Jump to content

Random Thoughts About ASOIAF


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

@SeanF You’re pretty knowledgeable about this stuff. Do you see any potential parallels between Sansa and Anne of France?

I don’t know much about Anne, who seems not much written about, for someone so important.

I don’t know what Sansa’s endgame will be, either.  I think much turns on what part (if any) she plays in Sweetrobin’s death and Littlefinger’s downfall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Aegon III hated the nobles for their scheming and treachery, but I think it’s noteworthy that he didn’t hate the smallfolk for the role they played in the storming of the dragonpit and forcing Rhaenyra to flee King’s Landing. Even at a young age, he seemed able to make the connection between poor rulership and revolts. I wonder if perhaps Tyland also imparted some of this wisdom on him as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2022 at 12:20 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

In retrospect, I think either house Greyjoy or Baratheon should have had different house colors to differentiate them better, and so each of the Great Houses had their own unique look. Maybe black and silver for the Greyjoys, or black and orange for the Baratheons.

I think it's fine as is.

The Baratheons are black-on-yellow whereas the Greyjoys are gold-on-black. I do think that the Greyjoys would've been better with a dark blue for the seas. But giving the Baratheons orange would've made it harder for a lot of readers to distinguish them from the Martells...especially since the Baratheon lands and the Martell lands are right next to each other.

People already have enough of a hard time with the concept that the Dornish Marches are not Dorne.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:52 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Well, there are some hints,clues, leads whatever about Jon's Targaryen name possibly being Aemon. For starters, he can't be Aegon since Rhaegar already had an Aegon as a son. We also know how he had developed a penpal quillpal relationship with Maester Aemon and that he revered him. Now to my random thought, Jon, who is in truth(to my belief of course) Aemon will, when lords come and try to install him to the throne will pass it off in favor of his brother just like his several times great uncle Aemon did. Which throne and which brother? Most likely Winterfell and Rickon.

On 9/21/2022 at 1:28 PM, Craving Peaches said:

There's also the bit where Jon cries, "I'm Aemon the Dragonknight!".

I agree.

There's also the part where the firstborn daughter of arguably the greatest Targaryen king -- Jaehaerys I -- is called Daenerys and how Jaehaerys intended for her to marry and rule alongside her younger brother, Aemon, the king's eldest living son.

Things didn't work out well between the first Daenerys and the first Aemon but...what about the next set? History doesn't always repeat itself, but it definitely rhymes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

It's kinda funny how it's almost a routine that Targaryen princes are promising ,yet, they suck as kings . Aerys II , Aegon IV , Aegon V , Daeron I and Baelor were all alright . Aerys and Aegon's biggest flaws were sleeping around , while Egg , Daeron and Baelor were all nearly perfect . though in the end, they all pulled some sort of madness! Rhaegar could easily be in the same category and if GoT's ending is anything inspired by George's version ,so will Dany's . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 10:21 AM, EggBlue said:

It's kinda funny how it's almost a routine that Targaryen princes are promising ,yet, they suck as kings . Aerys II , Aegon IV , Aegon V , Daeron I and Baelor were all alright . Aerys and Aegon's biggest flaws were sleeping around , while Egg , Daeron and Baelor were all nearly perfect . though in the end, they all pulled some sort of madness! Rhaegar could easily be in the same category and if GoT's ending is anything inspired by George's version ,so will Dany's . 

The reverse is true too. In no world were Jaehaerys I (a third-born son), Viserys II (fifth-born son), or Maekar (fourth-born son) supposed to ascend the throne, but they all did well once they did. George seems to like these tropes.

At the same time, I don’t know if we’re supposed to see Aegon V as a bad king. He’s never referred to as one, unlike the other kings you mentioned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knowing the story of the Black Brides, I’m genuinely confused as to why Henry VIII, after Jane Seymour’s death, didn’t seek out a young widow who had already given birth to a son before. Obviously it doesn’t guarantee any future sons (especially considering Henry’s own health problems) but it seems like it would be common sense from a sixteenth-century perspective. Did any other kings ever deliberately marry a widow for this reason?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The reverse is true too. In no world were Jaehaerys I (a third-born son), Viserys II (fifth-born son), or Maekar (fourth-born son) supposed to ascend the throne, but they all did well once they did. George seems to like these tropes.

At the same time, I don’t know if we’re supposed to see Aegon V as a bad king. He’s never referred to as one, unlike the other kings you mentioned.

I like Egg and the idea of his reforms.  however, while he wasn't as bad as Aerys and AegonlV,  he might have been as bad of a king as Daeronl and Baelor. his reforms supposedly would've only benefited the commoners,  but even the smallfolk wouldn't remember him as a good king because his plans never happened.  then he pissed more nobles by the marrage aliances fiascos that ended with a pointless civil war that would've likely ended in more resentment from nobles AND snalllfolk,  all the while with the threat of another Blackfyre rebelion looming over the kingdom.  and finally he supposedly got obsessed with the idea of dragons and killed most of his families and a bunch of other people. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I like Egg and the idea of his reforms.

I'm honestly curious as to what those reforms were. Ideas, anyone?

18 hours ago, EggBlue said:

then he pissed more nobles by the marrage aliances fiascos that ended with a pointless civil war that would've likely ended in more resentment from nobles AND snalllfolk,

He should've just made Daeron the heir, IMO. All the sons were idiots, but he seems like the best, and with Olenna by his side, he would've been fine. 

And on another tangent, completely unrelated. 

@The Bard of Banefort, I've come to register a complaint for a thread with TWENTY SEVEN pages, while my lily-white threads were locked at 20-21. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds like Egg changed the law allowing a noble to cut off the hand of someone who struck them, since Jaime mentioned that Cersei wanted to bring it back after Arya’s fight with Joffrey by the Trident. He probably also enacted a law against forcing untrained peasants to engage in combat, since that was a big concern of his in The Sworn Sword.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I'm honestly curious as to what those reforms were. Ideas, anyone?

He should've just made Daeron the heir, IMO. All the sons were idiots, but he seems like the best, and with Olenna by his side, he would've been fine. 

And on another tangent, completely unrelated. 

@The Bard of Banefort, I've come to register a complaint for a thread with TWENTY SEVEN pages, while my lily-white threads were locked at 20-21. 

but Daeron also ditched his betrothal. however , since his lover was a guy, he didn't get to marry him or end up in bard songs and history books.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2022 at 10:06 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Knowing the story of the Black Brides, I’m genuinely confused as to why Henry VIII, after Jane Seymour’s death, didn’t seek out a young widow who had already given birth to a son before. Obviously it doesn’t guarantee any future sons (especially considering Henry’s own health problems) but it seems like it would be common sense from a sixteenth-century perspective. Did any other kings ever deliberately marry a widow for this reason?

probably not, any widow still available at a young age would have been viewed with great suspicion by the royal court unless they knew exactly how her husband died

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2022 at 4:19 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

It sounds like Egg changed the law allowing a noble to cut off the hand of someone who struck them, since Jaime mentioned that Cersei wanted to bring it back after Arya’s fight with Joffrey by the Trident. He probably also enacted a law against forcing untrained peasants to engage in combat, since that was a big concern of his in The Sworn Sword.

So what do nobles do instead then ? Cut off feet ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...