Sign in to follow this  
A Horse Named Stranger

US Politics: The American Messias, Greenland and attacks on Jews voting Democrats. Or as we call it Wednesday.

AP-NORC poll: 62% Trump disapproval

Just 36% of Americans approve of the way Trump is handling his job as president; 62% disapprove.

Ouch.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I suspect that at this very moment there are Americans saying ‘If Denmark won’t sell us Greenland we should just take it’.

”sighs”

You would be correct. Though I suppose it's possible those are jokes, I just don't have that kind of faith in humanity anymore.

1 minute ago, TrueMetis said:

You would be correct. Though I suppose it's possible those are jokes, I just don't have that kind of faith in humanity anymore.

It would have fewer casualties than the Iraq invasion, seeing how you can only kill people once and only 60k people actually live in Greenland...

Does that qualify as a joke?  I don't even know anymore. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, DMC said:

AP-NORC poll: 62% Trump disapproval

Ouch.

I love to hear this...

“He does whatever’s politically expedient. He’s awful,” said 60-year-old Robert Saunders, a retired police officer from New Jersey who’s not registered with either major political party and vowed not to vote for Trump in 2020.

GOP fundraises off Greenland flap: 'Support President Trump and his efforts to help America grow!'

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/22/donald-trump-greenland-t-shirt-1471960

House Republicans’ campaign arm is not only standing behind President Donald Trump’s bid to buy Greenland — it's fundraising off it.

The National Republican Congressional Committee began running a promotion in which donors contributing $25 or more receive a limited-edition T-shirt depicting the semiautonomous Arctic island, part of the Kingdom of Denmark, as part of the U.S.

“Support President Trump and his efforts to help America grow!” reads the promotion touting the limited-edition tee. The red shirt features a map of the continental U.S., along with silhouettes of Alaska, Hawaii and Greenland patterned with the American flag.

Edited by Martell Spy

During the Bush and into Obama years I naively thought that what drove the right was low taxes, opposition to expanding healthcare, and foreign policy invasions and jingoism.  And maybe that still is true among wealthy Republican elites or lots of them.   I thought of the immigration issue as this one other political issue that both sides seemed to care about to some degree and it was just a matter of when some kind of comprehensive immigration reform would be passed and exactly where that would shake out.  But man did it turn out that the immigration was the issue that the GOP voting base cared about.

It's really interesting (if depressing) to think about if Trump hadn't run and the rest of the party was just running on the same old Romney stuff and trying to tone down the overt racism.  Like, there was that "autopsy" that a lot of the GOP elites bought into about how they had to tack left on immigration and Trump came along and said quite the opposite...and was rewarded for it.  Depressing also because it feels like a Pandora's Box where now that it's been unearthed you know others will try it even when Trump is gone.  

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Depressing also because it feels like a Pandora's Box where now that it's been unearthed you know others will try it even when Trump is gone.  

SAD!

28 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

SAD!

It'll be really sad when Tom Cotton declares Martial Law someday in the future.  

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

It'll be really sad when Tom Cotton declares Martial Law someday in the future.  

But he's from Harvard, and a war hero, and look at the jawline. It's like a fash fantasy come true.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

But he's from Harvard, and a war hero, and look at the jawline. It's like a fash fantasy come true.

And also seems to have some kind of perpetual scowl of hate on his face. 

On 8/21/2019 at 7:21 PM, Triskele said:

I touched on this in the climate change thread, but if climate change is really the threat that everyone says it is, and Chinese Politburo leaders, EU leaders, and a majority of US leaders know it (even if Trump doesn't and some of the Senate doesn't), why isn't there more talk about a NATO-style pact to defend the rainforest from any attacks under punishment by invasion?  Sure that many Brazilians wouldn't like this, but is this really a threat to our future on this planet or not?  

because their plan is to simply accumulate as much wealth, power and access to resources so that they are completely insulated from the effects of catastrophic climate collapse, and likely prefer such an outcome

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Thought it was worth mentioning because the NORC is one of the most reputable polling firms in, well, the world.  Also its adjusted score at 538 is only about 3 points off from the current aggregate scores, so it's not much of an oulier.

Does anyone worry that, if Trump can get away with what he's gotten away with despite being a complete moron, an actual smart version of him taking over at some point in the future would mean humanity is fucked?

Posted (edited)

David Koch is dead. May Hell be hotter than the climate apocalypse he contributed to so mightily, and may the demons tormenting him be union organized.

Let's give him a Viking funeral and burn him on his yacht with a few dozen of his most loyal Republican politicians as retainers in the next life.

Edited by DanteGabriel

22 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Does anyone worry that, if Trump can get away with what he's gotten away with despite being a complete moron, an actual smart version of him taking over at some point in the future would mean humanity is fucked?

I've heard such thoughts expressed on this board. I don't really worry too much about that simply because this is an existential crisis for our country. We weren't sure if the nukes were going to fly or we were going to war with Iran. We're in survival mode, basically.

My biggest worry I guess is that Trump will get reelected and break up NATO. That's in addition to all sorts of horrible things that will certainly happen, like Obamacare repeal. The NATO thing is a huge crisis for the entire West though.

10 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Maybe we could lock him in a room with Seth Moulton and they'll just cancel each other out?

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

Maybe we could lock him in a room with Seth Moulton and they'll just cancel each other out?

Seth Moulton looked like a good presidential candidate.  He didn't seem to have a lot of other qualifications, given his track record of mostly failure in the House.  I'm not at all disappointed to see him drop out.

Now the big question is whether anyone else will qualify for the next debate and we have to deal with 11 candidates on the stage (bleh) or if they split into two and have one debate almost assuredly be a waste of everybody's time 

Just now, Maithanet said:

Seth Moulton looked like a good presidential candidate.  He didn't seem to have a lot of other qualifications, given his track record of mostly failure in the House.  I'm not at all disappointed to see him drop out.

Now the big question is whether anyone else will qualify for the next debate and we have to deal with 11 candidates on the stage (bleh) or if they split into two and have one debate almost assuredly be a waste of everybody's time 

Moulton is my representative and I had high hopes for him at the beginning, but he's been pretty disappointing. Independent of the wisdom of wanting to replace Pelosi as Speaker, he blundered repeatedly during the challenge, and he's shown himself to be an empty suit with a nice resume.