US Politics: Autogolpe big or golpe home

Kalbear

38 minutes ago, Fez said:

I actually object pretty strongly to the idea that "third world" is a demeaning term; but I don't want to get on a too long tangent here. It's slightly outdated now, but the idea that the world was once divided into three groups: 1) Those aligned with the US, 2) Those aligned with the USSR, and 3) Those that were non-aligned, is not inherently demeaning. And it is also simply a fact that the vast majority of coups during the post-WWII era occurred among the third group of countries.

And who incited those coups? 

And why isn't the list of countries not demented enough to pick sides in that idiotic faceoff termed the First world? Not pinning our hopes on mutually assured destruction makes us the best of humanity, not third anything.

See?

Hakim Jeffries says once the Capitol is cleared he's going back in to certify the vote.

Presumably all the senators etc. have been vaccinated so sitting in an enclosed space with all those maskless rethugs is OK?  What about the Representatives? and the staff members and all the other people who work in the Capitol complex?

They put up a cross at Georgia's capitol, though I don't know if they lit it. Yet.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If so, $5 says Trump issues a blank pardon to these traitors.

The Capitol police have already effectively given them blanket pardons by apparently not arresting anybody, at least from what I've seen.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Good to hear. But I really wonder what happens going into the night, and whether there will be an attempt to enforce that 6pm curfew.

Of course there will be: on people of color attempting to get home from a day of truly dangerous to them crazy; the cops will arrest and beat them for breaking the curfew.  We ALL know how this rolls, babee.  Even CNN.

The shocking scene was met with less police force than many of the Black Lives Matter protests that rolled across the country in the wake of George Floyd's killing at the hands of Minneapolis police officers last year. While federal police attacked peaceful protesters in Lafayette Square outside the White House over the summer, clearing the way for Trump to take a photo in front of a nearby church at the time, protesters on Wednesday were able to overrun Capitol police and infiltrate the country's legislative chambers.

Plus, you know that gallows and noose They have so conveniently erected on the West Side of the Capitol.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Reports now that 13 people have been arrested and 5 weapons seized. A heck of a lot more than 13 people were in the Capitol building.

That's from a little while ago from the DC police chief; there could be a few more arrests from other police agencies that aren't being counted and more by MPD in the time since. Also, I think most of those arrests were from before the building was breached; once it was breached the police weren't really in a position to make arrests even if they wanted. Until the past hour or so.

Just saw that Northam has declared a 6pm curfew for here in Arlington and in neighboring Alexandria as well.

Remember that the police did not enforce the laws before the military said that it is willing to do something.

That is usually how it goes when the police supports a coup but knows it can't win a confrontation with the military and waits for the bigger stick to decide before committing.

You have two years to reform the police at the most I fear... 

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Plus, you know that gallows and noose They have so conveniently erected on the West Side of the Capitol.

Fucking cowards. I really hope that these people get what they deserve one day.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

Good to hear. But I really wonder what happens going into the night, and whether there will be an attempt to enforce that 6pm curfew.

They had no problem doing it in the days post-church photo op.

Of course, as we've seen played out today, the police have a fantastic amount of patience for these lunatics.

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Reports now that 13 people have been arrested and 5 weapons seized. A heck of a lot more than 13 people were in the Capitol building.

Ah, sorry, 13 whole people.  Progress!

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Also, I think most of those arrests were from before the building was breached; once it was breached the police weren't really in a position to make arrests even if they wanted. Until the past hour or so.

If the Capitol police were unable to arrest people breaking into the Speaker of the House's office that's a fundamental failure of their basic mandate, at best.  The police still appear to just be standing around right now.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Ah, sorry, 13 whole people.  Progress!

If the Capitol police were unable to arrest people breaking into the Speaker of the House's office that's a fundamental failure of their basic mandate, at best.  The police still appear to just be standing around right now.

Now don't be unfair, some were taking selfies with the... protestors!

SHUT UP Lindsey.

1 minute ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It seems to me like this meets the “levying war” standard for treason.  Maybe legal genius Giuliani can bargain it down to just sedition. 

There will have to be serious questions asked of the police inaction today.

Mmn... read some reporter on Twitter that's been in the capitol building since this morning, who said that the capitol police were way undermanned. Whether that's true or not, iono, but 13 arrests and 5 confiscated firearms [and one protestor shot in the neck] should ostensibly mean some security heads are going to roll. Probably. 

Some of the police were clearly doing their jobs from the beginning (go back and see the footage from hours ago on the eastern side, when the police were using tear gas and pepper spray from the very beginning of the threat). Others were definitely not, and need to be investigated and arrested as appropriate.

Also, there needs to be a long look at who was responsible for prepping security for the day and how badly they fucked up. Even if every cop on duty was ready to act, there weren't nearly enough of them available; and there weren't nearly sufficient barricades in place either. Check out the stuff around the White House now, and how quickly it was installed over the summer, with the temporary fencing the Capitol got. Capitol Police are at fault, but so is DC police and I'd also say the Sgt. at Arms. Plus the federal agencies of course; though we know what caused them to not act.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Also, there needs to be a long look at who was responsible for prepping security for the day and how badly they fucked up.

I'd venture to say this is an understatement.

Archived