U.S. Politics: Trump of the Will

who said it?

Today I am at the head of the strongest Army in the world, the most gigantic Air Force and of a proud Navy. Behind me stands the Party with which I became great and which has become great through me.

This whole edifice of civilization is in its foundations and in all its stones nothing else than the result of the creative capacity, the achievement, the intelligence, the industry, of individuals: in its greatest triumphs it represents the great crowning achievement of individual God-favored geniuses, in its average accomplishment the achievement of men of average capacity, and in its sum doubtless the result of the use of human labor-force in order to turn to account the creations of genius and of talent.

This is the last disgusting death-rattle of a corrupt and outworn system which is a blot on the history of this people. Since the civil war, in which the southern states were conquered, against all historical logic and sound sense, the American people have been in a condition of political and popular decay. In that war, it was not the Southern States, but the American people themselves who were conquered. In this spurious blossoming of economic progress and power politics, America has ever since been drawn deeper into the mire of progressive self-destruction. The beginnings of a great new social order based on the principle of slavery and inequality were destroyed by that war, and with them also the embryo of a future truly great America that would not have been ruled by a corrupt caste of tradesmen, but by a real Herren-class that would have swept away all the falsities of liberty and equality.

The duck waddles the waddle, it quacks the quack, it fishes in dirty waters, it's a duck. It doesn't pretend to be an otter.

Why do racists weep when called racists, what they waddle, quack and fish?  Even going so far as to say it's a great political strategy. Why do they think it is worse of other people to call them out for what they are, racists, than to be the racists they are? 

A colleague whose subject this is, says it goes back to Goldwater.  This is his subject so he is more than likely right.  But we didn't have time to for him to explain it to me, beyond, "That was when the parties switched sides."  So I don't understand.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

A colleague whose subject this is, says it goes back to Goldwater.  This is his subject so he is more than likely right.  But we didn't have time to for him to explain it to me, beyond, "That was when the parties switched sides."  So I don't understand.

Well, it coincides with the (probably) apocryphal LBJ quote of "we just lost the South for a generation" upon signing the 64 CRA, as that's when Goldwater won the nomination.  That's generally when it's understood the GOP began the long process of integrating "conservative" democrats.

So I was busy yesterday but Rakich at 538 had a nice rundown of Morning Consult's newly updated Senate approval rating's - noting particularly that Susan Collins is now the second most unpopular Senator (the first?  Why Mitch McConnell, of course):

With these latest numbers from Morning Consult, Collins has a Popularity Above Replacement Senator score of +2 — in other words, she is just 2 points more popular than we’d expect a generic Republican to be in Maine. Just three months ago, her PARS score was +18. That personal popularity was supposed to go a long way toward helping her get reelected against the partisan tide. But now her popularity simply falls along party lines, just like it does for fellow vulnerable Republican Sens. Cory Gardner (a +1 PARS), Joni Ernst (-1) and Martha McSally (-6), who are also up for reelection in 2020.

It should also be noted that Thom Tillis, who also is thought to be a vulnerable GOP incumbent, is only at 33/35.  Of course, may not be the best time to imagine the Dems' chances in NC.

@Triskele, I'm not sure about other politicians plans for student debt--though I think it's quickly becoming a medicare for all type issue (thank God). I listened to an Andrew Yang interview on Chapo Trap House the other day, and he is staunchly for it, though it's not the thing he talks about (UBI for him). So I think it's there for a lot of those running.

P.S. I'm not advocating for Yang :) 

Edit: Ugh, Buttigieg hiring Goldman Sachs exec as policy director. Pete's dead last now, for me, in the front runners...well, maybe Biden then Pete.

1 minute ago, Simon Steele said:

Trisk, I'm not sure about other politicians plans for student debt--though I think it's quickly becoming a medicare for all type issue (thank God). I listened to an Andrew Yang interview on Chapo Trap House the other day, and he is staunchly for it, though it's not the thing he talks about (UBI for him). So I think it's there for a lot of those running.

P.S. I'm not advocating for Yang :) 

I would rather have a con artist anti-vaxxer as the nom than a man who wears a shirt without a tie... But I'm a big fan of Universal Basic Income as a concept myself.

15 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I would rather have a con artist anti-vaxxer as the nom than a man who wears a shirt without a tie... But I'm a big fan of Universal Basic Income as a concept myself.

What about Universal Basic Jaceism? I think that could be workable.

Also, D-Money makes some good points about Republicans being vulnerable in the Senate.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

What about Universal Basic Jaceism? I think that could be workable.

Also, D-Money makes some good points about Republicans being vulnerable in the Senate.

The Universe is far to Basic to support Jaceism. I would have thought you off all people should know that.

I was surprised to see Collins plummet so far from grace. I guess I did my Senate breakdown half a week too early.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

That was some straight Nuremberg s*** we saw this week.

Anyways, continue.

This is honestly whats really worrying me.  This behavior is the kind of thing that gets people killed.  People are radicalizing before our eyes.  The GOP has gone crazy obsessive about a small group of extremely junior congressmen, despite having almost complete control of the federal government, and a majority of state legislatures, in many cases with a MINORITY of the population.  And the left wing of the liberals is only a few side behind them in their level of rage.

If the moderate middle doesn't do something, I think we're heading for some serious civil strife within a decade.  Both parties seem to be captured by their 5% extreme.

America is one of the most heavily armed civilian populations on the planet.  I fear that if we fall, we're going to fall very, very, far.

48 minutes ago, argonak said:

This is honestly whats really worrying me.  This behavior is the kind of thing that gets people killed.  People are radicalizing before our eyes.  The GOP has gone crazy obsessive about a small group of extremely junior congressmen, despite having almost complete control of the federal government, and a majority of state legislatures, in many cases with a MINORITY of the population.  And the left wing of the liberals is only a few side behind them in their level of rage.

If the moderate middle doesn't do something, I think we're heading for some serious civil strife within a decade.  Both parties seem to be captured by their 5% extreme.

America is one of the most heavily armed civilian populations on the planet.  I fear that if we fall, we're going to fall very, very, far.

Lol no. One, the entire GOP is extreme and most of the base, almost an overwhelming majority of it, supports what’s going on.

this is some centrist both sides garbage.

Every moment tvillain lives, he's a big fat lie:  Omar's Minneapolis Airport reception was staged AND the numbers were tiny.  Also shot down in the Persian Gulf a drone that doesn't exist.

And don't forget Epstein isn't a pedophile.  He never had sex with children but mature females of 13 and 14.

And totally, none of them are racists or rapists or liars.

There is so much to impeach with it's beyond belief.  Or just arrest him for the same criminal behaviors others are arrested on every single day. That would save so much time, trouble and money.

"THEY'RE NOT LIKE US"

"THEY'RE A THREAT TO OUR WAY OF LIFE!!!"

Donald: uhhh... who in this administration can I trust for good advice? Who am I kidding... lets do it John, you're the last person I talked to.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/mueller-witness-and-jared-kushners-middle-east-fixer-hit-with-sex-trafficking-charges/

don’t have exact numbers or anything but kinda seems like trumps circles seem to have a greater than average amount of pedophiles and sex monsters... maybe it’s just a coincidence though

7 minutes ago, a good and nice guy said:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/mueller-witness-and-jared-kushners-middle-east-fixer-hit-with-sex-trafficking-charges/

don’t have exact numbers or anything but kinda seems like trumps circles seem to have a greater than average amount of pedophiles and sex monsters... maybe it’s just a coincidence though

Nah. They're just much less used to being in the political and legal limelight than our typical politicians, so they've been significantly less cautious. 

Archived