Altered Carbon Season 2: More Cyber, less Punk

Martell Spy

I'm four episodes in.

Spoiler

It has very little relation any longer to Morgan's books or characters. The names are the same, the behaviors are entirely different, the plot is this Frankenstein's monster of bits and pieces glued together.

I like Anthony Mackie well enough, but he's basically just playing Kovacs as having changed substantially in the thirty years that have passed since we last saw him, a lot more emotive and passionate, and thus not very Kovacs like. The Quellcrist thing was such a wild mistake and I think it really damaged the integrity of the project.

On the plus side, it's visually very cool, still, fight choreography is nice and visceral, and Poe remains the most intriguing addition.

Started watching it yesterday when it dropped, then listening while drawing on my Cinitq as my interest waned. Final episode is on right now and this season is... bad, imo.

Not a great wrap to the series.

15 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

I will say though, the actor that plays Poe has turned in a solid performance. 

Agreed.

Spoiler

Finished the show and it's just ... eh. I can't believe what a jumble of bits and pieces it is, and how little Kovacs felt like Kovacs by the end. The last episode has some horribly melodramatic moments, although the big end sacrifice is, I guess, pretty well done.

Like, as an expensive Netflix sci-fi show, it feels kind of generic and uninspired, mindless entertainment with very little in the way of risk taking. It lost the stuff that made Morgan's novels about this dystopic future stand out to me.

I'm not completely convinced Netflix won't order another season, but I don't think I'll waste the time watching it. I'll watch the anime, just for the sake of seeing what a different team of people do with the material (I believe the Japanese director is also writing it), but after that, I don't know... got a looong list of other things I want to see and putting aside 8-10 hours for S3 doesn't seem appealing.

I just binged the entire S2 on a transatlantic flight.  It was OK but not as good as S1.  Poe is still very good and is the heart of the show.  This isn’t a spoiler thread so I’ll keep this general:

The three principal characters of Kovacs, Kel (or Quell?) and Trep are acted well enough but a notch below Kovacs, Ray and Ortega in S1.  The visuals and world building are still very good, but added nothing new.  The plot felt muddled, and all of the twists were predictable.  It seems to rely a bit too heavily on (very well) choreographed action scenes, without creating the tension or uncertainty of S1.  It also leans too heavily on melodrama that isn’t sufficiently resolved: is Tak obsessed with (and controlling of) an idea of Kel rather than her reality (as Ray was of Tak)?  How does Trep balance her obsession with her idea of her brother with her responsibility to her wife and son?  Neither are really held accountable. For a story primarily about existentialism and losing our humanity, it seems to revolve more around  flawed obsession.  At least Ray had to face the consequences of hers in S1.

Not a bad watch on a very long flight, but I wouldn’t rave about it. 

3 episodes in. I'm liking it, but not as much as season 1. To be fair, season 1 did a pretty good job at creating an immersive world, but season 2 is merely relying on it, but no so much building on it. Mackie is good, but so far I can say I liked Kinneman more, though Mackie has better comedic timing.

Also, I've never really been that into the Tak-Quell relationship, so maybe the plot for this season isn't that strong for me. 

I agree that the actor who played Poe has delivered an excellent performance.

I had just finished my season 1 re-watch as the new season was released. The one part that wasn't so strong was the whole Uprising plot in the flashbacks. Why are they called Envoys? Why bother will all that extreme training, learning to infiltrate, to manipulate people, if ultimately the goal was to destroy DHF tech with a computer virus?

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

3 episodes in. I'm liking it, but not as much as season 1. To be fair, season 1 did a pretty good job at creating an immersive world, but season 2 is merely relying on it, but no so much building on it. Mackie is good, but so far I can say I liked Kinneman more, though Mackie has better comedic timing.

Also, I've never really been that into the Tak-Quell relationship, so maybe the plot for this season isn't that strong for me. 

I agree that the actor who played Poe has delivered an excellent performance.

I had just finished my season 1 re-watch as the new season was released. The one part that wasn't so strong was the whole Uprising plot in the flashbacks. Why are they called Envoys? Why bother will all that extreme training, learning to infiltrate, to manipulate people, if ultimately the goal was to destroy DHF tech with a computer virus?

