Video Games: Keanu Re3ves Is Breathtaking

KiDisaster

23 hours ago, RumHam said:

I've only made one so far. 3QK-6B7-NYG I think it's mostly traditional other than having a hidden alternate path to the end that's not even really a shortcut. 

I like this, I gave you a like and a comment in-game. The Hammer Bros. are rough if you lose your flower though! I like the layout. 

1 hour ago, Inigima said:

I like this, I gave you a like and a comment in-game. The Hammer Bros. are rough if you lose your flower though! I like the layout. 

Thanks, there's definitely a few things I'd change in retrospect. I'm gonna try to polish mine a bit more before uploading in the future. I really liked your fire swamp map. 

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

Thanks, there's definitely a few things I'd change in retrospect. I'm gonna try to polish mine a bit more before uploading in the future. I really liked your fire swamp map. 

Thanks! 

There's always going to be small stuff you'll regret not changing, so don't feel bad about that. It's just nice to see a level that had some thought put into making it fun. There's a lot of drek out there that's just tedious or mean. I Like levels I think are good and sometimes leave a comment, and I do nothing on levels that are just kinda mediocre, but I Boo levels that are hostile to the player. 

For me in Fire Swamp the stuff I would change is the wooden block that makes it hard to dismount from the vine, and the fact that there isn't a checkpoint, both of which I got some good feedback on. Neither is a showstopper but I'll definitely be taking it under advisement for future levels.

I've been thinking of picking up Battle Brothers. However, while the RPG mechanics seem to be interesting and well detailed, I'm not sure the payoff is there for the battles. I get this is an indie developer, but I wish they could have done more than characters being shown just as busts.

So in Total War: Three Kingdoms news, I ended up abandoning my Liu Bei game right before the finish line. I was going to win, but I was overextended and the turns were just taking forever. Not load times, its installed an SSD and is great, its more that the map is so big and I had so many armies that I needed to do a ton of micro-managing. If I wasn't overextended and had a roaring economy I probably could've ignored it all and just focused on winning the last few battles. But since I was so close to being in debt, I had to be very careful about building the best economy-boosting buildings I could and balancing that between raising new armies.

So I switched to a Zheng Jiang campaign. Unfortunately for that one, after about 30 turns I felt like I wasn't playing the campaign to her strengths. I was also stuck in the position of Yuan Shao being my obvious next target for expansion, but he was my only ally and I really needed his protection. Also Lady Wu (Sun Jian and Sun Ce died and I don't know what happened to Sun Quan) was a steamroller, she'd even vassalized Cao Cao already. So I abandoned that campaign.

Now I'm Gong Du. It's early goings, so far all I've done is conquer the northern Shu region and am in a war with Liu Yan. I plan to consolidate the region before spreading outwards. The Yellow Turbans really play differently than other factions though, and I'm not sure I'm being optimal at all. It's a totally different tech tree, which also works differently; instead of getting one tech every 5 turns you have to research them. Better techs take longer, but there's ways to increase your research speed. Generals are recruited differently and mechanisms behind which units they're allowed to recruit is different. And there's no diplomacy with other factions (except the other Yellow Turbans) besides "Declare War" and "Make Peace" and you can't even throw other terms into peace deals, which eliminates all incentive for ever doing it.

It's also neat how all the flavor text is completely different for them. I already discovered when playing as Zheng Jiang that some of that stuff changes between every faction, but for the Yellow Turbans its completely different.

22 minutes ago, Fez said:

So in Total War: Three Kingdoms news, I ended up abandoning my Liu Bei game right before the finish line. I was going to win, but I was overextended and the turns were just taking forever. Not load times, its installed an SSD and is great, its more that the map is so big and I had so many armies that I needed to do a ton of micro-managing. If I wasn't overextended and had a roaring economy I probably could've ignored it all and just focused on winning the last few battles. But since I was so close to being in debt, I had to be very careful about building the best economy-boosting buildings I could and balancing that between raising new armies.

So I switched to a Zheng Jiang campaign. Unfortunately for that one, after about 30 turns I felt like I wasn't playing the campaign to her strengths. I was also stuck in the position of Yuan Shao being my obvious next target for expansion, but he was my only ally and I really needed his protection. Also Lady Wu (Sun Jian and Sun Ce died and I don't know what happened to Sun Quan) was a steamroller, she'd even vassalized Cao Cao already. So I abandoned that campaign.

