US Politics: Electoral College Votes (12/14/2020)

Ser Scot A Ellison

56 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I'm not really sure how Simon complaining about Biden makes you or Dante moderates.  

It’s the constant drumbeat that if you’re not a part of Sanders’ or AOC’s wing of the party, you’re not a real liberal and may actually be some kind of heatless Republican. These accusations are highly unfair and only increase intraparty tensions. Frankly there are a lot of people, such as myself, who wish Biden would pursue a more liberal agenda, but still ultimately sided with him because his plans have a better chance of getting enacted into law.

5 minutes ago, TsarGrey said:

Care to explain for European?

I may be wrong, because I'm not steeped in civil war history not a citizen of the US, but I think Uncle Sam was a Yankee (Union army) propaganda tool. And given the context of talk of secession AND that the state was part of the confederacy it's a bit ironic to be wearing that symbol of the union.

Someone more authoritative might like to comment though.

A Republican member of the state house of representatives in Michigan has been stripped of his committee assignments by the Republican leaders because of comments that could have been interpreted as supporting violence around today's electoral college vote:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/14/electoral-college-michigan-republican-hints-at-violence.html

14 minutes ago, TsarGrey said:

Care to explain for European?

A man dressed up as Uncle Sam took part in the ceremony in some way. CNN only showed a shot of the room with the guy at the podium, they didn’t explain what he was doing there. 

Uncle Sam is a cartoon character who has represented the US for more than a century. There were very famous posters during WW 1 and WW 2 proclaiming Uncle Sam wanted you to join the army. He’s a skinny guy with a goatee wearing red, white and blue clothing with a top hat with the Stars and Stripes on it. It was very weird seeing him at a such a formal and solemn ceremony.

eta: actually a quick look at Wikipedia says he first made an appearance during the War if 1812! I did not realize that he had been around for so long.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Barr’s been fired?

He resigned effective Dec. 23rd “to spend more time with the family”. He submitted a resignation letter heaping praise on Trump, and what an honor it was to serve him.

I suspect he’s making a run for it before all the pardons start coming down, so he doesn’t tarnish his reputation even more. It was an “amicable” departure. I don’t believe that, do you?

16 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

If not for your horrible taste in baseball teams, comments like this would make you a true pillar of society.

Oh this is rich coming from a guy whose team stole the 2016 WS from the Cleveland Spiders! Audit the Cubs’ fraud! Count every legal run!

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

A Republican member of the state house of representatives in Michigan has been stripped of his committee assignments by the Republican leaders because of comments that could have been interpreted as supporting violence around today's electoral college vote:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/14/electoral-college-michigan-republican-hints-at-violence.html

I guess the statements weren't outright incitements to violence. But man, that is skirting on the edges of sedition, IMO.

16 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I may be wrong, because I'm not steeped in civil war history not a citizen of the US, but I think Uncle Sam was a Yankee (Union army) propaganda tool. And given the context of talk of secession AND that the state was part of the confederacy it's a bit ironic to be wearing that symbol of the union.

Someone more authoritative might like to comment though.

It was the War of 1812 that initiated Uncle Sam.

But it's possible that it goes back as far as 1775-76 though.

So much mythology and false information has been propagated about this over the years.

Myself I like to think this Sam was Sam Adams, i.e. a real person.

Other possible references date to the American Revolutionary War: an Uncle Sam is mentioned as early as 1775, in the original lyrics of "Yankee Doodle", though it is not clear whether this reference is to Uncle Sam as a metaphor for the United States, or to an actual person named Sam. The lyrics as a whole celebrate the military efforts of the young nation in besieging the British at Boston. The 13th stanza is:

Old Uncle Sam come there to change
Some pancakes and some onions,
For 'lasses cakes, to carry home
To give his wife and young ones....

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It was the War of 1812 that initiated Uncle Sam.

But it's possible that it goes back as far as 1775-76 though.

So much mythology and false information has been propagated about this over the years.

Myself I like to think this Sam was Sam Adams, i.e. a real person.

To give his wife and young ones.

Thanks for the history lesson.

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

A man dressed up as Uncle Sam took part in the ceremony in some way. CNN only showed a shot of the room with the guy at the podium, they didn’t explain what he was doing there. 

Uncle Sam is a cartoon character who has represented the US for more than a century. There were very famous posters during WW 1 and WW 2 proclaiming Uncle Sam wanted you to join the army. He’s a skinny guy with a goatee wearing red, white and blue clothing with a top hat with the Stars and Stripes on it. It was very weird seeing him at a such a formal and solemn ceremony.

eta: actually a quick look at Wikipedia says he first made an appearance during the War if 1812! I did not realize that he had been around for so long.

The EC is a ritual  devoid of meaning and a mere formality (or should be). I don't know why people need to make it a solemn and serious occasion, or should think that someone dressing up in thematic costuming should be seen as strange or inappropriate.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Thanks for the history lesson.

The EC is a ritual  devoid of meaning and a mere formality (or should be). I don't know why people need to make it a solemn and serious occasion, or should think that someone dressing up in thematic costuming should be seen as strange or inappropriate.

Well for one thing it’s usually done in a big ceremony with the representatives of every state in the room. Yes, I think a costumed character showing up would be very weird. Do you do that in New Zealand? There’s no equivalent ceremonial vote roll call in the parliamentary system, so maybe at the swearing in of the PM? Someone in a kiwi costume maybe? :P

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Well for one thing it’s usually done in a big ceremony with the representatives of every state in the room. Yes, I think a costumed character showing up would be very weird. Do you do that in New Zealand? There’s no equivalent ceremonial vote roll call in the parliamentary system, so maybe at the swearing in of the PM? Someone in a kiwi costume maybe? :P

Have you seen the opening of parliament? Bloody colonialist clown costumes and scepters everywhere, funky white wigs and all. But it isn't the same thing. We don't do faux elections as part of our democratic process.

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Have you seen the opening of parliament? Bloody colonialist clown costumes and scepters everywhere, funky white wigs and all. But it isn't the same thing. We don't do faux elections as part of our democratic process.

It's not quite the same thing but the mention of silly costumes does remind me of Theresa May contemplating losing her majority as PM in the 2017 election whilst having to stand next to Lord Buckethead.

And! It's Official!  Biden-Harris Won! Again! and Again and Again and Again and Again They Won!.  Dayem! They must have over a thousand Electoral College votes by now they've won some states so many times!

:cheers:  :thumbsup:  :rofl:

Hey! Biden-Harris Won!

shoggoth is the biggest loser evah hahahah.  Sorry couldn't help myself because reasons.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

And! It's Official!  Biden-Harris Won! Again! and Again and Again and Again and Again They Won!.  Dayem! They must have over a thousand Electoral College votes by now they've won some states so many times!

:cheers:  :thumbsup:  :rofl:

Hey! Biden-Harris Won!

shoggoth is the biggest loser evah hahahah.  Sorry couldn't help myself because reasons.

You clearly know nothing! Some random folks from PA, MI, WI, AZ, and GA have appointed themselves electors and have cast their votes for God-Emperor Trump. And since Pence gets to pick which electors get counted (despite this being completely untrue) Trump will most definitely be returned to his rightful throne.

Archived