Football: A Tale of Two Finals

Corvinus85

8 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

He participated in the teams that lost those finals.

Man City will win trophies with or without him.

He also arguably contributed to their loss. Spurs have an over reliance on him, rush him back before he’s fit and then are disappointed when he doesn’t perform in finals.

He was also missing for most of the matches he played for England in the Euros.. which I’m not going to forget 

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So Kane has decided to use the nuclear option?

I am inclined to believe, that there was a gentleman's agreement between him and Levy (just like there had been between Modric and Levy before). Just that Levy is not exactly a gentleman. I also didn't expect Kane to escalate things, but if you assume there was indeed an agreement between him and Levy, you can kinda see where he is coming from. But then again, he signed a contract, now he should honour it.

I'm more sceptical. Either there was a 'gentleman's agreement', in which case Kane's agent screwed up massively - they failed to negotiate a binding exit clause and instead relied on an unwritten understanding in the full knowledge that Spurs had reneged on those with other high profile players previously. Or, much more likely, there was some ambiguous chat that is now being stretched into a 'gentleman's agreement' for PR purposes. Something like Kane/Kane's team discussing his desire to win trophies and Levy saying that he totally understood that desire. Either way, 'gentleman's agreements' are a nonsense PR tactic and nothing more. 

4 hours ago, mormont said:

I'm more sceptical. Either there was a 'gentleman's agreement', in which case Kane's agent screwed up massively - they failed to negotiate a binding exit clause and instead relied on an unwritten understanding in the full knowledge that Spurs had reneged on those with other high profile players previously. Or, much more likely, there was some ambiguous chat that is now being stretched into a 'gentleman's agreement' for PR purposes. Something like Kane/Kane's team discussing his desire to win trophies and Levy saying that he totally understood that desire. Either way, 'gentleman's agreements' are a nonsense PR tactic and nothing more. 

I'd be inclined to believe that Levy did say Kane could leave if they didn't win anything. It's the only reason he appointed Mourinho. By the end of his reign, Kane was the only Spurs player prepared to put up with Mou's bullshit.  

Regardless, this is fucking hilarious.

Looks like Kane is attempting some kind of climbdown.

We are now expected to believe he is simply isolating after returning from his holidonks in the Bahamas.

We are expected to believe that his intention was never to go on strike, and he will report for duty in a few days.

Typical fucking Spurs. Best striker in the world, my arse. Can't even do a strike properly.

8 hours ago, mormont said:

If you are implying that Kane's brother wasn't able, then you are very likely correct.

On the existence of the Gentleman's Agreement, we'll probably not agree. I am inclined to believe it did exist, you think it didn't. Since this is Kane said, Levy said, territory, we'll never know for certain. I think it did based on how Levy/Spurs acted towards their former star players like Modric. City made an offer of 100m Pounds (don't have the pound sign on my keyboard and I am too lazy to copy and paste it from elsewhere), which Kane thought would get him out of his self-chosen purgatory at Spurs. Objectively I think 100m is good money for Kane and would allow Spurs to strengthen the squad on 1-2 other positions; Levy disagreed. Either way, putting his name under a six year contract at Spurs was not a particularly smart move. Now he is stuck there. He can thank his agent/brother for that.

The agreement exists. If not, why on earth would Kane feel empowered to tell Gary Neville that it was entirely up to him what happened this summer? 

That Levy is a slippery, untrustworthy character is beyond dispute. He's done this three or four times, no? 

Kane's agent/brother is a moron  - Levy has backtracked before with Bale, Modric and Berbatov. Trusting to a gentleman's agreement was amateurish. Kane should have gotten himself a real agent or one of the super agents to act as a consultant when he was negotiating his last contract. You can bet that agents like Mendes, Raiola or Barnett would have gotten an exit clause put into his contract and not just banked on Levy's word.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

The agreement exists. If not, why on earth would Kane feel empowered to tell Gary Neville that it was entirely up to him what happened this summer?

Because Kane believed it existed, perhaps.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I think it did based on how Levy/Spurs acted towards their former star players like Modric.

I think it didn't, for the same reason! Levy would need balls of brass to try that on again and Kane's agent would need to be astonishingly naive. To be fair, the evidence for the latter is good - remember that wedding leak?

But what I think is the most likely explanation is that there was something that Kane/his agent believed was an informal agreement but which was actually just ambiguous chat, and Kane is now in desperation relying on it to amateurishly try to force a move. Possibly Kane said that if Spurs didn't win something he'd want to move and Levy nodded, or they agreed that he could move but didn't put a timescale on it, or one of a hundred other exchanges where Kane might have believed/wanted to believe he'd be treated in a way that Levy can genuinely say he never explicitly agreed to.

13 hours ago, mormont said:

I think it didn't, for the same reason! Levy would need balls of brass to try that on again and Kane's agent would need to be astonishingly naive. To be fair, the evidence for the latter is good - remember that wedding leak?

Kane's agent is his brother so, you know, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that he's actually shit at his job.

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Kane's agent is his brother so, you know, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that he's actually shit at his job.

Wonder if he takes a smaller cut since he his not qualified and clearly shit at his job.

Looks like Lukaku is going to be heading to Chelsea. Reports that he has told Inter that he wants to leave and Chelsea are expected to come in with an improved offer in excess of £100m.

Di Marzio reported that should Lukaku be sold, Inter will look at Duvan Zapata or Joaquin Correa as replacements. Also reported that should Zapata join Inter then Atalanta will attempt to sign Tammy Abraham.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Looks like Lukaku is going to be heading to Chelsea. Reports that he has told Inter that he wants to leave and Chelsea are expected to come in with an improved offer in excess of £100m.

Di Marzio reported that should Lukaku be sold, Inter will look at Duvan Zapata or Joaquin Correa as replacements. Also reported that should Zapata join Inter then Atalanta will attempt to sign Tammy Abraham.

Man United takes 5% of the transfer fee, I have read. 

It'll be around 130 million that were reported a week ago I think. 

Archived