Now I'm Gong Du. It's early goings, so far all I've done is conquer the northern Shu region and am in a war with Liu Yan. I plan to consolidate the region before spreading outwards. The Yellow Turbans really play differently than other factions though, and I'm not sure I'm being optimal at all. It's a totally different tech tree, which also works differently; instead of getting one tech every 5 turns you have to research them. Better techs take longer, but there's ways to increase your research speed. Generals are recruited differently and mechanisms behind which units they're allowed to recruit is different. And there's no diplomacy with other factions (except the other Yellow Turbans) besides "Declare War" and "Make Peace" and you can't even throw other terms into peace deals, which eliminates all incentive for ever doing it.

It's also neat how all the flavor text is completely different for them. I already discovered when playing as Zheng Jiang that some of that stuff changes between every faction, but for the Yellow Turbans its completely different.

Additional diplomatic options are unlocked at higher ranks, I think starting with the 3rd one, "Enlightened" or whatever it's called. It's the game's way of saying, look you're a rebel, but when you become powerful enough, other factions start treating you more seriously. Honestly, I don't know why the outlaws aren't in the same boat. The Yellow Turbans really do have some OP units, though I suppose that's to balance their diplomatic problems.

On the late game issues, in does become a grind, but it still has its challenges. I've been grinding away in my Sun Jian campaign. The map is now essentially split between me and Gongsun Zan transformed into the Kingdom of Yan. All other factions are either our vassals or members of my coalition, with only He Yi standing apart, and literally wedged in between us. His vassals, though, are more useful than mine. Right now, I'm dealing with multiple incursions all over my northern borders, and not enough armies to deal with them all. Despite all the battles I've won, I may be losing the war.

The biggest issue is that character interactions at this late stage either becomes too much of a headache, or can simply can be ignored if they're all well satisfied. For Sun Jian, given his heroism mechanic, it's the latter. Thus the game transforms into a typical Total War game where you're only focusing on military expansion.

You also keep getting rotten deals in late game. As soon as you declare emperor, it becomes easier to vasalize factions, but factions also start hating you more. I kept being faced with lose-lose situations, when a vassal was attacked by someone I had deals with. No matter what you choose, you sink further into treachery, thus limiting your diplomatic options. That's when I had to start going "America first" and focus more on my internal economy for a steady income rather than trade deals. Also, keeping vassals, rather than happy neighbors, is, imo more important in the late game, since due to the the added tributes for income, and again, not having to rely so much on trade income.

CDPR has teamed up with Refused (Swedish (Heja Sverige!) punk band) to produce music in the Cyberpunk universe. First up? Taking on the role of the legendary band SAMURAI, they've released their classic "Chippin' In" (lyrics appear different from what the sourcebooks had, it looks like):

48 minutes ago, Ran said:

CDPR has teamed up with Refused (Swedish (Heja Sverige!) punk band) to produce music in the Cyberpunk universe. First up? Taking on the role of the legendary band SAMURAI, they've released their classic "Chippin' In" (lyrics appear different from what the sourcebooks had, it looks like):

The Shape of (Cyber)punk to Come.

I tried out your levels, @Inigima and @RumHam!

I liked all the ones I tried. Rumham, your level was very creative and I liked the many paths you could take to get to the end. At times I'd say there was a bit too much going on at once in terms of enemies being everywhere. Inigima, I especially liked your Fire Swamp, which made great use of verticality. I also like your new ghost level a lot, though I thought the elevator sequence towards the end disrupted the flow a little.

I've really enjoyed my time with this game, though I've barely dabbled with the creation side. The process seems impressively intuitive and streamlined though. Once I get the hang of it I'll post a level or two.

10 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I tried out your levels, @Inigima and @RumHam!

I liked all the ones I tried. Rumham, your level was very creative and I liked the many paths you could take to get to the end. At times I'd say there was a bit too much going on at once in terms of enemies being everywhere.

Yeah. I only just realized you can check where people died on your level and my pacing definitely could have been a lot better.  I was just excited and wanted to get something up there. There's also a part where enemies from one of the upper levels can drop down on the lower unexpectedly and I did not intend that. 

Also according to the deaths on my level a surprising number of people don't seem to know that you can just run across one block gaps. I shouldn't have started with that right off the bat. 

My second attempt at a level I think I'm just gonna trash. It's a vertical level with two paths up but they're so different they could probably be two separate levels. I think I should focus more on making one well made path with maybe a few little secrets. 

Minor thing I discovered in Inquisitor: Martyr that doesn't really matter but keeps bugging me; they're ignoring the traditional color coding of item rarity. It goes White>Blue>Green>Purple, and I keep on getting confused why my green items seem better than my blue ones.

Thanks for the kind words. Funnily enough, when I was making Fire Swamp I had to redesign some of the mole bits because they would fall down from above. Ultimately I had to contain them more completely so they couldn't fall. Extensive playtesting is definitely important. 

