US Politics- One More Impeachment, For Old Times’ Sake

Fury Resurrected

2 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

You know, we should start calling them flowers.  So you have flowers and snowflakes. Both are ephemeral and unique. Let’s all say “awwww”

Well, evoking flower power is pretty perverse irony.  Like nicknaming a 7 footer Tiny but way more offensive.

I rewatched the clip of Derrick Evans' grandma when he got arrested, and she def. "thanks" T for inciting "a riot". You go, memaw!

The moment the police officer got dragged into the crowd and beaten has been filmed, too.

Trump Plans Defiant Final Week as Many Democrats Urge His Ouster

Trump, confident VP and cabinet won’t attempt to remove him under 25th Amendment, is planning defiant final days in office—more pardons, trip to Alamo, possible action on Big Tech companies.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-10/trump-plans-defiant-final-week-as-many-democrats-urge-his-ouster?sref=yYYRek8e

11 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Trump Plans Defiant Final Week as Many Democrats Urge His Ouster

Trump, confident VP and cabinet won’t attempt to remove him under 25th Amendment, is planning defiant final days in office—more pardons, trip to Alamo, possible action on Big Tech companies.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-10/trump-plans-defiant-final-week-as-many-democrats-urge-his-ouster?sref=yYYRek8e

A trip to the Alamo? If I lived in the San Antonio area, I would be out peacefully demonstrating against him (wearing a mask) when he gets there. I am finally at the point where I would risk a crowd that couldn't social distance properly in order to visibly show my opposition to this evil man. 

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Well, shit

I mentioned this earlier. This is the kind of hammer we can expect. This shouldn't be surprising - its what white rapists get consistently too. 

Listening to NPR is pretty sobering. Not because of events or that David Folkenflicks voice is itself sobering - its a very innocuous observation.

2017 had Charlottesville. This year we had the capitol building. In both cases we had some of the same people. In 2017, however, you had people in stormfront or other openly supremacist sites planning. It was hard for the normal person to see these plans - you had to go out of your way. 

In 2021 though, the plans were circulated in soccer mom groups and fantasy football sites. The believers in this are very regular people. They brought kids and babies to the rally and the riot. 

Quite literally, their representatives support their views because they are representative of the majority of the people. 

I don't know how to deal with that. But I do know that is exactly what fascism looks like. 

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

More and more I'm coming to the realization that any kind of Trumpy platform to connect with his flowers, Drumpf will have one of those 1-900 call lines where he can have them listen to a pre-recorded message of him reading a three day old weather report for the a small fee of $2.99 for the first minute and $0.99 for each additional minute...complete with Ivanka doing the late nite partly line commercial...

"To hear President Trump blame the blacks, press 1.
To hear President Trump blame the Jews, press 2."

Etc.

So, Pence will act, but he wants to wait until Trump kills some more people first.

Pence has not ruled out 25th Amendment, source says

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/09/politics/mike-pence-25th-amendment/index.html

(CNN)Vice President Mike Pence has not ruled out an effort to invoke the 25th Amendment and wants to preserve the option in case President Donald Trump becomes more unstable, a source close to the vice president says.

The source said there is some concern inside Pence's team that there are risks to invoking the 25th Amendment or even to an impeachment process, as Trump could take some sort of rash action putting the nation at risk.
As of Saturday evening, Trump and Pence still have not spoken since the Wednesday incursion at the US Capitol that left five people dead, including a Capitol Police officer, another source told CNN. The President has also not made any public comments denouncing death threats that have been posted on social media targeting Pence.
Pence has finally "gotten a glimpse of POTUS's vindictiveness," one source said, using the acronym for President of the United States.
Two sources familiar with the matter say Trump is angry at Pence and Pence is disappointed and saddened by Trump.

CNN's Phil Mattingly was in front of monitors in the run-up to the votes starting, in the Russell building, and once the proceedings started went down to the connecting tunnels to join other CNN reporters. He got to the elevators up and a Capitol Police officer stopped him and said, no, you can't go up. He said, no it's ok, I'm joining my colleagues, and the officer again told him he couldn't go up. When he protested he was told he really needed to turn around and go back to wherever he came from.

Back at the offices they have a small balcony that looks over the east side of the Capitol. He said the best way he can describe what he then saw was like that scene in a science fiction movie when the character realizes the alien ship has landed. I immediately thought of Independence Day.

12 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

.......Diana of Themyscira?

:D Rather more ... Cassandra of Troy, perhaps.

Returning to what to call the 6th of January -- Jill Lapore runs down the definitions as we understand them of many of the terms here:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/what-should-we-call-the-sixth-of-january

"Insurgent" has a complex and complicated lexical significance:

.... In the United States, the language of insurrection has a vexed racial history. “Insurrection” was the term favored by slaveowners for the political actions taken by people held in human bondage seeking their freedom. Thomas Jefferson, in the Declaration of Independence, charged the king with having “excited domestic insurrections amongst us.” The English lexicographer Samuel Johnson, an opponent of slavery, once offered a toast “To the next insurrection of the negroes in the West Indies.” And Benjamin Franklin, wryly objecting to Southern politicians’ conception of human beings as animals, offered this rule to tell the difference between them: “sheep will never make any insurrections.”

The term’s racial inflection lasted well beyond the end of slavery. In the nineteen-sixties, law-and-order Republicans used that language to demean civil-rights protests, to describe a political movement as rampant criminality. “We have seen the gathering hate, we have heard the threats to burn and bomb and destroy,” Richard Nixon said, in 1968. “In Watts and Harlem and Detroit and Newark, we have had a foretaste of what the organizations of insurrection are planning for the summer ahead.” In that era, though, “riot” replaced “insurrection” as the go-to racial code word: “riots” were Black, “protests” were white, as Elizabeth Hinton argues in an essential, forthcoming book, “America on Fire: The Untold History of Police Violence and Black Rebellion Since the 1960s.” “Yet historically,” Hinton observes, “most instances of mass criminality have been perpetrated by white vigilantes hostile to integration and who joined together into roving mobs that took ‘justice’ in their own hands.” This remains an apt description of what happened on January 6th.

I don't get Pence right now. T's base already hates him, they wanted him to hang, surely he doesn't think he can count on them in 2024? Does he want sth to happen at the inauguration? And by invoking the 25th, he'd get protection for the rest of his life. He might need it.

14 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I don't get Pence right now. T's base already hates him, they wanted him to hang, surely he doesn't think he can count on them in 2024? Does he want sth to happen at the inauguration? And by invoking the 25th, he'd get protection for the rest of his life. He might need it.

If you are implying that by invoking the 25th he would get protection for the rest of his life because he would be a former President, that is not correct, because invoking the Amendment makes him just "Acting President", not President. I would hope Congress would vote to give him such protection (and I don't know what former VPs get now) but it would not be automatic. 

12 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Wait, did he just give us the answer to the riddle of steel:P

Yes. it was a really good speech.

He did not. He stopped at Thulsa Doom's answer, but the true answer he came too after pondering his victory on the steps of Doom's place of worship was not shared in the video. I actually found it very distracting. :crying:

Archived