Police - a thin blue line, a wad of cash and scary guns

ants

39 minutes ago, Week said:

If only there were warning signs...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1215691?

12 in 19 years doesn't sound a huge amount to me TBF to the scumbag. The public will complain about any old shite. Some justified, some nonsensical. 

I dont know about over there, but complaints have dropped off a cliff since we started to wear body worn video. I dont know if that is because officers have modified their behavior or the public know frivolous complaints are easily disproven, probably both. 

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

12 in 19 years doesn't sound a huge amount to me TBF to the scumbag. The public will complain about any old shite. Some justified, some nonsensical. 

I dont know about over there, but complaints have dropped off a cliff since we started to wear body worn video. I dont know if that is because officers have modified their behavior or the public know frivolous complaints are easily disproven, probably both. 

From the article.

To be the subject of a dozen complaints over a two-decade career would appear "a little bit higher than normal," said Mylan Masson, a retired Minneapolis Park police officer and longtime police training expert for the state of Minnesota at Hennepin Technical College.

*Shrug* Seems unlikely that he was a good egg before committing premeditated murder (his knee put on George Floyd's neck for NINE minutes).

10 minutes ago, Week said:

From the article.

*Shrug* Seems unlikely that he was a good egg before committing premeditated murder (his knee put on George Floyd's neck for NINE minutes).

There is no doubt he's a scumbag, but my meekest officer got 3 complaints last year. Complaints and being a violent thug are not correlated.  Substantiated complaints with action taken is different.

That being said, with what I read about US police depts I have literally no trouble believing their was evidence of wrongdoing on all 12, and nothing was done about it. That country is fucked up. 

5 hours ago, sologdin said:

crazy how powerful the police unions are

are they? i thought that they generally were prohibited from strikes, for instance. 

I don't know if they can strike or not. It's just nuts how these guys routinely get away with murder. I'm for locking them all up. Not a good cop out there. We should reset the whole police experiment and make some strict rules about who can be a cop. Starting with, if you've been a cop up to this point then you're disqualified.

8 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

It's just nuts how these guys routinely get away with murder. I'm for locking them all up. Not a good cop out there. We should reset the whole police experiment and make some strict rules about who can be a cop. Starting with, if you've been a cop up to this point then you're disqualified.

This is a genius idea.  We should lock up all cops.  Then, of course, we'll need new cops, let alone corrections officers.  After a short period, we lock all them up too.  Pretty soon, we can all rest easy.  In jail.

51 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I don't know if they can strike or not. It's just nuts how these guys routinely get away with murder. I'm for locking them all up. Not a good cop out there. We should reset the whole police experiment and make some strict rules about who can be a cop. Starting with, if you've been a cop up to this point then you're disqualified.

Too far.  US police have a serious problem and the “good” among them are suppressed by the “bad”.  But that does not mean they should all be imprisioned (apparently without trial).

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

It's important to know, as someone who is an outsider from someone who lives in the city, more or less, that Minneapolis is part of the Twin Cities, sister cities that are two but one. Another one of these horrific incidents also occurred in St. Paul rather recently. Frankly a number of them have been happening here over the last few years. And the footage in this instance just proves and justifies the anger so many have been feeling for a very long time. 

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Too far.  US police have a serious problem and the “good” among them are suppressed by the “bad”.  But that does not mean they should all be imprisioned (apparently without trial).

I'm not sure there is a way to control the root of the problem. It's the same thing in the military. Following the chain of command and not telling on one another for possible mistakes. The culture is authoritarian, and to break from that can destroy your career. At least in the U.S.

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

I don't know if they can strike or not. It's just nuts how these guys routinely get away with murder. I'm for locking them all up.

Regardless if striking is legal or not, cops cannot do it. Because if they did do it, everyone would know how useless cops are. Only jobs that actually produce something of value for society have a practical ability to go on strike.

23 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

You're (obviously) right, but I do think the entirety of them have to be removed and never allowed to police again. The whole structure of policing has to be redone. It needs to be a civil service job where the priority is helping people. I don't see how else you fix this problem. They are outright murdering people on camera. I listened to the audio of this one, so my view of this specific incident may be misinformed (like I said, I can't watch it), but it sounded like to me, the cop was basically keeping his knee there because he didn't like onlookers telling him what to do. The system is rotten all the way through, and I can't believe there are any good cops.

12 minutes ago, dbergkvist said:

Regardless if striking is legal or not, cops cannot do it. Because if they did do it, everyone would know how useless cops are. Only jobs that actually produce something of value for society have a practical ability to go on strike.

That's interesting--you're reminding me of when they did "strike" (refused to be proactive in their policing) in New York City. And they showed exactly how useless they were.

i recall this debate on marxist boards several decades ago. it was typically phrased as an inquiry into whether police in capitalist society are proletarian workers, with all of the concomitant significances thereof.  my position then was that they are in fact proletarians subject to exploitative surplus extraction, even if they work directly for the state.  their product is abstract and ideological, something like 'security' or 'tranquility' or 'civil peace'--we need a rhetoric here that is precise and not silly, and i had then not captured it.

i think now i'd phrase it as ataraxia, the pyrrhonian cardinal virtue--but elevated from the solitary soul to the polis itself--a process that has plenty of ancient precedent, such as in plato's republic.  this sort of abstract political virtue has value for the capitalist order--it is the difference between regular commerce and apocalyptic cessation, readily quantified by recent events. in this regard, their production is the condition of possibility of all other production.

we might evaluate whether police actually achieve some quantum of civil ataraxia when functioning as de jure intended--but focusing on deviancy from the intention (such as in unwarranted killings of citizens on the basis of irrational race animus) is not really relevant to that latter point, except to indicate that the enforcers of civil ataraxia are drawn from the same pool in need of enforcement.

The protests are going to get even fucking worse tonight. This DA is fucking tripping all over his fucking dick trying to say there may be exculpatory evidence.

The U.S. Attorney just fucking stepped in it too. Way to fuck up an already tense situation.

We are sitting on a powder keg right now and the cops don't know how to do anything but escalate. Things are going to get ugly.

Archived