Covid 19 and Your Life #2: It's Personal

Zorral

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

I cannot describe the sensations that poured through me when I first read this headline late this afternoon -- a combo of relief, joy and -- still, almost disbelief, disbelief that after all these cases and so much death -- that nobody died of this in the last day. Breathless.

New York City Without Coronavirus Deaths Four Months After First Report
By Jennifer Peltz, Michael R. Sisak and Marina Villeneuve • Published 4 hours ago • Updated 1 hour ago

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/new-york-city-without-coronavirus-deaths-for-first-time-since-start-of-pandemic/2511864/

If only we would be allowed to keep this up, you know, with even fairly decent, intelligent leadership and action on the city, state and federal levels.  But I have no faith in de Blasio whatsoever, for reasons maybe rather different than having no faith in the feds as they are in These Times, but not so very different.  He's thinking only of himself, not the city -- and certainly not teachers and students.  Only about the real estate people who are determined to have the bars and restaurants and theaters fully opened, inside and out.

At least we have a governor who is canny and not stupid, and has the cojones to stand up.

Ontario had it's first day without deaths a couple of days ago, and it was lovely. Of course, each day since has had some deaths, but once you have a zero day you know there's light at the end of the tunnel. Other provinces, smaller ones, have had weeks without cases, let alone deaths, and every now and then one case pops up.

It makes me grateful, but also sad, that people in small parts of a country are celebrating a no death day when we have had no deaths (from COVID-19) for over a month, and we get a little bit jittery about a single new confirmed case until we are assured it's an overseas arrival who is confined to a quarantine hotel. It helps me put my attitude to confirmed cases here into context.

I am breathing more deeply this evening than I've breathed in months.  I am still giddy with happiness that nobody died today of this infection.  I know that doesn't mean new cases and I know this thing isn't over -- it's really just getting started.  But to have a day where no one died of this after 4 months of so many dying for so long everyday, and that long though rapid acceleration from every day to the next of the numbers being even higher.  Well, I guess that's why I am feeling like I'm breathing pure oxygen.

Also, among the many who died were people we knew, even some we loved -- though those tended to live in New Orleans.

Personal story about Corona:

My sister wanted to make a holiday trip to Poland in May, but that was cancelled due to COVID. So she and her husband decided on a trip to her parents in law. First night there, my sister has a apruption of placenta - 4 weeks before the natural delivery date, bleeding starts and the baby dies on the way to the hospital; she loses a lot of blood, about 2 litres, and for some reason the enzymes responsible for natural blood coagulation are totally fucked up and so for the next 4 days she is in intensive care with blood plasma replacement transfusions every 12 hours. None of  us is allowed to visit her, only her husband for 1 hour a dayb due too COVID. Thankfully, the hospital staff - in recognition of the situation - decide not to record or control the actual time her husband is with her and put her in a single bed room. But yeah, this is really a bad time to be struck by a traumatizing calamity when you're in a hospital and cut off from family support. Our brother, who lives only 10 minutes away from the hospital wasn't allowed to visit her, although they had him bookmarked for an emergency blood donation, should the need arise.

Thankfully, the ER and intensive care units were not overcrowded with COVID patients, so I am personally very grateful that we had enough preventive measures taken here. But fast forward, as doctors are trying to find the reason why her blood coagulation suddenly became totally out of control over night, it turns out that one of the effects of COVID 19 may be that your blood clotting is not working as it should - especially clotting when it shouldn't. Even though she was free of any symptoms, they are now looking into the possbility that at least the life-threating blood clotting issues were due to an undiscovered COVID 19 infection, because there is no medical history of this in the family, there were no other signs prior to that night and she is/was basically a healthy 34yo woman.

So the takeaway from this is: try not to get this shit, it fucks up your body in all sorts of unexpected places and it sure as hell is a lot more dangerous than a simple cold.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I just got on a bus on duty in plain clothes. I dont like getting my I.D. out at the best of times but when there are 15 people on the bus and in the only one wearing my mask it just fucks me right off. 

I sincerely hope the only one wearing your mask was you! I assume the 15 weren’t wearing their mandatory mask? Did you order them to?

eta: I did a run to Walmart early yesterday morning, seniors’ hour, and just when I was about to leave, a dude came careening past me, talking loudly to himself that no effing nobody was effing telling him to effing put on some effing mask in effing violation of his effing rights.

26 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I sincerely hope the only one wearing your mask was you! I assume the 15 weren’t wearing their mandatory mask? Did you order them to?

yes I told them to put their masks on, I couldn't believe it when I was told to 'say please'.  cheeky fucker.

8 hours ago, Alarich II said:

So the takeaway from this is: try not to get this shit, it fucks up your body in all sorts of unexpected places and it sure as hell is a lot more dangerous than a simple cold.

Thank you for sharing this, as it is essential this information be out there constantly.

As of yesterday two new cases in upstate NY -- they came in from Georgia, on a plane.  They were put into quarantine.  Does this mean we finally have an actual and effective track and trace mechanism in place at the airports?  Or lordessa.

