Endgame showed that you don't have to be in a peak physical state in order to be Thor so they could just have Natalie Portman in some armour with a helmet. Probably a lot more positive than saying there's a better version of Natalie Portman waiting to be unlocked. Endgame would have dropped the ball had Thor returned to magnificent Hemsworth the moment he picked up mjolnir.

I know she transforms in the comics but there's no reason why she has to in the films. 

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Memory wonky, I think Loki is the one that actually transforms into a woman at one point.

Don’t remember her and Thor ever actually making out, but to be fair I’ve tried to wipe those films from my brain

Loki was also a female horse once in the myths. He even had children. 

8 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Not Beta Ray Bill?

Him and thor frog would both be welcome

How well Female Thor will be received I think will highly depend on how Thor is handled. Were they to simply try and just replace Thor as he is now (kind of fat and funny) and kind of dump on his legacy then I don't think it will go well. However if Thor continues as a character in GotG and he is at the same time being awesome then it will be quite easy to accept. 

There of course has been an issue in the Marvel comic world of a backlash at attempts to replace legacy characters with a more diverse range of players. I think if you handle things properly and with respect then the 'edge lords' will be a bit more silent. 

I also don't expect She Thor will be any sort of on the nose feminist propaganda, Waititi is too smart to do that and even Captain Marvel was pretty mild in pushing that sort of thing. If the movie is as awesome as Ragnarok then I think it will be highly popular and we won't see many complaints. I haven't seen much backlash to these announcements so far anyway, and I think there is too much weight given to some unreasonable loud voices in corners of the internet. 

On 7/16/2019 at 6:40 PM, The Mother of The Others said:

Jane Foster comes back as Femme Thor

I want lots of new dimensions from Strange 2.

predict everything and some of it will be true!     Not knowing the comics story, my first thought was Love and Thunder could be the MCU's twist on the vampire love story, where Thor is faced with the prospect of either watching Jane grow old and die or helping her to become a god so they can share the eons together.   Of course, there's more teary eyed drama to it if something bad happens to Thor to push Jane into godding up.   But you don't, like, wish for that.

If watching a kung fu story is the price we must pay to see The Mandarin, so be it.  kung fu is a better than average way to kill time.   

The Widow movie (and how it fits in) should be an oddball misfit mystery to us, the same way Widow is an enigma.   What if it's actually the ultimate jailbreak movie?  From out of Limbo.   Using a This Is Your Life format to show us she had soul in spades, and that tickles the soul stone into coughing her up.   Or the movie could be "not what it seems" in a more mundane way, cuz of spy stuff.

Strange just got plenty strange.   I was hoping for the sorcerer supreme playoffs, with some pervs from other realms as the doctor's competition.   But this is the best guy to drop a multiverse on his lap.   Horror?    Yeah.  Sure.  Okay.   Maybe it could work.  The Dark Willow Witch Meltdown from Buffy season 6 all over again with better special effects?

Loki has 3 kids, i remember.  One was the world serpent? Another Fenrir.  Hela the third?  Then why do I also remember him getting knocked up while disguised as a female horse.   But that would mean 4 kids.   Too late for this shit, bed time yo.

Archived