UK Politics: National shortage of incompetence pads

Which Tyler

ROFL - just catching up on Boris Johnson's briefing. Will his next move be to don a tutu, stilettos and do the can-can round Downing Street in an effort to distract the media and public from his Highly Favoured One? 

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

Also:

Given that it has always been permissible to use public transport to get to work if other options aren't available, if he was returning to London for work and was unsure about whether he could drive safely then why not take the train?

Also if he believed both he and his wife had COVID like symptoms, why not get tested? Particularly in light of the uncertainty about the possibility of infecting others when he returned to work after recovery.  

What Dominic Cummings offered the country was a tissue of half-truths, bullshit and, in respect of Barnard castle, lies.   

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

As an illustration of how well Cummings has done to quash critics, it seems that ‘in  no way sore about Brexit’ Gina Miller is so desperate to ‘get’ Cummings that she’s going to try and get him done for dangerous driving.

Tragic.

How is she wrong? 

Also the road from Barnards Castle is 100 percent not a route you want to drive if you're unsure about your eyesight! 

3 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

How is she wrong? 

Also the road from Barnards Castle is 100 percent not a route you want to drive if you're unsure about your eyesight! 

Realising you can’t get Cummings for breaking lockdown so maybe he’s got a library book that he never returned.. oooh that’ll get him!

12 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

As an illustration of how well Cummings has done to quash critics, it seems that ‘in  no way sore about Brexit’ Gina Miller is so desperate to ‘get’ Cummings that she’s going to try and get him done for dangerous driving.

Tragic.

Are you saying there’s nothjbg dangerous in vision-impaired people driving?

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Realising you can’t get Cummings for breaking lockdown so maybe he’s got a library book that he never returned.. oooh that’ll get him!

I mean he's already been got. He's admitted to breaking multiple guidelines. He's just going to get away with it. 

46 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I've cleaned people up off roads. It's not like a late fucking library book. 

49 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

I mean he's already been got. He's admitted to breaking multiple guidelines. He's just going to get away with it. 

I'm not too sure about that. With the entire press arrayed against him, including his normal right-wing cheerleaders, and his own party calling for him to go, Johnson is going to find it tough to hold onto him, especially with a Liaison Committee meeting on Wednesday (so all 32 select committee heads get to question Johnson for 90 minutes straight).

The hope might be to reignite the argument over schools reopening next Monday, as Johnson has doubled down and said that's happening (the unions, parents and teachers are pretty united in that it is not) and hope that takes attention away from the story. Seeing how the Mail and the Telegraph react to today's events tomorrow may be key to that.

Surely nobody really believes that he drove there (and went for a walk along the river) to check his eyesight though?

For me the key point is that his wife and son (and apparently briefly himself also) went to the local hospital. That is exactly the point of not travelling to somewhere else - it gives the disease the chance to spread.

54 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Holy shit he literally edited the blog the day he got back from Durham to get this excuse prepared ahead of time.

Given he's been planning for that long it's hilarious that he still couldn't come up with anything better than 'I was worried I was too sick and blind to drive so I did 60 miles with my son in the car' for the other bit.

35 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Holy shit he literally edited the blog the day he got back from Durham to get this excuse prepared ahead of time.

Given he's been planning for that long it's hilarious that he still couldn't come up with anything better than 'I was worried I was too sick and blind to drive so I did 60 miles with my son in the car' for the other bit.

What does the blog have to do with his breaking the rules? I get that he's claiming prescience (falsely) and it's a supremely dumb thing to do but I don't understand how it actually helps him with his substantive defence. 

14 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

What does the blog have to do with his breaking the rules? I get that he's claiming prescience (falsely) and it's a supremely dumb thing to do but I don't understand how it actually helps him with his substantive defence. 

It was part of a general play to try to blame the media and discredit criticism of him by trying to present not just this incident as overblown or a lie but anything they've ever said about him.

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Also if he believed both he and his wife had COVID like symptoms, why not get tested? Particularly in light of the uncertainty about the possibility of infecting others when he returned to work after recovery. 

To be fair, I think most people found it very difficult to get a coronavirus test at that point in time unless they were hospitalised. It's hard to keep track of exactly what happened then but I think this may have been before even hospital workers could get tested.

9 minutes ago, williamjm said:

To be fair, I think most people found it very difficult to get a coronavirus test at that point in time unless they were hospitalised. It's hard to keep track of exactly what happened then but I think this may have been before even hospital workers could get tested.

Maybe.  He is after all officially the Chief Adviser to the Prime Minister and one would think he (of all people) would be able to be tested if tests are available.  And if he was so prescient about coronavirus how come the UK couldn't keep up with Germany and South Korea in terms of availability of tests? 

2 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Maybe.  He is after all officially the Chief Adviser to the Prime Minister and one would think he (of all people) would be able to be tested if tests are available.

I suspect he might have been able to find a way to get tested if he really wanted, although he'd probably have been criticised if he got tested when hospital staff couldn't get tested.

Archived