Football: 'Let's talk about six, baby'

AncalagonTheBlack

10 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Allardyce on BBC website saying he turned it down. If Allardyce turns you down you know you are proper fucked. 

Don't you worry, Broken Nose Geordie Steve Bruce will never turn down the chance to swap clubs. He is a promotion expert, so after he's relegated you he will be able to bring you straight back up!

29 minutes ago, Raja said:

Sigh. It's looking like a not so great summer for us so far

Oh dear. I thought we could still get one more good season out of him - he's still a useful CB and better than the other options we have.

He's our best CB, Holding & Sokratis are close seconds, but Holding won't be fit for the start of the season.

This probably means Mustafi ends up staying, doesn't it?

Not great.

I had forgot how well Holding was playing before his injury.  That seems like a long time ago.

Liverpool’s first pre-season game was a 6-0 win at Tranmere.  Not a remotely competitive fixture, and mostly comprising of kids for Liverpool, but nice that they had some decent coordination and good fitness for the game.

12 hours ago, Raja said:

He's our best CB, Holding & Sokratis are close seconds, but Holding won't be fit for the start of the season.

This probably means Mustafi ends up staying, doesn't it?

Not great.

Yes, Mustafi will definitely stay if Kos is leaving. Holding has lots of promise - I hope he stays an Arsenal player for a long time and ties up one of those CB positions for close to a decade.

14 hours ago, Raja said:

Sigh. It's looking like a not so great summer for us so far

It's amazing how terrible this team and management is these days. When your captain and player of nine years wants to leave for free, you know shit is fucked up.

Don'T you still have Chambers? I know Arsenal fans don't particularly rate him. But he is still relatively young with a bad injury history. But I think he can still turn out to be a very sound CB.

In other news.

Long object and Liverpool legend Peter Crouch has announced his retirement.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Don'T you still have Chambers? I know Arsenal fans don't particularly rate him. But he is still relatively young with a bad injury history. But I think he can still turn out to be a very sound CB.

In other news.

Long object and Liverpool legend Peter Crouch has announced his retirement.

I think Chambers played really well for Fulham (mostly in a DM role). I'm not sure the fans are against him so much as I just don't think the club rates him. I'd give him a go personally or sell him for big English premium money. They're wasting him by loaning him out every season.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Atleti will be relieved after spending all that on Felix!

Atleti only signed Felix because Griezmann was definitely leaving. Another thing to consider is that Atleti have not payed all that money up front. They negotiated with Benfica for a fee (€126m) greater that Felix's release clause (€120m) in exchange for the fee to be paid in instalments. There were reports that Atleti's initial payment to Benfica was €30m + €12m agent fee to Jorge Mendes +€1.2m due to Porto. The remaining €96m will be paid in an unspecified number of instalments. 

The issue with the Griezmann transfer was that Atleti were refusing to negotiate with Barca which meant that Barca were forced to trigger his release clause which means full payment in one lump sum. Reports were that Bartomeu was busy sorting out Barca's credit lines so that the €120m lump sum would not affect further transfer business.

ETA. Officially confirmed now that Barca have signed Griezmann.

This looks photoshopped. :D

Anyway...

I wonder how this will affect Neymar's plans. I mean, Barca surely cannot sign both this window, Neymar and Griezman. So will he now stay reluctantly stay at PSG, or will somebody else cough up the money for PSG's injury prone diva. I mean a healthy Neymar will improve any given team, but he comes with a hefty price tag.

I think the Neymar transfer can only happen if PSG accept players as part of the deal. There was talk that Barca were open to offering Coutinho, Umtiti and Rakitic as part of the deal. Dembele's name has been thrown around as well.

Archived