u.s. politics: sundowning on the american empire

1 hour ago, Bonnot OG said:

Cany wait for the Cheney family to go extinct. Just such terrible bigoted people.

Can't wait for the Cheney family to fully grasp the concept of irony. 

Emails show Stephen Miller pressed hard to limit green cards
One former Trump official said White House senior adviser Stephen Miller has maintained a “singular obsession” with the public charge rule.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/02/stephen-miller-green-card-immigration-1630406

White House senior adviser Stephen Miller wasn't getting an immigration regulation he wanted. So he sent a series of scorching emails to top immigration officials, calling the department an "embarrassment" for not acting faster, according to emails obtained by POLITICO.

The regulation in question would allow the Department of Homeland Security to bar legal immigrants from obtaining green cards if they receive certain government benefits. The rule will likely be released in the coming days, according to a pair of current and former Trump officials briefed on the timeline.

The emails, which POLITICO obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, shed new light on how aggressively Miller has pressured the Department of Homeland Security to move faster on regulations to limit immigration. Critics say the new rule will be used to shore up Trump's political base in the coming election year, and that it's an illegitimate tool to reduce legal immigration.

One former Trump official said Miller has maintained a “singular obsession” with the public charge rule, which he's argued would bring about a transformative change to U.S. immigration.

At the receiving end of Miller's pressure campaign was U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service Director Francis Cissna, an immigration hawk with strong support from restrictionist groups who resigned in May amid a broader Homeland Security Department shakeup that also saw the exit of former Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and other top officials.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

@drawkcabi interesting post! Who is he?

Beau of the Fifth Column

He used to be in the military and he also used to train police in advanced tactics. He quit his job because he couldn't abide the current policies of law enforcement and advocates strongly for police institutional reform. As a YouTube journalist he usually makes a 5 - 10 minute video once or twice a day on current events focusing on politics, giving his left leaning viewpoints, sometimes he makes longer videos like his ones on law enforcement.

He always seems to make great points and I highly recommend watching and even subscribing to him.

ETA:

His YouTube page:

https://www.youtube.com/user/unvoicedproject/featured

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

We all get hyperbolic here and there, but that might literally be the most tone deaf thing I've ever seen.  

Come on, that's the Cheney brand. Just keep kicking the libtards over and over in the balls until you are at 29% approval rating, then start advocating for torture and other human rights abuses. Obviously, the next generation of Cheneys will be arguing in favor of slavery and eugenics, as to always be at the very cutting edge of right-wing politics in the modern age.

Wow, we have already hit the Reagan old guy with melted brain phase with this Republican President. There isn't much other explanation, since Trump apparently doesn't take intoxicants. It would be a relief to know he was on shrooms at this point.

But later that day, speaking to reporters outside the White House, Trump said he likes when the press vets his nominees.

“Well no, you vet for me,” Trump said when a reporter asked about the White House’s vetting process. “I like when you vet, no, no, you vet. I think the White House is a great vetting process. You vet for me. When I give a name, I give it out to the press, and you vet for me.”

“A lot of times, you do a very good job, not always,” he continued. “If you take a look at it, the vetting process for the White House is very good, but you’re part of the vetting process, you know? I give out a name to the press, and they vet for me. We save a lot of money that way. But in the case of John, I really believe that he was being treated very harshly and very unfairly.”

Trump Attacks, Then Says He Relies On Press To Vet Nominees
The president blamed the “LameStream Media” earlier in the day for his decision to withdraw Rep. John Ratcliffe’s nomination for director of national intelligence.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-attacks-press-vet-nominees_n_5d44a22ae4b0acb57fcc8d1d

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

In Georgia, Puerto Ricans, who are US citizens, and when living on the US mainland can vote in all the elections, have had their citizenship documentation papers and passports taken away from them at the DMV when applying for new drivers licenses.  The pretext is 1) you must prove you're a US citizen; 2) when the documentation is handed over, it is taken away and never returned.  Then you can be deported to goddessa knows where.  It has happened.  There was a long report about this on NPR last month.

This is breathtakingly disturbing.

10 hours ago, Triskele said:

We all get hyperbolic here and there, but that might literally be the most tone deaf thing I've ever seen.  

Please this is just Liberal sensitivity run amok. I mean it is crucial that corporations be able to kill off an endangered species. Otherwise what’s the point of being alive? Sarcasm. 

But seriously she is literally using the type of rhetoric used to justify Western expansion. Not even subtlety. She might have just outright  said “those fucking Indians just hate white-people for being awesome and that’s why they’re opposing us” it would basically conveyed the same xenophobia/racist message Chenye was trying to get across.If pressed, I’d bet she couldn’t actually give a on how exactly “Western culture” is under threat by this and Just point to the loss of business due to private entities having to follow the law, and how inconvenient it is for the US to respect the sovereignty of Native American  tribes. Demonizing an already vulnerable group of people is totally worth it if for a few more millions being placed upon your already vast fortune. 

