US Politics: 2 Fash 2 Impeach

Morpheus

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

While this is why he did it, there is a religious exception for head coverings in the Senate rules - particularly for men:

He may not have known of the rule, or maybe he just didn't think it was appropriate for whatever reason, but I think it should be noted he could have - since he was a man.  After the House changed their rules for Omar, might be best for the Senate to update that one as well.

I was grateful to see such a legitimate reason for it, and an explanation coming out in real time on social media shutting the door on potential mischief for terrible reasons...

Though, it confused me that he didn't wear and head covering, as I could have sworn Congressman Raskin was wearing his...

45 minutes ago, KalbearAnon said:

It's because he's practicing Jewish and you are not allowed head coverings on the senate floor. So he is covering his head whenever he consumes something.

I think that the phrase is "observant Jew" not "practicing". That's for Catholics.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I think that the phrase is "observant Jew" not "practicing". That's for Catholics.

"Practicing" is typically in the context of "non-practicing." And "observant Jew," while correct, is kind of dated. Typically you just say you're Jewish and leave it at that unless one feels the need to establish themselves as a "conservative Jew." Hasidic Jews are obvious to the eye and need no introduction.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

"Practicing" is typically in the context of "non-practicing." And "observant Jew," while correct, is kind of dated. Typically you just say you're Jewish and leave it at that unless one feels the need to establish themselves as a "conservative Jew." Hasidic Jews are obvious to the eye and need no introduction.

Lol, thanks for making me feel old!

Catholics are told we practice our religion. I have never heard of an "observant Catholic". On the other hand, all my life my Jewish friends have talked about being observant. They have used the word practicing, but they use the word observant more. Semantics. 

eta: what I was always told is that they observe the law, they don't practice the law.

Lol, thanks for making me feel old!

Signed, someone who refers to themselves as an old fogey church lady.

Catholics are told we practice our religion. I have never heard of an "observant Catholic". On the other hand, all my life my Jewish friends have talked about being observant. They have used the word practicing, but they use the word observant more. Semantics. 

Nope. It may sound like semantics, but it should give you an insight as to how the two groups approach their relationship with religion. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Signed, someone who refers to themselves as an old fogey church lady.

Nope. It may sound like semantics, but it should give you an insight as to how the two groups approach their relationship with religion. 

The only person who calls me an old fogey church lady, Ty, is you.

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The only person who calls me an old fogey church lady, Ty, is you.

Just quoting your own self-description. :P

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, there are 613 commandments to observe...

And that's kind of the point. Outside of the orthodox sect there is a general understanding that you cannot practice each of these things, especially when you can debate at times that they can contradict one another. Modern Judaism can acknowledge that about itself, and gives its adherents autonomy on varying degrees. Even conservative Jews recognize this by and large. 

To the NYT? I didn’t think he spoke to the Times.

Well who knows if he spoke to them directly or not, point is he's probably the one who leaked it.  It's not that uncommon for politicians to leak their displeasure to the press on background, let alone a PR narcissist like Trump.

It could be any number of people who leaked the info, but Trump has a long history of manipulating his own leaks. He has a love/hate thing with the NYT as he desperately wants their approval. He spilled everything to Bob Woodward who works for the WP which he despises because of Bezos.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/exqkbp/remembering-john-barron-donald-trumps-spokesman-alter-ego-116

With impeachment forcing Fox News to cover things they'd otherwise never would, they are now forced to admit, over 1 month after the fact, that there is indeed "at least some degree of linkage" between Trump and the storming of the Capitol.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news-admits-at-least-some-link-between-trump-and-riots?ref=home?ref=home

In the moments after House impeachment managers wrapped up their opening arguments on Tuesday, Fox News anchors were briefly forced to concede that the connection between President Donald Trump's inciting actions and the violent insurrection is hard to dispute.

“When we saw that video,” John Roberts said, referring to the comprehensive montage of footage from the Jan. 6 riots presented by Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD), “we saw some of the people who were at the tip of the spear breaching the Capitol, repeating what Trump had said in his rally: ‘We will stop the steal.’” He also highlighted the moment when one of the rioters confronted a Capitol police officer by saying, “We are listening to Trump, your boss.”

“So there would seem to be at least some degree of linkage,” Roberts admitted.

When only 6% of Republicans support Trump's impeachment for incitement, this is exactly where that comes from.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I thought cultural Jew was the self-describtion of the folks that identify as Jewish, but are not really that much into all the religious rules and stuff.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Well who knows if he spoke to them directly or not, point is he's probably the one who leaked it.  It's not that uncommon for politicians to leak their displeasure to the press on background, let alone a PR narcissist like Trump.

He could just vent his displeasure on Twitter.

Oh, wait...

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

To the NYT? I didn’t think he spoke to the Times.

He just has to pretend to hate the Times for the rurals who think anything New York is elitist (except for born rich Trump), they have carried so much water for him the past six years and normalized a lot of shit.

Archived