Watch, Watched, Watching: Easter Edition

ithanos

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Finished The Sopranos start to finish binge. Obviously a great show, questionable ending. For me the dream sequences got to be a little much in the latter seasons.

I watched a couple episodes of Dead to Me after seeing people on here talk about it, not sure I am going any further. Hasn't caught my attention and I have already been surfing the web while it's on which for me is bad.

I still say the ending was a cop out/FU on David Chase part, but I can see now that time has passed how the ambiguity will and has worn better over time than a 'bad' GOT type ending.  Better to be divisive and ambiguous than universally hated.  I loved all the dream sequences.

On 5/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, Ramsay B. said:

I watched the first 2 episodes of ZeroZeroZero. It’s good so far

Ultimately it was impossible for me to like this at all since everybody is a scumbag -- handling vast amounts of cocaine to addict others to it for their own profit.  There isn't a single decent person in the series.  Well, maybe a little kid?

11 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I still say the ending was a cop out/FU on David Chase part, but I can see now that time has passed how the ambiguity will and has worn better over time than a 'bad' GOT type ending.  Better to be divisive and ambiguous than universally hated.  I loved all the dream sequences.

The S2 episode Funhouse where Tony is having fever dreams about Big Pussy is right up there with Pine Barrens, and College, as one of my absolute favorite episodes of the entire series. 

I also liked a lot of the later dream stuff like Test Dream (about Tony B), and the Kevin Finnerty episode. Speaking of that one I absolutely love the song choice at the end. 

Finished Devs and not sure how much I like it.

Spoiler

Going into it I thought I heard it was a spy type movie and while there is an element of that, it certainly isn't a spy show. You can imagine my reaction when two episodes into a spy show we see Jesus on the cross.

Also, did I miss things throughout the series...

Spoiler

The boss/advisor that Lily confides in when she goes back to work has prosthetic feet in those scene, but in the final sequence when Lily is on campus we see her friend walking with that advisor and she has feet, unless I am wrong and it's not the same person. But if it is the same person, why change that?

Asking The Sopranos fans, how long does it take to really click? I love the mafia genre, it might be my favorite outside of Westerns and Martial Arts style stories, but the show's first few episodes just didn't do much for me.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Finished Devs and not sure how much I like it.

Reveal hidden contents

Going into it I thought I heard it was a spy type movie and while there is an element of that, it certainly isn't a spy show. You can imagine my reaction when two episodes into a spy show we see Jesus on the cross.

Also, did I miss things throughout the series...

Reveal hidden contents

The boss/advisor that Lily confides in when she goes back to work has prosthetic feet in those scene, but in the final sequence when Lily is on campus we see her friend walking with that advisor and she has feet, unless I am wrong and it's not the same person. But if it is the same person, why change that?

I'm unsure about why you thought it was a spy show? I didn't think it marketed itself that way? Murder yes, figuring out why it happened, sure, but I always assumed the situation was what brought you into the science rather than the whole point of the show.

To your second spoiler:

Spoiler

It's the same way that Forrest's family was alive. The machine is using Lyndon's multi-world algorithm. It's not necessarily set in stone that the world Lily woke up in is the exact same one she was in. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Asking The Sopranos fans, how long does it take to really click? I love the mafia genre, it might be my favorite outside of Westerns and Martial Arts style stories, but the show's first few episodes just didn't do much for me.

I was hooked from the first episode, so maybe it isn't for you.  I agree that 'college' is a standout episode.

45 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I'm unsure about why you thought it was a spy show? I didn't think it marketed itself that way? Murder yes, figuring out why it happened, sure, but I always assumed the situation was what brought you into the science rather than the whole point of the show.

To your second spoiler:

Hide contents

It's the same way that Forrest's family was alive. The machine is using Lyndon's multi-world algorithm. It's not necessarily set in stone that the world Lily woke up in is the exact same one she was in. 

When I first heard of it on here someone mentioned modern spy/espionage and that stuck in my head. Then after the first episode you think, yeah thats what this is, then hard left turn.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I would say that since you know so many people hold this show in high regards you tough it out for one season then decide.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I would say that since you know so many people hold this show in high regards you tough it out for one season then decide.

Yeah, give it the whole season. The show does grow a bit as it goes on. Those first few episodes were really impressive in 1999 but I can see why now they just seem kinda... standard.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think the first season is good, especially as it goes on. It gets darker in season 2 and thats when I think it really found its tone.  I will say, I watched the first 5-7 episodes 3 times before I finally made it past and continued on with the series. I don't regret it.

I did a full rewatch when HBO reaired it for the 20th anniversary last year, and I thought it held up beautifully.  I would still rank it as number 1, better than BB, better than the Wire, better than Mad Men, much better than Ozark. 

Princess Mononoke was as good as I remembered. Gorgeous animation, terrific imaginative vision, interesting characters, a strong focus on the environment.

Spirited Away, I had never seen before for some reason, but it deserved all the praise and awards it received when released. What imagination! The animation is out-of-this-world, and I was almost sorry that Studio Ghibli started to work in computer graphics, although it was done tastefully. Particularly loved the return of the soot sprites from My Neighbor Totoro, and the fat former-baby rat and his Woodstock-like bird buddy were awfully cute. 

Also saw Contagion for the first time, since it showed up on HBO Nordic. Fan of much of Soderbergh's work, and this film was prescient and very taut .... for the first half or so. I think it spiraled away into implausibility once it got past the race to track down the index case's movements -- it felt a little unreal and stagey with Damon's character witnessing the collapse of things, the riots, etc., and the mess with the Marion Cotillard's character seemed absurd. Kate Winslet's segments were very good. Jude Law felt like Alex Jones before Alex Jones.

Archived