I bet she’s jealous of Brazil. There it’s becoming ok to just kill indigenous tribes to take their lands again. 

I guess all of a sudden it's the season - 22 shooting victims in hospital and multiple deaths after up to 3 gunmen opened fire in a shopping mall full of back to school shoppers in El Paso, Texas.

eta: seems the usual story is people think there were multiple gunmen, but appears there was only one.

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I guess all of a sudden it's the season - 22 shooting victims in hospital and multiple deaths after up to 3 gunmen opened fire in a shopping mall full of back to school shoppers in El Paso, Texas.

eta: seems the usual story is people think there were multiple gunmen, but appears there was only one.

Sgt. Robert Gomez on KVIA the El Paso ABC affiliate said they only know of one shooter, but the situation is fluid and there may be more.   The link I'm offering has live coverage.

https://www.kvia.com/news/el-paso/watch-live-updates-on-active-shooter-reported-near-cielo-vista/1103239371

Been wondering about this. I like this answer better than the Bernie Sanders answer to the same question.

Elizabeth Warren Is Not Worried About Senate Obstruction Of Her Ambitious Agenda
The Republicans’ failure to repeal the Affordable Care Act shows the power of a mobilized public, according to the Massachusetts senator.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-senate-obstruction-afscme-forum_n_5d45c39ae4b0ca604e32d8ac

Warren began by affirming that she believes Democrats will flip the Senate and take the presidency, even as they maintain control of the House.

She then said she would pursue items on her agenda that enjoy broad bipartisan support, starting with her plan to levy a 2% tax on personal wealth over $50 million.

“That’s not only supported by an overwhelming majority of Democrats, it’s not only supported by independents ― a majority of Republicans support that. So that’s a good place to start from,” she said.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said at the AFSCME forum in Las Vegas on Saturday that she wants to appoint a labor union lea
DAMON DAHLEN/HUFFPOST
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said at the AFSCME forum in Las Vegas on Saturday that she wants to appoint a labor union leader as secretary of labor.
Ralston noted that Senate obstructionists have at times defied public opinion in their efforts to block legislation.

But Warren countered that the failure of the Republican legislation repealing the Affordable Care Act in the GOP-controlled Senate in December 2017 shows the difficulty of any party ignoring public opinion when constituents mobilize for or against a particular policy. Three Republican senators joined all 48 members of the Senate Democratic Caucus to stop the bill in no small part because of public opposition and protest to repeal.

“Mitch McConnell worked against us every inch of the way,” she recalled of the Senate majority leader. “And how did we get it done? We did it because people across this country got organized, got mobilized, made their voices heard. I believe we can make democracy work.”

13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sgt. Robert Gomez on KVIA the El Paso ABC affiliate said they only know of one shooter, but the situation is fluid and there may be more.   The link I'm offering has live coverage.

https://www.kvia.com/news/el-paso/watch-live-updates-on-active-shooter-reported-near-cielo-vista/1103239371

I had just turned on CNN and I assumed they had numbers, since they usually don't give numbers if they are unknown. 

Oh, a state rep is talking and he's saying 19 in hospital, now he says north of 19, and the mall is a homicide scene.

Ah, CNN talked to two hospitals, both have received 11 injured so far.

49 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Been wondering about this. I like this answer better than the Bernie Sanders answer to the same question.

Elizabeth Warren Is Not Worried About Senate Obstruction Of Her Ambitious Agenda
The Republicans’ failure to repeal the Affordable Care Act shows the power of a mobilized public, according to the Massachusetts senator.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-senate-obstruction-afscme-forum_n_5d45c39ae4b0ca604e32d8ac

Especially when The Squad keeps on truckin' and if she and they truck together!  And have more elected.

Made another $$$ donation to their campaign organization a while back.  In today's mail I received a "We Are The Squad" t-shirt as a thank you.  It's nice weight cotton and quite cool.  :cheers:

It's awful what's happened in El Paso.  But the details are still unclear, so, as when I first saw mention of it earlier in the day -- and that was noon, as last night was a very late night -- I don't know enough.  I got texts from friends about it too, but they know no more than any of the rest of us.

1 hour ago, Bonnot OG said:

https://twitter.com/outsider609

that is the El Paso mass shooters twitter account. Gives you a good idea as to what his ideology is since the media won’t talk about it. Bigoted conservative, probably got even more radicalized with violent fantasies thanks to shit holes like 8 chan 

The number one terrorist threat in America is and remains to be, White Supremacist males.

Archived