Football: A Tale of Two Finals

Corvinus85

Sure but letting it get to this situation is...a choice. We've known that we've needed a back up keeper for ages. Why not keep Ryan? Unless they think Ramsdale is actually good enough for the no1 spot after leno leaves

It is very funny to me that Arsenal are trying to sign a keeper objectively much shitter than Emiliano Martinez a year after letting him go, for much more money. 

I know there were issues of competition there and Arteta isn't a good enough man manager to keep too no1 keepers happy through a whole season or two, but that really seems like bad business now.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It is very funny to me that Arsenal are trying to sign a keeper objectively much shitter than Emiliano Martinez a year after letting him go, for much more money.

At that time there were no rumblings of Leno leaving. I still don't think there is much to choose from between Martinez & Leno.

I also do not think any manager, irrespective of 'man manager' skills, is keeping Emi as a no 2 there, he had been on so many loans and was never going to stay.

8 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The world is ready to move on to the new Messi.  He’s Polish and plays for Liverpool’s youth team: Musialowski

Looks like a Polish Facundo Pellistri to me. 

The real Polish new Messi is Kacper Kozłowski- you can tell coz his name more or less means 'goated' or 'goater'. 

3 hours ago, Raja said:

Sure but letting it get to this situation is...a choice. We've known that we've needed a back up keeper for ages. Why not keep Ryan? Unless they think Ramsdale is actually good enough for the no1 spot after leno leaves

I know, man, I know. Our personnel situation is frustrating as fuck. Especially when clubs that we have traditionally 'been better than' are getting good business done. That's not to say we are not. People are saying Ben White is the next Stones or Slabhead. Sambi looks like a shrewd signing. And apart from all the dog snogging, Tavares looks good too.

But we cannot start the season with Runarsson anywhere near the first team. We simply cannot allow that to happen. Over everything else we still need, be it a striker or midfielder, this has to be fixed. And if Ramsdale is that fix, well so be it. 

Could be worse. We could be signing Joe Hart.

3 hours ago, Raja said:

At that time there were no rumblings of Leno leaving. I still don't think there is much to choose from between Martinez & Leno.

I also do not think any manager, irrespective of 'man manager' skills, is keeping Emi as a no 2 there, he had been on so many loans and was never going to stay.

I think we should have kept Martinez. And if Arsenal had done their due diligence, they would have known that Leno wasn't fully committed.

Emi is a Gooner. And I have no doubt he would have run through walls for Arteta. If he'd asked him to. Instead, we ended up selling the wrong keeper.

Leno hasn't said he wants to leave. Quite the opposite actually. Putting aside the discussion, whether Leno's commitment is down to his love for the club, or to the love of his contract. But to imply Leno is not committed is a bit confusing.

As for Leno vs. Martinez. One was the senior player, with the bigger contract. Leno has been one of the better performers during his time at Arsenal (yes, he has that odd howler in him, but over the course of a season he saves many more points than he drops). Martinez was the more unproven option, and he wasn't earning as much as Leno, thus making him more moveable.

So you could see why Martinez was moved and not Leno.

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

People are saying Ben White is the next Stones or Slabhead. Sambi looks like a shrewd signing. And apart from all the dog snogging, Tavares looks good too.

Yeah, I'm pleased with Sambi, White & Tavares. I didn't think we needed a CB, but I can see why they went for White. We still look rather dull going forward though.

Also, that Rangers Malmo game was 10/10

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Leno hasn't said he wants to leave. Quite the opposite actually. Putting aside the discussion, whether Leno's commitment is down to his love for the club, or to the love of his contract. But to imply Leno is not committed is a bit confusing.

We've been hearing this for months now. Shit, it wasn't long after Emi left that we started hearing that Leno wanted out.

Then he came out in May to dispel the rumours and state his 100% commitment. 

I suspect he is as committed to us as Kane is to Spurs.

And yeah, Horsey, Martinez is miles better than Leno. Most shots saved, third most clean sheets in the PL last season.

Shame it took him leaving for us to find that out.

15 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The world is ready to move on to the new Messi.  He’s Polish and plays for Liverpool’s youth team: Musialowski

There's been a bit of talk about Musialowski being a real prospect but in the only game I've actually watched him play he was a bit disappointing in the FA Youth Cup final against Villa. It'd be great if he did make it but he's only about 6 months younger than Elliott. As tricky young players we're going to pin our hopes on as Liverpool fans go I think Elliott's probably the one to focus on.

17 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If that first minute is anything to go by, and that's his 'highlights' he is absolutely dogshit. 

I'm not convinced he's going to make it at the top level but, to be fair, the first minute of that highlights video does feature him beating like six players to score a goal against Newcastle.

16 hours ago, Spockydog said:

But we cannot start the season with Runarsson anywhere near the first team. We simply cannot allow that to happen. Over everything else we still need, be it a striker or midfielder, this has to be fixed. And if Ramsdale is that fix, well so be it. 

The thing about this for me is that you could pretty definitely fix that problem without paying 30mil. The only reason I can see you paying that is that like others said Arteta thinks you're gonna replace Leno with him in the end, and he certainly isn't good enough for that. 

29 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The thing about this for me is that you could pretty definitely fix that problem without paying 30mil. The only reason I can see you paying that is that like others said Arteta thinks you're gonna replace Leno with him in the end, and he certainly isn't good enough for that. 

I don't think anyone can claim to know what is in Arteta's head, other than he knows Runarsson is a disaster-in-waiting and cannot ever be allowed to play for us in the PL.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

There's been a bit of talk about Musialowski being a real prospect but in the only game I've actually watched him play he was a bit disappointing in the FA Youth Cup final against Villa. It'd be great if he did make it but he's only about 6 months younger than Elliott. As tricky young players we're going to pin our hopes on as Liverpool fans go I think Elliott's probably the one to focus on.

It was a tongue-in-cheek post because the kid gets called The Polish Messi a lot.  And while there is some similarity there in playing style, he doesn’t look ready to play at senior level for a while yet.  Kaide Gordon in the same u18 team looks more ready to step up to u23, and he did well in preseason (although so did Woodburn yet again for whatever that is worth).

Elliott looks a really precocious talent, and he was almost as productive as Buendia in the Championship last summer.  It’s very rare for a player that young to find his feet so quickly at senior level.

Archived