The Kithamar Trilogy by Daniel Abraham

Werthead

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

“Far Syramis isn’t far if you are there” :) And it’s the other continent. Kind of like how mysterious Asia or the Americas were to Europe just a few hundred years ago. 

I thought of the multiple races and your exact same first paragraph, too, and yes, looked at the last few chapters in TDatC and my first sentence, above, is a paraphrase, not a quote. But not outside the realm of possibility, one would think?

I imagine DA might be doing something similar to GGK in that there’s always the mention of - was it Fionavar? Aka Finavir, etc.

My eyes will be peeled for references when I get my hands on the next one :wideeyed: (I can't believe I didn't catch the actor/spider reference! I should get my act together for a reread)

On 2/13/2023 at 8:25 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

“Far Syramis isn’t far if you are there” :) And it’s the other continent. Kind of like how mysterious Asia or the Americas were to Europe just a few hundred years ago. 

I thought of the multiple races and your exact same first paragraph, too, and yes, looked at the last few chapters in TDatC and my first sentence, above, is a paraphrase, not a quote. But not outside the realm of possibility, one would think?

I imagine DA might be doing something similar to GGK in that there’s always the mention of - was it Fionavar? Aka Finavir, etc.

Wouldn’t they have legends of Dragons too?  The Dragonlords fly… couldn’t they reach Far Syramis?

11 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Sometimes, the mystery is best. It will all likely be revealed - either it’s different continent, or a different world with a nod to TDatC on the “actor with a spider on his hand,” or it’s entirely a coincidence.

Three possibilities, and we will just have to Read And Find Out. 

Oh, I know.  Regardless its fun to try. ;) 

• 5 months later...

I finished Blade of Dreams over the weekend.  I enjoyed it.  Getting the “off screen” stuff from Age of Ash was rather cool.  Having the mustache twirling villan for this book fleshed out and made human in the prior book was interesting.  I enjoyed the love stories.

It was fun.

I’m dying to know who our POVs will be in the final book… Kint and Karsen?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

46 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I finished Blade of Dreams over the weekend.  I enjoyed it.  Getting the “off screen” stuff from Age of Ash was rather cool.  Having the mustache twirling villan for this book fleshed out and made human in the prior book was interesting.  I enjoyed the love stories.

It was fun.

Whoa!!!  This is out already?!!!?

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It was fun.

I just re-read Age of Ash and am through the first couple chapters of Blade of Dream, and I am pondering the identity of the bearded man with he red stone in the intro.

Speculation...

Spoiler

At first it thought it was Tregarro, assuming he stole the game piece from Kithamar-as-Andomaka at the end, but we already had him as a POV character in book one, and if the format follows with Alys being the main character in book 1 in the slummiest neighborhood, and Garreth is the main character in a middling wealthy neighborhood in book 2, then the man with the bead in the intro should someone we haven't had a POV from yet and someone from the noble neighborhood. My guess? Byrn a Sal. He didn't die! And Karsen gave him the bead from his interaction with Kithamar-as-Andomaka at the end of book 1. 

Why he'd fake his own death and leave the city, I don't know. But am interested to find out, if I'm right

My copy is late, Bezos has issues with shipping out to West Bumhole. I do have a few (hundred) in the TBR list. But I look forward to reading it slowly, enjoying all the morsels. 

Wad this always going to be a trilogy though..

Anyways I finished Blade of Dreams and loved it, the initial preview of the book left me a little underwhelmed, I wanted further adventures of Alys and Sam, but say one thing about Daniel Abraham.. 

This was great and gripping, it felt a little short as if  Dan was leaving material out for this new to me third installment, the story from a different perspective actually worked, and I look forward to the final act...

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Yes

Ok

Next question

Spoiler tag not working.. proceed with caution..

<spoiler>What's the best guess as to who Halev Karsen is.. has to be either Lord Kauth or the God Shau.. he is clearly opposed to the thread of Kithmar and not human.

Lord Kauth said he was in the City</spoiler>

Edited by shortstark

Just found this thread and practically jumping for joy at another DA trilogy.  Finding out about this when two books have already been released is heavenly.

Long Price Quartet, though, will always be on my short list of books to re-read endlessly along with Jane Austen, Dickens, and very few others.

12 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Long Price Quartet, though, will always be on my short list of books to re-read endlessly along with Jane Austen, Dickens, and very few others.

Do you know why the Tor omnibus of The Long Price Quartet was discontinued? One day it's available, and then...poof! Discontinued! 

8 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Do you know why the Tor omnibus of The Long Price Quartet was discontinued? One day it's available, and then...poof! Discontinued! 

No idea.  

In the meantime, I'm holding onto my paperbacks like the gold they are.  The story is simply exquisite.

Finished out my Shadows of the Apt book (next up is War Master's Gate... so I'm almost at the end!) and then took a short detour to hammer through the new DragonLance.

Now I need to go back to the first couple pages of this thread to refresh my memory a bit on Age of Ash so I can kick off BoD.