Football: A Tale of Two Finals

Corvinus85

32 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Have to say I'm tiring of all the, 'Oh, poor Lionel.'

Isn't it because of him, and his salary demands, that Barca are in the state they are today?

I just read that his last contract was EUR500 over four years. Netto.

So, what, we're supposed to blame la Liga, when he's been trousering two billion euros over the past four years. GTFOH.

Could you please share a link where you found those numbers? Also, I'm assuming you meant 500 million euros, but was it over four years or was it yearly? Even 500M total over four years sounds a bit much let alone 500M yearly, but with Barca you can never be sure. The reason it sounds unlikely is that Barca's wage bill was 110% of their income with Messi included and 95% without him (I think these are the numbers posted in this thread) and I don't think that either 125M€ or 500M€ make up for 15% of their income in a season with zero income from match tickets.

There is no denying Messi is a part of the problem, but he's not THE reason why Barca in such a state. You can hardly blame him for the club paying Griezmann insane amounts (ranging 600-800k€/week), or spending 150M€ on Coutinho and not really knowing what to do with him, or spending less on Pjanic but still not knowing what to do with him, or signing Dembele for 100M€, or basically forcing Suarez to leave for 6 million etc.

Not trying to absolve Messi of his part, but Barca has been run poorly for quite a while. I think it was @Consigliere who posted that their net loss was close to half a billion of euros LAST SEASON ALONE! I get that empty stadium for a whole season put a real dent in their income but still it's way too much. One must ask how are they burning so much money on a yearly basis.

Messi and Ramos on the same team. Money really does make the world go round, doesn't it?

Also, I read (Norwegian news outlet) that La Liga has rules against artificially low salaries (presumably with payments on the side) to avoid the wage cap, so Messi couldn't sign a contract without being paid his "natural" rate.

ETA: Article cited by Norwegian news, but paywall and in French, so...

From what I've read, apparently according to Spanish employment law, Messi's wages in the new contract could not be more than 50% less than in his previous contract. So, no, Messi could not play for free and he did agree to the maximum pay cut allowable under Spanish law.

Has anyone ever got a bunch of free transfers even close to what PSG have done this year? Wijnaldum, Ramos, Donnarumma and Messi is some going. While accepting that they are all on huge wages, that must be close to 200 million worth. 

43 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Has anyone ever got a bunch of free transfers even close to what PSG have done this year? Wijnaldum, Ramos, Donnarumma and Messi is some going. While accepting that they are all on huge wages, that must be close to 200 million worth. 

Barca got Aguero, Depay and Eric Garcia on free transfers. We agree that it's not as spectacular as PSG's summer but I'd dare say it's still pretty good.

There's so much mixed information it's hard to know anything Barca-related any more but from what I understand, everyone but Messi has been registered.

Aguero is supposedly very unhappy with Messi leaving since the whole point of him going to Barcelona was to play with Messi, so I guess he'd be very open to leaving.

I don't know if Aguero, Garcia, Depay and Emerson have actually been registered yet. I don't think they have. Laporta said in his press conference that the club will be able to register them but he also previously said that they will be able to register Messi too. There's been some reports saying that Barca still need between €128m and €144m in capital gains and wage savings in order to register those four players.

13 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Reminds me of Real Madrid a few years ago using Cheryshev when he was suspended in the Copa del Rey and the fans of other team chanting his name and celebrating when he scored a goal because they, and everyone else but Real knew what would happen.

Wasn't the first time in German football something like that happens.

In the old days, using too many foreign (Schäfer at Karlsruhe) players, too many (four) non-EU players (Rehhagel at Kaiserslautern) on the field at the same time (after a half time sub), and too many amateurs/junior players (Trapatoni at Bayern).

KSC was kinda funny, with the stadium announcer telling Schäfer to "count his foreigners".

The Trapatoni one was the most understandable/forgiveable. That happened during his first Bayern stay. There was no such rule in Italy, and him just having moved to Germany, you could at least have some sympathy for him. Random bit of of trivia for the Liverpool fans. One of the junior players, who had not signed at pro contract at the time, was Didi Hamann (the others were probably Frey and Nerlinger).

The Kaiserslautern one was really funny. Not just because Rehhagel is such narcissitic ubercunt and my dislike for FC Taxpayers Money. When one of his assistants informed him, he went into some thinking. He then told one of his non-EU players to feign an injury so he could sub him (which of course didn't make any difference), so Egyptian International Hany Ramzy did as ordered. And you could see him and Ballack on the bench laughing their asses off. Bundesliga Legend

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Aguero is out for 10 weeks with an injury anyway, as per usual, so it's not like it'll make much difference if he's registered or not.

I don't know how the whole registration works. Is there some deadline by when you need to register players or you can do it at any point during the season?

19 minutes ago, baxus said:

I don't know how the whole registration works. Is there some deadline by when you need to register players or you can do it at any point during the season?

There is a deadline. A provisional 25-man squad list has to be submitted to the league by a certain time (12 noon in the premier league) on the last working day before the club's first league game. After that changes can be made to the squad list until the final registration deadline (a day after the transfer windows closes). After that clubs have to wait until the January transfer window opens to register players. It's the same with UEFA for clubs competing in European competitions.

Archived