US politics: Manchin to the beat of a different drum

IheartIheartTesla

23 minutes ago, argonak said:

Yikes.  I'll never understand the utter and complete obsession the right has with abortion.  They don't care kids are dying in Gaza right now, half of them are cheering.  They didn't care about the kids WE bombed.  

But a tiny pack of accidentally created cells. . . time to march on Washington.   "Oh the baby is born?  To hell with it, go die in a gutter you freeloader."

"Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers." - George Carlin

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'd guess Fox News.

Faux News founded in 1996 and 9/11 were the first drop. A Black president presaged the next drop which has since gone in overdrive thanks to MAGAts.

But seriously I actually don't understand where the stereotyping accusation comes from.

I observed that civil rights activists and MLK were unpopular in the 60s. That is pretty well established. I said some people who now praise MLK would have disapproved of him at the time. I didn't say every white person or every Southerner. So where's the stereotyping?

Because you didn't take into account my mom's life story.  Jerk.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Because you didn't take into account my mom's life story.  Jerk.

Or didn't account for those that supported MLK at the time and now regret that decision ... ???

16 minutes ago, Week said:

Faux News founded in 1996 and 9/11 were the first drop. A Black president presaged the next drop which has since gone in overdrive thanks to MAGAts.

Kinda funny that Fox News viewers have made me question my own commitment to democracy. 'Tis a vicious cycle.

ETA: US Capital Police is denying that they put out any official statement on the proposed legislation and that they can't even confirm if it was a rogue officer who put out the statement or someone else entirely.

I'm starting to feel that the time to have a 9/11 style bipartisan commission on the insurrection is passing by and that if the Republicans cannot get on board then, jumping to a style more in line with mirroring the Nuremberg Trials may be more practical...

Time to no longer give this particular minority party any leeway.  On any of it.

Kinda funny that Fox News viewers have made me question my own commitment to democracy. 'Tis a vicious cycle.

We’ll really see Republicans commitment to it if they control the Congress and Biden is reelected in 2024

7 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

The governor of Oklahoma tweeted that this Chicken fast food chain sauce shortage is the fault of Biden's radical politics.

"This Chicken fast foot chain's sauce" she says. People will fight you for that nasty Chick-fil-A Polynesian sauce. #Murika

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

"This Chicken fast foot chain's sauce" she says. People will fight you for that nasty Chick-fil-A Polynesian sauce. #Murika

But not on Sunday. 

When I STILL CAN NOT, in 2021, buy hard liquor. 

:tantrum:

Separation of church and state my pale white ass. 

4 hours ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Because it's really about punishing women for having sex. "Protecting innocent life" is just a convenient bullshit excuse for the vast majority of people obsessed with getting rid of abortion. 

That is part of it, but I think it’s more about a combination of abortion being a very easy message to package for public consumption and keeping Christians in the conservative fold. The term ‘baby killer’ invokes just about the most evil thing most people can imagine, and if people don’t stop and think about it any further than that - and, let’s face it, critical thinking IS asking a lot from the general population - you get a knee-jerk irrational response from a big enough group of people to pay political dividends.

then there are a lot of conservatives in America who I think could potentially flip to democrats if it weren’t for abortion - some evangelicals and hard line Catholics might find it hard to justify some of the right’s policies towards the poor, or minorities, or an obvious uncouth heathen like Donald Trump being the face of the country, but abortion is the conservative trump card that keeps them from straying and is why they’ll continue playing it.

As to the Texas law, I think it’s barbaric. Even setting aside the horrible non exceptions for rape. Wife having recently had a baby, if I remember correctly, at 6 weeks you don’t anything at all about the baby other than that you are pregnant. We did genetic testing and all of that but I’m pretty sure it was after 6 weeks, meaning if you found out that your baby was going to suffer a short, painful existence due to some abnormality the state would force you to carry to term. Seems like cruelty and human suffering dressed up as a righteous cause.

GOP defections over Jan. 6 commission deliver rebuke to McCarthy
Ultimately, 35 Republicans joined Democrats in approving the commission.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/19/gop-mccarthy-jan-6-commission-489598

House GOP divisions were on full display Wednesday as dozens of Republicans broke with their party leadership and former President Donald Trump to support a proposed commission investigating the Jan. 6 siege on the Capitol.

The measure, which would task a bipartisan 10-person commission with delivering a report on the causes and facts of the insurrection by the end of the year, passed the House by a 252-175 vote with every Democrat and 35 Republicans in support.

It now heads to an uncertain future in the 50-50 Senate, where Minority Leader Mitch McConnell says he’ll oppose the legislation.

The big bipartisan vote was a major rebuke to House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who worked hard to minimize the brewing rebellion in his ranks over the commission. During the vote, McCarthy huddled in the back of the chamber with his staff, watching the vote tally tick upward as Republican after Republican registered their “yes” vote.

McCarthy’s handling of his party's internal divisions this week has revealed potential weaknesses in his leadership style — and offered a preview of how the California Republican might run the House one day.

McCarthy initially empowered one of his allies, moderate Rep. John Katko of New York, to cut a bipartisan deal with his Democratic counterpart on an independent, 9/11 style commission to investigate the deadly Capitol riots. But when Katko ultimately struck an agreement, which included most of McCarthy’s demands, the GOP leader balked at the plan.

25 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

GOP defections over Jan. 6 commission deliver rebuke to McCarthy
Ultimately, 35 Republicans joined Democrats in approving the commission.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/19/gop-mccarthy-jan-6-commission-489598

Shocking, the guy dumb enough to admit on live TV that the Benghazi hearings were a fraud to hurt Clinton can't lead at all...

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I still coulda sworn they banned any McCarthys from Congress decades ago.  Or at least from any leader/chair position.

Lol, the GOP wishes everyone of their members could make him look like a liberal.

10 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I think a lot of people just don't understand how turbulent the civil rights movement actually was, how much mainstream America hated and loathed civil rights activists, and how violent the anti-progress forces were. Probably comes from a shitty, white-washed education. Like Rosa Parks refused to move, Martin Luther King gave a speech, there were some marches, and then America solved racism. And now MLK is cited as a positive role model by oblivious people who, sixty years ago, would have wanted him lynched for "playing the race card" or being "divisive" or some shit like that.

Recent history is incredibly poorly taught. Anything a high school student's grandparents were alive for is I think avoided or glossed over in high school classes because teachers don't want complaints.

I actually saw a posting somewhere else a few months ago by a young person who said the civil unrest this past year after the George Floyd case was the most violent in the USA since the Civil War!  As someone who is 69 that boggled my mind. He evidently didn't know anything about the 1965 Watts riots or the 1967 Detroit riots or even the 1992 Rodney King riots in L.A., all of which happened when I was old enough to remember them. Not to mention of course the Tulsa massacre which this year is the 100th anniversary of, and I'm sure many others which I am not remembering off the top of my head right now. 

8 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I actually saw a posting somewhere else a few months ago by a young person

Kids these days....

But yeah, the ignorance of recent history - and also how much the Jim Crow Era seems to be papered over - is daunting and depressing.  And I think you're exactly right that it has a lot to do with teachers avoiding uncomfortable subjects, for whatever reason.

Archived