Star Wars The Clone Wars & The Bad Batch [Spoilers]

Corvinus85

2 hours ago, felice said:

Power droid!

From the most recent episode

So plugging a Gonk into the shop = repaired shields and engine...

I'm not one to get too tied up in plot holes - especially in a cartoon but that felt a little too silly.

I was making a Guardians joke!

But on the subject of Gonk, this is the first time we ever see a Gonk droid be used for something useful. So maybe they do posses a large power source. I mean astromechs fix ships that get holes blasted into them by just moving one wire here and there.

8 hours ago, Week said:

From the most recent episode

Hide contents

So plugging a Gonk into the shop = repaired shields and engine...

I'm not one to get too tied up in plot holes - especially in a cartoon but that felt a little too silly.

Spoiler

They did say they were losing power, so shields and engine were presumably failing because the damage was preventing them receiving power from the usual source.

4 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Excellent. I was hoping for another season. I really hope we will keep getting more of other characters such as the empire characters. Maybe this will give us the kamino uprising like in battlefront 2, unless that happens in s1.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-bad-batch-season-2

Well...

So, is Omega

Spoiler

older than the Bad Batch clones? It certainly sounded that way to me, what with her remembering them being in the special  lab, while they don't. Does she actually age slower than normal? It would make sense if she was designed as a living DNA repository. I hope that we are going to learn why she was made female at some point.

How old could the Bad Batch be anyway? The fully grown clones in "The Attack of the Clones" where what, 9 or 10, right? And then the Clone Wars continued for... was it 4 years? So, the oldest clones would have been 13 or 14 at the end of them. But the Bad Batch seem to belong to a younger cohort, don't they?

Also, I am really confused about how the inhibitor chips are supposed to work. When Wrecker's turned on, it changed him into a relentlessly murderous monster who slavishly obeyed Imperial orders. But then that guy on Ryloth was able to dissent and after his heart-felt speech so did  half of his platoon! How was that even possible?! Is the brainwashing only active for a limited amount of time? Was it part of Rampart's effort to prove that clones are unreliable - did he deactivate the chips of some clones on purpose?

I agree that the provenance of all these new Imperial officers is a mystery. You could count the number of non-clone military personal who were not Jedi on one hand in "The Clone Wars", but now they are seemingly crawling out of the woodwork everywhere. It makes sense that they could find lots of stormtrooper recruits quickly, but the commanding structure, not so much.

Yeah Omega is the same age as Boba, I believe. The Batch can't have been created until after CT-99 made his sacrifice in The Clone Wars. 

The chips don't really make any sense at this point. Wrecker's chip made him a murderous monster, but as far as I can remember he never actually had any orders from the empire to kill Omega. So his looming over her say "good soldiers follow orders" never made any sense to me. 

You could imagine that during the clone wars the guy on Ryloth suffered a head wound that damaged his chip. 

Hopefully we'll learn more when we find out under what circumstances 

Crosshair had his removed "a long time ago." 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Yeah Omega is the same age as Boba, I believe. The Batch can't have been created until after CT-99 made his sacrifice in The Clone Wars. 

The chips don't really make any sense at this point. Wrecker's chip made him a murderous monster, but as far as I can remember he never actually had any orders from the empire to kill Omega. So his looming over her say "good soldiers follow orders" never made any sense to me. 

You could imagine that during the clone wars the guy on Ryloth suffered a head wound that damaged his chip. 

Hopefully we'll learn more when we find out under what circumstances 

Hide contents

Crosshair had his removed "a long time ago." 

Hmmm...I took that as he was finally getting the info on Order 66 and looking to comply.  Nothing to donwith Omega specifically. Just that it was a very late activation...

37 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Hmmm...I took that as he was finally getting the info on Order 66 and looking to comply.  Nothing to donwith Omega specifically. Just that it was a very late activation...

But I think the clear implication was that Omega was in danger, and since she's not a Jedi that didn't really make sense. Maybe I misread the scene it was a while ago and the show doesn't always hold my attention 100%

5 hours ago, Maia said:

I agree that the provenance of all these new Imperial officers is a mystery. You could count the number of non-clone military personal who were not Jedi on one hand in "The Clone Wars", but now they are seemingly crawling out of the woodwork everywhere. It makes sense that they could find lots of stormtrooper recruits quickly, but the commanding structure, not so much.

I imagine the officers mostly came from the Navy - the command staff on republic ships tended to not be clones. Fits with Rampart being an Admiral and not a General.

On Omega’s age, I would guess she ages at the normal human rate rather than the clones’ accelerated growth. Boba was a teenager last we saw him in Clone Wars, so based on her appearance I would guess she’s a couple of years younger, maybe 12 or so?