I'm about as far in the season and have similar reactions to this season. I think the season is hobbled by the plot. It's just not as tense as last season, but there are some good performances and I don't regret watching, either.

It's because they changed what Envoys are from the books. It was one of the biggest changes from books to TV show.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Why are they called Envoys? Why bother will all that extreme training, learning to infiltrate, to manipulate people, if ultimately the goal was to destroy DHF tech with a computer virus?

Because the previous showrunner made stupid decisions that didn't really make sense because she wanted to have a love story and wanted to feature Quellcrist Falconer.

I'm sure there's some half-assed reason why the rebels are calling themselves Envoys that they worked out.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:58 PM, JEORDHl said:

I will say though, the actor that plays Poe has turned in a solid performance. 

I think I'd watch a spin off about Poe.

Also feel like the actor deserves a bigger role in another show as the acting was great particularly with the glitches and him looking like a hurt dog whenever kovacs told him off

6 hours ago, Ran said:

Because the previous showrunner made stupid decisions that didn't really make sense because she wanted to have a love story and wanted to feature Quellcrist Falconer.

I'm sure there's some half-assed reason why the rebels are calling themselves Envoys that they worked out.

I really couldn't see why

Spoiler

Harlan still refers to Tak when Quell's back and there as well, once the first Envoy is back the last is no longer the only one.

I liked Mackie but he did feel less Tak. My pick remains the original Tak though.

I didn't have an issue with the elder ghost storyline, that worked for me but it is a different story.

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

I really couldn't see why

Hide contents

Harlan still refers to Tak when Quell's back and there as well, once the first Envoy is back the last is no longer the only one.

I liked Mackie but he did feel less Tak. My pick remains the original Tak though.

I didn't have an issue with the elder ghost storyline, that worked for me but it is a different story.

Especially when

she created the envoys in the show. Unless she's like Jesus and henry VIII and they were never one of the organisation they created

Just finished, and I mostly enjoyed it. I was fine with the melodramatic ending, and the world overall continues to make me wish to see more. I don't know if we'll get a third season. I empathize with those who bemoan the mis-adaptation of Morgan's books, but for me, the show is still worth the time.

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Just finished, and I mostly enjoyed it. I was fine with the melodramatic ending, and the world overall continues to make me wish to see more. I don't know if we'll get a third season. I empathize with those who bemoan the mis-adaptation of Morgan's books, but for me, the show is still worth the time.

There's the cartoon series out soon as well so there's still something. I'm not overly optimistic about a third season - the show still feels expensive for the amount of buzz it gets. It's not really setting the UK top 10 on fire - although I have no idea how trustworthy or accurate that feature is (I tend to think it's lies to convince me to watch shows I might like)

I thought the guest reappearance of several season 1 characters must have been pretty unfulfilling for the actors involved - there must have been contracts making them do it as there was very little for them to sink their teeth into.

Altered Carbon: Resleeved | Official Trailer

On Planet Latimer, everything is temporary, but honor is forever. From the creative mind behind Cowboy Bebop, explore the expanded universe of "Altered Carbon" in this anime adaptation. Altered Carbon: Resleeved premieres March 19, only on Netflix.

On the planet Latimer, Takeshi Kovacs must protect a tattooist while investigating the death of a yakuza boss alongside a no-nonsense CTAC.

The action sequences are going to be amazing, by the looks of it. The voice acting? Not so much. Particularly bugged by the guy who prominently names Tak... and says Kovacs all wrong. Maybe it’s on purpose to make him look like an asshole, but without context it  leaves me wondering if it’s just a blaring error. You don’t want people thinking about that in a trailer.

Same reaction as most, S1 was far better IMO including much better acting and visually. Love Poe, he saved S2 for me. Also found myself doing other things while this was on which is always a bad sign.

• 2 weeks later...

Not done with Altered Carbon: Resleeved so far, but it's more or less what I expected from the trailer. Feels a bit like generic cyberpunk adventure rather than Altered Carbon. The action sequences really are pretty slick, though. 

Archived