Because with what deathcultchiefandcohorts are about now is far beyond culling the herd of the elderly and the sick.  As well as being happily about destroying the post office, the education system and the economy -- not mention going after Fauci.  It's entire destruction of  the entire country for decades, maybe forever.  He must go NOW.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

yes I told them to put their masks on, I couldn't believe it when I was told to 'say please'.  cheeky fucker.

Did you make the fuckers respect your authoritah? :P

That's... just fucking awful, Alarich. :(

Similar in one respect:

A couple weeks ago now we had nervous spell as my youngest was suffering from shortness of breath and we were awaiting results. Came back negative so all good right?

Right.

So, a few nights later I started having chest pain. What's this, fucking great, but you're in great shape so let's sleep on it J and see how it feels in the morning. And in the morning, I felt fine. 

Over the next week though I was getting gradually weaker, where even one flight of stairs in my house (we have three flights) would gas me out. Shortness of breath. Chest pain started again, so last Monday I had the ex come pick up our girls and I drove myself to emerge.

Hustled through sharp because my elevated pulse rate is concerning, and I feel like I'm trying to breathe in an iron maiden. Admitted. ECG, CT...

Massive bilateral pulmonary embolism including a pulmonary infarction ffs.

First three days were unmitigated agony (I've had a dislocated jaw, which was nothing in comparison) except for the two hour reprieve every four hours when I'd get my dose of hydromorphone. 

I was in the hospital for six days. I've been home for two now and I'm weak as a godamn baby and coughing up awful globs of blood, but... I'm recovering. 

Those first three days in my vitals were not good though. Everyone was concerned. I basically had the equivalent of a heart attack of the lungs (the pulmonary infarction)

The doc's were and are still very perplexed. Wondering if maybe covid swept through our family some time ago and that this might be related. There will be a lot more tests. Blood thinners likely for life.

This shit ain't no joke.

13 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Similar in one respect:

A couple weeks ago now we had nervous spell as my youngest was suffering from shortness of breath and we were awaiting results. Came back negative so all good right?

Right.

So, a few nights later I started having chest pain. What's this, fucking great, but you're in great shape so let's sleep on it J and see how it feels in the morning. And in the morning, I felt fine. 

Over the next week though I was getting gradually weaker, where even one flight of stairs in my house (we have three flights) would gas me out. Shortness of breath. Chest pain started again, so last Monday I had the ex come pick up our girls and I drove myself to emerge.

Hustled through sharp because my elevated pulse rate is concerning, and I feel like I'm trying to breathe in an iron maiden. Admitted. ECG, CT...

First three days were unmitigated agony (I've had a dislocated jaw, which was nothing in comparison) except for the two hour reprieve every four hours when I'd get my dose of hydromorphone. 

I was in the hospital for six days. I've been home for two now and I'm weak as a godamn baby and coughing up awful globs of blood, but... I'm recovering. 

Those first three days in my vitals were not good though. Everyone was concerned. I basically had the equivalent of a heart attack of the lungs (the pulmonary infarction)

The doc's were and are still very perplexed. Wondering if maybe covid swept through our family some time ago and that this might be related. There will be a lot more tests. Blood thinners likely for life.

This shit ain't no joke.

OMG, glad you are alive! Thank heavens you took yourself to emerg. I mentioned I got worried two weeks ago and took myself to the hospital, over basically nothing. This is not what you wanted to hear. But good grief, what a shock to find that out. The stories about blood clots and lung problems are grim.

20 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

pulmonary embolism

Glad you survived! This is really scary and there seems to be a correlation between COVID19 and coagulation issues, which in my book is more than enough reason to make any sane person anxious to avoid this infection.

34 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Similar in one respect:

Right.

This shit ain't no joke.

Holy shit dude I’m so glad you are on the mend and still with us. I’ve heard reports like this about younger fit people having clotting related issues and organ problems after mild cases of COVID-19. 

14 minutes ago, Alarich II said:

Glad you survived! This is really scary and there seems to be a correlation between COVID19 and coagulation issues, which in my book is more than enough reason to make any sane person anxious to avoid this infection.

Thanks all.

It was touch and go for a bit there. Was on oxygen for five of those six days. The good fortune in my case was it was caught early enough they were able to stabilize my vitals and I responded well to treatment. 

The thing that really got to the Hematologist was the extent of the clotting. It was fucking everywhere in both lungs, but so bad in one of them that even the massive pulmonary blood system we have couldn't find enough work arounds-- and now I have a couple portions in the one lung that are effectively 'dead.'

If this was Covid related, not saying it is, but... It should be terrifying for everyone. 

Also confirming the kinds of pain and suffering Alarich posted about,  Italian Doctors are warning the World that the virus is not merely a respiratory illness but something far worse that attacks multiple organs including neurological function.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-warning-from-italy-effects-of-covid-19-could-be-worse-than-first-thought-12027348

Archived