When you say the elevator breaks the flow, what do you mean? It was designed as a series of "tricks" in the Ghost House style, so the falling snake block is just another one of the tricks. I will say that in my incoming redesign I have made the ride shorter out of necessity — one of the goals was to prevent the Boo circle from being visible after you leave that area, so I had to shift the snake block area over to the right to get it out of sight. Maybe that'll work better for you. I haven't posted the rework yet, I'm gonna sleep on it and test it again tomorrow, but I'm going to have to delete the old one in order to replace it, though it pains me to lose the plays and likes. 

14 hours ago, Inigima said:

Thanks for the kind words. Funnily enough, when I was making Fire Swamp I had to redesign some of the mole bits because they would fall down from above. Ultimately I had to contain them more completely so they couldn't fall. Extensive playtesting is definitely important. 

When you say the elevator breaks the flow, what do you mean? It was designed as a series of "tricks" in the Ghost House style, so the falling snake block is just another one of the tricks. I will say that in my incoming redesign I have made the ride shorter out of necessity — one of the goals was to prevent the Boo circle from being visible after you leave that area, so I had to shift the snake block area over to the right to get it out of sight. Maybe that'll work better for you. I haven't posted the rework yet, I'm gonna sleep on it and test it again tomorrow, but I'm going to have to delete the old one in order to replace it, though it pains me to lose the plays and likes. 

Maybe it's just because I played too much Super Mario World ghost levels as a kid, but it felt like a deescalation of your tricks; I was expecting it to happen. It seemed to interrupt the buildup of the level. I was thinking that it could work as the lead-in to the entire level rather than being close to the end.  But it might work better now that it's shorter.

So I finally beat Sekiro.  My thoughts:

I really loved it loved the story (although its essentially the same story as the Wolverine movie which is odd).  I don't see myself playing it again though, as to me there is next to no replayability which is a change from my previous fromsoft adventures.  I would say its because the weapon is static.  Sure you could use the shinobi tools more but it essentially boils down to always deflect-deflect-slash-jump/makiri-slash deflect-deflect over and over.  Once you figure out the combat is essentially like playing Rock Band or DDR it becomes really quite easy.

Have been playing a lot of Three Kingdoms Total War.  It's certainly a *lot* better than the previous few (read everything after med 2) entries but is that more because the setting is my Jam?  Probably.  I will get mostly bored with it though as because of how the scenario is laid out it essentially plays the same way everytime. Yuan Shaoo/Gongsun Zan runs the north, Cao Cao really never does much unless you gift him lands.  the Dong faction takes the northwest, and the Suns take over the entire south making the late game a slog.  They really need DLC scenario packs..  Also more unique looking generals would be fun particularly they should make Deng Ai and Jiang Wei unique to liven up the later years once everybody starts dying.

39 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Have been playing a lot of Three Kingdoms Total War.  It's certainly a *lot* better than the previous few (read everything after med 2) entries but is that more because the setting is my Jam?  Probably.  I will get mostly bored with it though as because of how the scenario is laid out it essentially plays the same way everytime. Yuan Shaoo/Gongsun Zan runs the north, Cao Cao really never does much unless you gift him lands.  the Dong faction takes the northwest, and the Suns take over the entire south making the late game a slog.  They really need DLC scenario packs..  Also more unique looking generals would be fun particularly they should make Deng Ai and Jiang Wei unique to liven up the later years once everybody starts dying.

I suspect that later start dates will absolutely come out at some point; at the very least 200 and 208. Maybe also a 217/18 (depending if they Shu to have Jing or not).

Also, funnily enough, my first two games went how you described, but my third one as Gong Du has been pretty different; through 203 at least. Liu Bei has taken over the North, rather than Yuan Shao; the central region is still fractured but Cao Cao is actually holding is own; Kong Rong (!) sent a western expedition and controls most of the northwest alongside his usual area (and has control of the emperor); and the Suns got pretty screwed first by Liu Baio and then by me, and as best I can tell the South is pretty evenly divided between them, Shi Xie, Liu Baio, and Liu Yao.

I'm hoping this kind of chaotic outcome has become more possible from patch changes and its not a one-time thing I won't see again.

4 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I doubt it's any good, but I made my first real Mario Maker level; it has a forest/lake piranha theme. Give it a shot, and please feel free to provide criticism!

272-GJ4-DTG

Nice work, I like the difficulty. Those bone fish don't mess around. After killing the first hammer brother up by the big coin I kept running jumping and falling on the second and dying. Maybe it's just me but I'd move him back a little or something. or put a platform to land on from that jump. 

Just finished my first Super Mario World level. It has some underwater parts. I'm not good at naming them. 

N4V-C71-0XF

Archived