I think we should read the effects of the chips on the Bad Batch as them misfiring. In Wrecker's case the chip seemed to belatedly trigger the Order 66 command, similarly to how it acted in the original Order 66 arc in TCW.

The Bad Batch are defective/special clones who do not behave or act like regular clones, and that includes the entire chip thing.

Crosshair's talk about him removing his chip a long time ago cannot make any sense. Didn't they check his chip back in the beginning of the show?

13 hours ago, Maia said:

Also, I am really confused about how the inhibitor chips are supposed to work. When Wrecker's turned on, it changed him into a relentlessly murderous monster who slavishly obeyed Imperial orders. But then that guy on Ryloth was able to dissent and after his heart-felt speech so did  half of his platoon! How was that even possible?! Is the brainwashing only active for a limited amount of time? Was it part of Rampart's effort to prove that clones are unreliable - did he deactivate the chips of some clones on purpose?

11 hours ago, RumHam said:

10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I think we should read the effects of the chips on the Bad Batch as them misfiring. In Wrecker's case the chip seemed to belatedly trigger the Order 66 command, similarly to how it acted in the original Order 66 arc in TCW.

If you go back to the scene with Wrecker, Hunter foolishly tells Rex just as Wrecker's chip is activating that they let the Padawan (Caleb Dume) go. As I said before, Order 66 involved the execution without prejudice of all Jedi and all soldiers who defied the order. So at that point the rest of them became traitors in Wrecker's eyes as his chip activated. Omega is a bit weird, but there's an argument for him lumping her in with the others simply because of her association with them and/or because she is a clone.

In the same scene, Rex mentioned that there were a few cases where the chip didn't activate. It's possible that Howzer on Ryloth was such a case, but I doubt it, because protecting the Twi'leks from the injustices of the Empire does not contradict Order 66.

I would say that ultimately the inhibitor chip had the sole purpose of activating Order 66, and nothing else. The clones cannot be controlled like puppets to do other tasks, and carry out other orders. This may explain why the Empire decides to do away with the clone troopers - creating a puppet soldier may be a much more difficult task than creating them a chip that a singular function. Recruiting loyal conscripts may just be the more cost effective method to have a huge army.

8 hours ago, Maltaran said:

I imagine the officers mostly came from the Navy - the command staff on republic ships tended to not be clones. Fits with Rampart being an Admiral and not a General.

Only captains and admirals were shown to not be clones. The rest of the bridge officers were still clones on most ships. Even in this scene with Rampart, the rest are still clones. I imagine training capable naval officers takes a longer time than TK troopers, as it should. The proper Imperial Navy still has maybe another season to go.

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

If you go back to the scene with Wrecker, Hunter foolishly tells Rex just as Wrecker's chip is activating that they let the Padawan (Caleb Dume) go. As I said before, Order 66 involved the execution without prejudice of all Jedi and all soldiers who defied the order. So at that point the rest of them became traitors in Wrecker's eyes as his chip activated. Omega is a bit weird, but there's an argument for him lumping her in with the others simply because of her association with them and/or because she is a clone.

In the same scene, Rex mentioned that there were a few cases where the chip didn't activate. It's possible that Howzer on Ryloth was such a case, but I doubt it, because protecting the Twi'leks from the injustices of the Empire does not contradict Order 66.

I would say that ultimately the inhibitor chip had the sole purpose of activating Order 66, and nothing else. The clones cannot be controlled like puppets to do other tasks, and carry out other orders. This may explain why the Empire decides to do away with the clone troopers - creating a puppet soldier may be a much more difficult task than creating them a chip that a singular function. Recruiting loyal conscripts may just be the more cost effective method to have a huge army.

Only captains and admirals were shown to not be clones. The rest of the bridge officers were still clones on most ships. Even in this scene with Rampart, the rest are still clones. I imagine training capable naval officers takes a longer time than TK troopers, as it should. The proper Imperial Navy still has maybe another season to go.

And each planet had its own security force, eg the army that fight for Padme in TPM. I imagine a lot of soldiers, officers and admirals are bought in from their home planets too.

11 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I would say that ultimately the inhibitor chip had the sole purpose of activating Order 66, and nothing else.

I don't think this is right, otherwise Rex wouldn't have reached for his gun when he learned the Batch hadn't removed their chips yet. He's not a Jedi so he'd have nothing to fear from them. 

I assume that they did make the clones more compliant and that wasn't just a cover story. 

58 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I don't think this is right, otherwise Rex wouldn't have reached for his gun when he learned the Batch hadn't removed their chips yet. He's not a Jedi so he'd have nothing to fear from them. 

I assume that they did make the clones more compliant and that wasn't just a cover story. 

Rex is a traitor per Order 66.

Archived