US Politics: 2 Fash 2 Impeach

Morpheus

11 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

That’s not even a question; I’m going to assume the salad was not pre-made. Maybe some spinach, some radicchio, throw on some radish and a couple other gee-gaws and lightly toss in a vinaigrette. When I was in charge of salad prep at the Speakeasy in 1992 I could literally have made that in ten seconds. 

I'll believe you can make that salad in ten seconds when this guy chops 90 coconuts.

But jokes aside, servers at an airport restaurant know when you're ordering to go for your flight to put the silverware in the bag. I'd bet this is one of those salads you can buy where you'd get a bag of chips and a water. 

19 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

That’s not even a question; I’m going to assume the salad was not pre-made. Maybe some spinach, some radicchio, throw on some radish and a couple other gee-gaws and lightly toss in a vinaigrette. When I was in charge of salad prep at the Speakeasy in 1992 I could literally have made that in ten seconds.(the Speakeasy in Moorhead, MN, where I worked in college was where the NW pilots drank before they got arrested for flying while drunk.)

Also, you might be shocked at the culinary innovations in airports. My whole Del.....ta....Concourse T4 JFK renewal was all about these high end (and some chain) restaurants doing stuff in T4. 

The Austin TX airport kicks ass for food, and being a nice all around airport. It almost entirely consists of branches of actual local restaurants that people who live there actually eat it when they aren’t forced into an airport decision.

I did have some good food the last time I went through JFK and it looked like a pretty new area. Cant remember if it was T4, but it was definitely a better than normal (for America) section of airport. 

20 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Have mise en place, dude. I summon @MercenaryChef to tell you what this is and that it is a legit thing.

And note that I did not actually COOK anything, at the time, god forbid, although le mise en place also works great for cooking stuff, too; despite the fact that I regrettably set myself on fire or otherwise burn myself (last week being a prime example of how I should not be allowed near sources of gas heat on a stove)...having yo shit prepared and ready to go is key to the fast preparation of the actual food. I do know that, despite multiple burn scars on the actual food prep.

The fact that while at home, setting myself on fire was generally done while attempting to read a novel and cook at the same time is meaningless ;)  And bad cooking form, but hey, good books, what can I say??

Making a salad in 10 seconds is how you forget to put the silverware in. ;)

And how often exactly do you set yourself on fire? :P

You could'Ve kept that relevant to the US politics with a little more effort.

Does the number of times you got burned exceed the number of people that got bruned hoping for a pardon for their actions on Capitol hill?

See, how elegantly you could get back to the impeachment proceedings?

Washington Post: Postmaster expected to consolidate first-class mail in anticipated slowdown

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/politics/dejoy-first-class-mail/index.html

(CNN)Postmaster General Louis DeJoy plans to lump all first-class mail into a single delivery category as part of his decade-long plan for the agency in a move that would slow the transit of such mail, The Washington Post reported Friday.

Citing two people briefed on his strategic plan for the US Postal Service, the paper reported that DeJoy has outlined getting rid of a type of two-day-delivery first class mail, which includes envelope-sized mail sent locally. All first-class mail would thus be sent in the three- to five-day range currently set for nonlocal mail, according to the Post.
A push to increase postal rates also is in the works, the paper reported.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

If it was De.....lta at JFK after 2017, it was T4.

apologies for having to use ellipses, but must be less search-able, you understand

Was after 2017 for sure but can’t remember the airline or terminal. I just remember it was a really, really long day. I had been on the island of Dominica to train some dudes for work.

The way there was pretty straightforward, just one stop in Puerto Rico, but for the trip back I had to go from Dominica to Barbados to NYC to Austin. I had like a 5 hour layover in Barbados so I found a resort where I could pay people to watch my stuff while I went to the beach. Later that day flew to NYC and had late dinner at the airport - and this is where I remember being pleasantly surprised by the quality of food and the setting because I was worn out at this point and expecting shitty airport food. Flew the rest of the way to Texas that same night. Too much for one day.

