Football: Pep talk needed

Iskaral Pust

As an aside, I'm going to be really sad if Spain make it to the finals. Nothing against them but they've been fairly dire to watch and I really do not want to see them play two games.

Italy should win. Spain will probably be able to at least match them in the possession stakes but the Spanish are also a lot more vulnerable defensively in addition to being extremely wasteful up front. Azpi should have an easier time at RB though without Spinazzola bombing forward.

Enrique fucked up by not selecting Nacho who was excellent this past season and would have been the perfect partner for Laporte. His selection would have meant that Laporte could play at LCB and thereby cover for Alba who is great going forward but leaves a big hole defensively. Laporte is great at covering spaces in a high line and 1v1 defending whereas Pau Torres really struggles with that.

As an aside, I hope United aren't thinking about signing Pau Torres. He's the Spanish Lindelof - not fast enough, not that good in 1v1 defending and weak in aerial duels. He's a solid defender in a compact low block but vulnerable in a high line (much like Lindelof). His weaknesses are already being shown up in the NT setup.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

As an aside, I'm going to be really sad if Spain make it to the finals. Nothing against them but they've been fairly dire to watch and I really do not want to see them play two games.

I don't really get that. The last game being a bit of exception they've created loads of chances, they've just been a bit inconsistent with taking them. They're also not rock solid defensively which is generally more fun. Italy have been better than them (and the best side in the tournament) so I suppose as a neutral you'd be picking them but in a hypothetical Spain vs England or Denmark final I doubt Spain would be the problem in the entertainment stakes. 

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

It's official. Palace appoint Vieira on a 3 year contract.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/news/patrick-vieira-appointed-as-manager/2021-07-04/

I'll eat my socks if he's not fired or resigns before said 3 years. Vieira is one of those guys whom by their leadership and intelligence on the pitch, looks like a certain bet to be a top manager, but ends up being 2nd rate at best ( De Boer himself is a good example, and going back a little Matthaus and Falcão are as well)

37 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I don't really get that. The last game being a bit of exception they've created loads of chances, they've just been a bit inconsistent with taking them. They're also not rock solid defensively which is generally more fun. Italy have been better than them (and the best side in the tournament) so I suppose as a neutral you'd be picking them but in a hypothetical Spain vs England or Denmark final I doubt Spain would be the problem in the entertainment stakes. 

Maybe my perception is coloured by the last two games I've seen, but I found them really stale to watch. I do love watching Pedri though, so that would be the plus point of them making it to the finals. But even the earlier games, a lot of it felt like stale possession even though I know their xG stats are fairly decent.

Hope Italy make it through.

I was under the impression that Viera had been pimping himself about looking for jobs despite a poor record, but turns out he has a reasonable history as a manager. Not enough to get him a premier league position on its own,  but I guess they hand out jobs to people like Arteta just for standing next to Pep, so I get it.

Maybe he will do ok, but Palace is a huge rebuild job and the club needs a very good recruiting infrastructure to succeed in the next couple of years 

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

The disparity between player leadership and manager leadership can't be worse than Keane. 

Challenge accepted.

I have two words for you: Stefan Effenberg.

His short tenure as manager at Paderborn was spectacular. From the posing of his second wife (formerly married to his equally moronic former teammate at Bayern and former international Struntz, that's another story for another day). To his employer finding out, that Effenberg's coaching license had expired, because he missed out on a refresher course, to one of his players drunkenly exposing himself during training camp (+ pictures), to him losing his driver's license.

All that happened within the glorious span of six months in Paderborn. Needless to say, that was his first and his last appointment as manager. Oh yeah, he also had the nerve to lament the alck of professionalism of Paderborn's club boss after his dismissal.

So now then, how does he fare against Keane.

Roy Keane got fired from Sunderland after an incident where he got his assistant to set up a tactics board at a half-time teamtalk just so he could run in and kung-fu kick it into a wall, after which he called several players cunts and allegedly tried to hit another. 

Also the incident, confirmed in his second autobiography, in which he walked into Reading's manager's room after a game and assaulted an assistant coach.

But the award has to go to Effenberg. His 6 month spell looks like it was a complete and utter clown show that no club wanted to touch him with a ten foot pole after that. At least Keane got Sunderland promoted after taking over early in the season when they were sat in the relegation zone but ended up winning the Championship title.

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It’s always laughable how much effort Keane puts into trying to look tough.  A 5’7 hard man.  The chip on his shoulder is bigger than him.

It's not about the size of the dog in the fight but about the size of fight in the dog. ;) 

Joking aside, as much as I disliked Keane, he definitely was a tough player back in the day. If you haven't seen him play I'd suggest you check out some of his highlights  videos.

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It’s always laughable how much effort Keane puts into trying to look tough.  A 5’7 hard man.  The chip on his shoulder is bigger than him.

I said this on another thread, but when Keane appears on TV today he very much seems to me to be aware that this is what the companies are paying him for - the steely glare, the rubbishing of modern players, the hard man act. He's a pantomime villain, a wrestling heel on the pundits' panel, and getting paid well for it.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

Joking aside, as much as I disliked Keane, he definitely was a tough player back in the day. If you haven't seen him play I'd suggest you check out some of his highlights  videos.

Aye he definitely has a chip on his shoulder but you can't forget things like the time Vieira tried to start shit with Gary Neville in the tunnel so Keane stepped in and Vieira hid behind a little girl.

He’s definitely putting on a persona for the tv, and I think most people are a little tired of it. It’s funny for a couple of choice comments that go viral but you know; when there are genuine insightful things said right next to him by Neville it just highlights how inane his commentary is

Archived