Watch Watched Watching: The Rambunctious Cinema of Terrence Malick

polishgenius

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

So was there a "I'm tired of these motherfucking vampires on my motherfucking plane!" moment? 

Sadly it was delayed a bit so I couldn't watch it, but it's there now and I know what I'm doing after dinner. Bummed though because I could have sworn I say that Old was streaming on HBO Max, but I guess not. Would have been one hell of a weird double feature to take in tonight.

I am enjoying the crap out of the Masters of the Universe He-Man thing on Neflix. I was an 80s kid and had all the toys. The new show has great fights, plenty of call-backs for all of us of an age, and some great and very recognizable voice work. It's just a lot of fun for a specific viewer base.

Boy did I see a movie. I wish I had watched it in German, or in the blended English-German option, but I got the pure English version and the dubbing wasn't great. 

Blood Red Sky is entertaining, but it's a far cry from good. I one day hope to have the strength to have my hand cut off field medic style and five minutes later be ready to still be in charge and handling everything just fine. 

Watched 3 episodes of the new Masters of the Universe thing on Netflix. Was intrigued by the trailer and was looking forward to a nostalgia hit seeing all my favourite toys from my childhood in action again!

First episode sort of delivered some of that, it seemed to show some affection for the original show but add in a bit more depth so that it felt more modern.

After that first episode though.. I have no idea what I just watched. Quite frankly bizarre and infuriating. 

So basically a He Man show… that doesn’t have He Man in it?! Are you kidding me?

It’s really Teela and the female mistresses of the universe. Not only is He Man not there but there are no men there .. well the ones that are seem to be completely ineffectual sidekicks who just apologise the entire time for their own uselessness. 

It doesn’t help that if you are going to centre the entire show around Teela that you also make her an annoying self aggrandising arrogant brat… and team her up with other unlikable characters to really make the whole thing unwatchable.

I saw a rumour that due to contractual limitations because the original show isn’t owned by the same company that they had to make it a bit looser, but Kevin Smith needs his head read if he thinks ditching He Man was a good idea 

Oh well. Shouldn’t have gotten my hopes up

Watched the first episodes of The Good Fight. It's nothing revolutionary, but I liike all the protagonists and got hooked on the ongoing storyline and I feel well entertained. Bonus points: understated Trump bashing.

Watched Kingdom: Ashin of the North.  It's a nice teaser for the third season.  Tragic backstory creates supervillain sort of story.

It probably helped I read up on the Jurgchens, and Joseon a few weeks ago out of curiosity for that time and place.

7 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I gave up on current television. I’m watching Jurassic Park and I’ve lined up a list of 90s early 00s nostalgia films I will rewatch, because there’s just nothing new that’s both good and available. 

Congratulations on watching the best movie ever made. 

ETA: With the noted exception that the T-Rex park makes no sense whatsoever. 

Also, I'm on team Book Muldoon. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

team Malcolm -- but the 3DO Malcolm B) 

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The weird geography of the T-Rex paddock is nothing compared to how it sneaks up on them at the end, indoors. 

Edit: also Hammod's helicopter lands, they rush over to tell the pilot to shut the rotors off, and hammond is somehow already in their trailer going through their fridge. 

The T Rex park is one thing. And Tim surviving the car, the fence and the skeleton is another. But they have a raptor compound between the control room and the electricity panel dungeon… :shocked:

anyway, it’s still one of the best adventure films. 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

The weird geography of the T-Rex paddock is nothing compared to how it sneaks up on them at the end, indoors. 

Edit: also Hammod's helicopter lands, they rush over to tell the pilot to shut the rotors off, and hammond is somehow already in their trailer going through their fridge. 

Clearly teleportation is a thing in the JP universe. Lets not get into the mechanics of how things actually work....

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

The T Rex park is one thing. And Tim surviving the car, the fence and the skeleton is another. But they have a raptor compound between the control room and the electricity panel dungeon… :shocked:

anyway, it’s still one of the best adventure films. 

The story needed it so hush! 

Just finished season three of The Man in the High Castle

The first season was really good. The characters were fleshed out, the story was compelling and the show gave you a real sense of danger. Some of that still existed in season two, but the show veered in all kinds of directions and didn't always make a ton of sense. Season three was much of the same, though it did have a bit more touch than the second season. I'm going to watch the forth season just to see it through, but I can't in good faith recommend this show unless you feel it calls out to you. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Clearly teleportation is a thing in the JP universe. Lets not get into the mechanics of how things actually work....

The story needed it so hush! 

I can also remember trying to figure out exactly what went on with Arnold's arm, and concluded that a raptor must have killed him, heard Sadler coming and ripped the arm off thinking "oh this is gonna be hilarious." 

I love the movie of course, but I also wish I could "Man in the High Castle" the version James Cameron was going to make. 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I can also remember trying to figure out exactly what went on with Arnold's arm, and concluded that a raptor must have killed him, heard Sadler coming and ripped the arm off thinking "oh this is gonna be hilarious." 

I love the movie of course, but I also wish I could "Man in the High Castle" the version James Cameron was going to make. 

How did it fall from above, but the raptor was behind her? Clearly it chucked it with pinpoint accuracy. How did the dilophosaurus get into Newman's Jeep? How did a kid hack a super complex system by playing a simple mid-90's videogame style mainframe? How could Grant not shoot something five feet in front of him? Reasons, that's why! 

The jeep one doesn't bother me, didn't he leave the door open? You have to assume it was a different dilophosaurus though.

I saw a clip the other day where someone had to let a bear out of their car. I thought that was really weird because hey, free bear! but the guy just let it go. 

48 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How did a kid hack a super complex system by playing a simple mid-90's videogame style mainframe? 

It was unix system, she knew those! To be fair though I don't think she was really hacking in there was just no password or anything. I can understand Spielberg wanting to use something visual instead of having her typing commands. 

All of these pale in comparison to the plot hole baked into the premise of the upcoming movie (spoilering in case anyone didn't see the last one) 

That all these dinosaurs let loose in America wouldn't just be shot dead inside of a month.  

I wonder if they considered bringing Lex and Tim back for the new one. The guy who played Tim did a stint on Justified a few years back so I know he's still acting. 

Edit: Oh shit!

Dodgson! They've got Dodgson there!

13 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The jeep one doesn't bother me, didn't he leave the door open? You have to assume it was a different dilophosaurus though.

I saw a clip the other day where someone had to let a bear out of their car. I thought that was really weird because hey, free bear! but the guy just let it go. 

It was unix system, she knew those! To be fair though I don't think she was really hacking in there was just no password or anything. I can understand Spielberg wanting to use something visual instead of having her typing commands. 

All of these pale in comparison to the plot hole baked into the premise of the upcoming movie (spoilering in case anyone didn't see the last one) 

Reveal hidden contents

That all these dinosaurs let loose in America wouldn't just be shot dead inside of a month.  

I wonder if they considered bringing Lex and Tim back for the new one. The guy who played Tim did a stint on Justified a few years back so I know he's still acting. 

Edit: Oh shit!

Dodgson! They've got Dodgson there!

Well guns aren't an issue. Not one gun was fired in the lost world.  Clearly public safety was meaningless when it was more important to get the t rex away and unharmed.

Archived