NFL 2020 Offseason: Are we even doing this any more?

DanteGabriel

Regardless of parsing the statement, I think the point that those that identify as Jewish are comparatively rather well protected in this country and generally enjoy privileges pretty much every other minority or person of color is decidedly not availed of is a valid point.

Bud Dupree signs LB franchise tag and now files grievance cause he wants paid 3M more per year as a DE. Not sure why he signs his tag as an LB, knowing the dollar amount, and then files a complaint two months later saying he should be paid as a DE. Funny that a guy that was drafted in the first round that has his best year with 11.5 sacks in his fourth year wants to argue that he's a DE all of a sudden. Also why sign the tag if you disagree with the amount? Though I do think rushing OLB's shouldn't be lumped into the same group as ILB's. Really hope the Steelers don't sign him to a long term deal.

article

Word is that the new team name will not be announced until they have all of the trademarks and rights secured, presumably across a whole bunch of different platforms so they don't have people camping on @washingtonredtails on twitter or something.  But it does make the whole effort seem very feeble. 

Hail to the TBD! 

Hail vic-tor-ree!

Fighting for something!

We fight for all DC?  

Not just secure the rights, the WaPo is reporting that the preferred name is tied up in a "trademark battle" right now.

My guess is that they do want to go with Red Tails, and they need to work out a deal with Disney; who owns the 2012 movie Red Tails ever since they bought 20th Century Fox.

Going with Red Tails is still kind of weird. Trying to latch on to an actual group of people to somehow try and reform the image of a sports team with a historically racist team name strikes me as a bit dodgy. Just go with the usual generic animal name or whatever.

22 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Going with Red Tails is still kind of weird. Trying to latch on to an actual group of people to somehow try and reform the image of a sports team with a historically racist team name strikes me as a bit dodgy. Just go with the usual generic animal name or whatever.

The circumstances do make it weird. But I get the appeal (if it is what they go with), especially since the name is so similar to the old one.

Also, there is precedent for being named for actual people, the 49ers say hello. One could argue that the Patriots and Buccaneers (and Oilers) are/were named for real people too, though they are pretty generic (not as much as Texans though).

ETA: And rather than Disney, the hold up might this guy:

Some guy was very busy on July 8.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

The circumstances do make it weird. But I get the appeal (if it is what they go with), especially since the name is so similar to the old one.

Also, there is precedent for being named for actual people, the 49ers say hello. One could argue that the Patriots and Buccaneers (and Oilers) are/were named for real people too, though they are pretty generic (not as much as Texans though).

Also, 3 of the first 5 airmen were from DC.  I like the idea of bringing more attention to them.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

From that list, Washington War Hogs actually has a nice ring to it.

Just saw that on the list and thought it didn't sound bad either.  Lets those guys who like to cross dress and wear a pig snout still do their thing...

29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Just saw that on the list and thought it didn't sound bad either.  Lets those guys who like to cross dress and wear a pig snout still do their thing...

I just don't get the insistence on keeping "red" in the name. A clean break seems like a better idea.

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just don't get the insistence on keeping "red" in the name. A clean break seems like a better idea.

Kind of surprised they didn't go with Washington Warriors and keep the logo

11 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Kind of surprised they didn't go with Washington Warriors and keep the logo

I have said the same.  The logo is actually the least offensive part of the whole thing.  Its sort of dignified in its way.  Certainly a vastly different approach than Chief Wahoo or some such.

The stuff about the cheerleaders has been known for some time now. It's disgusting and should never have happened. Idk what the right penalty is for it, but it should be severe. That said, if they can prove he was trying to fix games, ban him for life. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

So rumor is Dan Snyder is under FBi investigation for rampant drug use, sex parties, and assault.

That shit reads like it was written by a Trump.

Meanwhile the actual report is whatever, didn't read. The way it was hyped I was expecting photos of Snyder fucking infants with Epstien's favorite bottle of wine. Sexual harassment? Won't even need to sell.

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That shit reads like it was written by a Trump.

Right?  The portion where benching Bibbs is blamed on Alex Smith's injury just...yeesh.

Archived