Football: A Tale of Two Finals

Corvinus85

18 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I cannot imagine that anyone spending 2.7 billion is doing so dependent on the commitment of a lone 34-year-old. They obviously think they can get La Liga back to previous levels and get a return on that investment- Messi might be a short-term shine but he's not gonna be a part of any long-term planning. 

Yeah, pretty much this. If the agreement is ratified then LaLiga plans to set up a new company housing all of LaLiga’s businesses, subsidiaries and join ventures and in which CVC will hold a stake of 10%.

ETA. Oh yeah. This will be a long term deal too (some reports say 50 years) so their decision to invest has nothing to do with Messi.

That looked like a malicious tackle on Fofana.  Why is that happening in a pre-season warm-up?  (And it makes me think again that the hard men of football are just cowards)

Somehow Liverpool are up to their eyeballs in great CBs. VVD, Matip, Gomez and Konate should all be fit for the seasons.  Nat Phillips wild ordinarily have earned a #4 roster spot with his performances last year, but he looks a distant 5th until Matip gets injured again.

I’m not sure why Konate was the priority ahead of a replacement for Gini or a back-up forward (especially ahead of the AfCoN).  It’s not likely that last year’s calamity will strike again.

It seems Liverpool are spending most of their budget on contract renewals.  TAA, Fabinho and Alisson have all signed renewals in the past week, and I think Salah, Mane, VVD and Robertson are in negotiations right now.

32 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m not sure why Konate was the priority ahead of a replacement for Gini or a back-up forward (especially ahead of the AfCoN).  It’s not likely that last year’s calamity will strike again.

It seems Liverpool are spending most of their budget on contract renewals.  TAA, Fabinho and Alisson have all signed renewals in the past week, and I think Salah, Mane, VVD and Robertson are in negotiations right now.

Matip is massively injury-prone and Phillips just isn't very good - we needed a new centre back.

The continual spending-the-budget-on-contract-renewals bullshit will see us end up in mid-table eventually. I fully expect us to do nothing more this summer, have our lack of quality options up front bite us on the arse, and for us to fix the offending areas a year too late all over again, having wasted another season.

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That looked like a malicious tackle on Fofana.  Why is that happening in a pre-season warm-up?  (And it makes me think again that the hard men of football are just cowards)

Somehow Liverpool are up to their eyeballs in great CBs. VVD, Matip, Gomez and Konate should all be fit for the seasons.  Nat Phillips wild ordinarily have earned a #4 roster spot with his performances last year, but he looks a distant 5th until Matip gets injured again.

VVD is the only Liverpool CB whose injury was a surprise. Gomez has had injuries before and Matip spends as much time in physio room as he does on the pitch. A top quality CB was THE priority, especially considering it is unknown at what level VVD would return.

From Laporta's press conference:

- Barca's payroll represents 110% of revenue. With Messi leaving this figure goes down to 95%.

- Even though an agreement was reached with Messi and him as well as other players accepting wage cuts, they simply could not clear enough from the payroll to register Messi and comply with the league's financial restrictions.

- Says that according to their calculations they will be able to register the other signings (Aguero, Depay, Garcia and Emerson).

- Barca's losses for last season is expected to be around €487m.

- Goes on to condemn the previous board. Says that many decisions made by them are difficult to understand and intimated that the club could pursue criminal liability. Says that after thoroughly examining the books and contracts the financial situation is much worse than they had anticipated - not only the high wages and debt but also the amortisation costs are very high as well. They are in the process of restructuring the debt.

ETA. also confirms that Barca will oppose the CVC investment as the club are not prepared to mortgage their broadcasting rights for the next 50 years.

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Says that after thoroughly examining the books and contracts the financial situation is much worse than they had anticipated

Isn't this true of most big clubs these days, hence why they were will to try out the ESL? 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Isn't this true of most big clubs these days, hence why they were will to try out the ESL? 

Not really. The English clubs involved are all basically fine, Madrid and the Italian clubs overreached but aren't actually collapsing. Barca have to reduce their budget by three quarters in two years, it's an almost Blackpool level of incompetence. They're probably too prominent internationally now to Leeds themselves into two-decade obscurity, but it's not out of the question.

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Barca's situation is much worse than all of the other big clubs. The English big six and Bayern at least can operate just fine without the super league. Real Madrid are in a perfectly good financial situation too - they've had to do some belt tightening and did so successfully so they ended up with a €800k profit for last season. Atletico Madrid are in good shape too. Inter have some issue with their owners which has left them in some difficulty but the sales of Hakimi and Lukaku should be enough to see them through.

20 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

TBF if your options are Paris or Manchester (and I say this as someone who lived in Manchester for 3 years) it really isn't a difficult decision. 

If you can afford it (which Messi obviously can). Too bad tho, I know how much you wanted to see Messi in a Chelsea shirt. :P

31 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

If you can afford it (which Messi obviously can). Too bad tho, I know how much you wanted to see Messi in a Chelsea shirt. :P

It would have been the dream, but now I have to root for PSG too. Great, a league even harder to find for free stateside. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealKevinPalmer/status/1423553934334074884

I don’t know this Twitter account at all but ThisIsAnfield just shared it as an update on net spend for PL clubs.

Liverpool have excused their low spending by pointing to a lot of budget going on improved contracts for players, but none of the players look overpaid for their level of contribution, aside from the perma-injured like Shaqiri, Keita, Ox and Matip, which is better than most teams for avoiding waste in wages.  The reality is that the low net spend is helping to finance the stadium updates and the investment in the training facilities.  It’s not even FSG taking over-sized dividends.

Archived