MLB 2020: Where Are We Now?

kairparavel

Welp, looks like the Cards got Arenado - and $50 million.  And he's apparently going to defer money as well.  Details are scant right now, although I saw one tweet saying it was "for three minor leaguers."

Cards got Arenado, plus 50 million, and gave up a serviceable MLB pitcher, a hard hitting big guy named Luken, and a longshot high ceiling low floor prospect Jhon Torres. 

Atrocious job, Rockies. Thank you very much. 

Redbirds essentially get to have Arenado at 6/150, with two opt outs the next couple years. In theory, baseball rebounds financially by 2022 and he might go for a bigger contract, but generally big names stick with the Cards. Heyward was an exception.

Still not on the same tier as the Dodgers or Padres, and the Mets and Braves loom to the east. But the NL central still sucks,  especially with the Cubs completely mishandled teardown.

23 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

So apparently the Cubs have decided to replace Kyle Schwarber with Joc Pederson...who is essentially the west coast version of Kyle Schwarber...no details on the actual contract yet, but if it's more that the 10 million that the Nats have Schwarbs, there might be some sort of revolting in Chicago...

$7M -- saved $3 mil.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

Cards got Arenado, plus 50 million, and gave up a serviceable MLB pitcher, a hard hitting big guy named Luken, and a longshot high ceiling low floor prospect Jhon Torres. 

Atrocious job, Rockies. Thank you very much. 

Redbirds essentially get to have Arenado at 6/150, with two opt outs the next couple years. In theory, baseball rebounds financially by 2022 and he might go for a bigger contract, but generally big names stick with the Cards. Heyward was an exception.

Still not on the same tier as the Dodgers or Padres, and the Mets and Braves loom to the east. But the NL central still sucks,  especially with the Cubs completely mishandled teardown.

This is a pretty embarrassing trade. The Rockies are just a mess.

32 minutes ago, Week said:

This is a pretty embarrassing trade. The Rockies are just a mess.

It's a salary dump.  Almost exactly the same as the Stanton deal.  That's embarrassing in its own right, but the trade itself (or at least its exchange of assets) doesn't really indicate incompetence.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's a salary dump.  Almost exactly the same as the Stanton deal.  That's embarrassing in its own right, but the trade itself (or at least its exchange of assets) doesn't really indicate incompetence.

I think that we agree but you've framed it in a way that we don't. :)

They're paying $50 million for a top ten player to play for another team (and avoid paying him the other $150 million but ...).

There isn't really any rhyme or reason to why the Rockies make their moves -- extremely mismanaged team with terrible ownership and GM. They are the Rays without any savvy -- which just leads to a bottom dwelling team.

Bauer to Dodgers, 3 yrs/$102mm, with opt outs after each of the first 2 seasons. Breakdown is $40mm year one, $45mm year two, and $17mm year three, which pretty much guarantees he opts out after year two. Unless his arm falls off. Incredibly, the Mets offered $105mm over the same length and with the same opt outs, though the Dodger contract is more front loaded.

7 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Bauer to Dodgers, 3 yrs/$102mm, with opt outs after each of the first 2 seasons. Breakdown is $40mm year one, $45mm year two, and $17mm year three, which pretty much guarantees he opts out after year two. Unless his arm falls off. Incredibly, the Mets offered $105mm over the same length and with the same opt outs, though the Dodger contract is more front loaded.

The deal seems really bizarre. But the rich got richer.

That's a lot of money for someone who:

1 - Said everyone was cheating with sticky substances (directly able to increase your spin rate - particularly for four seamers. Getting more spin, effectively, leads to more 'rise')

2 - Got big mad at the Astros

3 - Declared his intention to cheat with more stick (thus spin)

4 - Had the best year in his career in a short season against weak opponents while cheating (huge jump in spin rate)

5 - Rewarded with a huge contract

He's was also a MAGA Trumper and is generally an asshole on twitter.

Sucks to see him on the same team as Betts. I would love to root for the team but ugh. Hope Bauer flames out - fuck that guy. The Dodgers will be fine still.

The Bauer contract is clearly manipulating the luxury tax penalty through the disparity between his AAV and what he's actually making the first two years.  I know they don't have any official line or anything on that, but that's about as blatant as you can get.

In other news, the Dodgers' total salary is now over $60 million more than the Yankees.  I miss the death star.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

The Bauer contract is clearly manipulating the luxury tax penalty through the disparity between his AAV and what he's actually making the first two years.  I know they don't have any official line or anything on that, but that's about as blatant as you can get.

In other news, the Dodgers' total salary is now over $60 million more than the Yankees.  I miss the death star.

The luxury tax is bullshit anyway. Every team should be adding 5years and $2.5mm onto the back end of every contract, with an opt out just before that section kicks in.

I’m not sold on Bauer at all as an ace, so I’m glad it’s a short contract. Wouldn’t be happy if we were stuck with him for 9 years or something. 

Bauer is a despicable piece of shit, but he got into Twitter beef with Aubrey Huff and Curt Schilling and called him ButtCurt so one small part of me will always be grateful for that.

So, I dunno, maybe by the retrograde standards of baseball players, Bauer is, like, John Kasich?

3 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Bauer is gonna make almost as much $$ this season as THE ENTIRE Pirates payroll ... 

Fcuk a salary cap, there needs to be a salary floor, some of these franchises are run by some greedy mfers

Yeah that's something they should target in their collective bargaining.

Unlike the other three major North American sports, MLB also has no team salary floor: the only minimum limits for team payrolls are based on the minimum salaries for individual players of various levels of experience that are written into MLB's collective bargaining agreement.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Padres with two $300m men. Talk about a base payroll. 

To explain: the Friars have signed Fernando Tatis Jr. to a 14yr/$340mm contract. Pretty damn good move, if you ask me.

Meanwhile, the Cubbies are getting the band back together with the signing of super ace extraordinaire Jake Arrieta.

10 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Meanwhile, the Cubbies are getting the band back together with the signing of super ace extraordinaire Jake Arrieta.

Someone has to be the one to strike out the new $300 million man to clinch in the NLDS this fall...

Archived