Dominica was pretty neat. It’s mountainous (the flight in is pretty hairy), volcanic, and jungly but suffers from a total lack of sandy beaches so it gets none of the attention of nearby places like Antigua and St Lucia. If you went on a Caribbean trip to Dominica in hopes of sandy beaches you’d be incredibly disappointed. But there’s great hiking, the locals were cool, there’s hardly any tourists, and the food was amazing. There’s probably good diving too, considering the sites there are likely less tread upon. These guys I worked with down there had the mealtime sensibility of Hobbits. They would bring me breakfast in the early morning, then “snacks” at like 10:30, then lunch at noonish, and usually an afternoon snack too. And “snacks”, by the way, was a huge tray of food with a bunch of fruit, beans & rice, chicken wings, fish cakes, and these bread roll type things that contained a sort of fish curry filling. It was delicious. Oh, and the best god damn fruit punch I’ve ever had. It’s one of those places you aren’t supposed to use the ice cubes if you are a foreigner but those guys brought me a cup of juice with cubes and I decided to just roll the dice and drink it. Great decision. Anyway, probably won’t be back, but those guys were cool.

So I recall a while back there were worries Andrew Cuomo's exposure due to covid would revitalize his career and make him a formidable player for national office or even just the Senate.  I think those worries can be put to bed now.

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Washington Post: Postmaster expected to consolidate first-class mail in anticipated slowdown

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/politics/dejoy-first-class-mail/index.html

How is DeJoy still in charge? Can't Biden fire him and replace him with somebody NOT determined to destroy the USPS?

8 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

How is DeJoy still in charge? Can't Biden fire him and replace him with somebody NOT determined to destroy the USPS?

No, he can't.  The USPS is an independent agency - arguably the most independent agency..although I'll leave that up to Jennifer Selin, and essentially operates as a public corporation.  It's late and I'm lazy so I'll just let Slate explain:

If DeJoy served at the pleasure of the president, Biden surely would’ve fired him on Day One. But he doesn’t. The problem, ironically, originates from Congress’ desire to insulate USPS from politics. For most of American history, the Postal Service played an integral role in the spoils system, and postmaster general was a plum post for an ally of the president. In 1970, Congress overhauled the structure of the Postal Service to end this sordid tradition of patronage by giving the agency substantial independence. To oversee USPS’s activities, Congress established a nine-member board of governors who are nominated by the president and confirmed by the Senate. No more than five members of the board may belong to the same political party. Once confirmed to the board, governors can only be removed by the president “for cause”; that means their jobs are safe unless the president can show that they engaged in malfeasance or extreme neglect of duty. The board of governors, in turn, selects the postmaster general, who is not subject to Senate approval. And once appointed, the postmaster general can only be removed by the board, though it need not justify its decision.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

No, he can't.  The USPS is an independent agency - arguably the most independent agency..although I'll leave that up to Jennifer Selin, and essentially operates as a public corporation.  It's late and I'm lazy so I'll just let Slate explain:

So did Trump just get lucky that a vacancy came up at the right moment? How long does a term last?

(Apologies for all these questions. I'm just intrigued, because I don't know much of the inner workings of the USPS.)

I only just leaned that the defense has withdrawn their request to obey he sabbath, so it won't pause today.

I don't remember f I posted this yesterday, but the defense lied several times, including

-

Here's a write-up of TLP woes: https://19thnews.org/2021/02/lincoln-project-toxic-workplace/

- toxic work environment:

dissatisfaction was growing within the organization’s more junior ranks, which were made up of largely young and liberal staffers who said they had different standards than some of the group’s leaders, citing Schmidt and Wilson specifically. (...) Young men were “wizards” while young women were “girls.” Political rivals were “pussies” or “cocksuckers” or “faggots.” (...)

There were few women in Lincoln Project’s leadership, and those who were there were treated differently than the men, multiple people said. (...)

On Thursday night, the Lincoln Project tweeted out private direct messages on the social media platform between Horn, who left the organization last week, and this reporter. 

- generous fees (some more so than others)

A frequent quip from Schmidt overheard by multiple people was that the Lincoln Project was his vehicle to achieve “generational wealth.”

- unclear when they knew about Weaver

(update to the article: Steslow  has been denied release from NDA by TLP)

YES! Subpoena Butler!

Mr-van-der-Veen-goes-to-Washington throwing a tantrum.

"If neither the facts nor the law is on your side, pound the table." He literally did that, plus stomping his foot.

Collins, Sasse, Romney, Murkowski voted for hearing the witness.

Archived