UK Politics: Cost of Living Crisis

Raja

13 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I gave blood for the first time in about 3 years on Thursday. Going by the questions I had to answer it seems like they’ve changed the rules so gay men can give blood, which I’d missed. So that’s some good news.

Yes I think it was last year sometime, the questions are now more about whether you have had more than one sexual partner over the last three months I think?

Long overdue but glad it was changed

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm not sure they have thought this through at all. It just makes him sound like a slobbering, lecherous creepy old man. 

It's a crass, awful line to take at the best of times but if possible, it looks even worse the day this news was released:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/apr/23/three-cabinet-ministers-reportedly-facing-allegations-of-sexual-misconduct

Three cabinet ministers are among more than 50 MPs reportedly facing allegations of sexual misconduct after being referred to a parliamentary watchdog.

A total of 56 MPs – including two shadow cabinet ministers – have been reported to the Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme (ICGS), according to the Sunday Times.

And yet someone thought that they'd double down on the culture that enables this abuse.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm not sure they have thought this through at all. It just makes him sound like a slobbering, lecherous creepy old man. 

They don't realise this because they themselves are slobbering lecherous creepy old men.

This fucking guy...

MP convicted of sexually molesting boy, 15, fails to keep his promise to resign

An MP found guilty of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy is being urged by local Tories to fulfil his promise to stand down, after it emerged that he has still not formally resigned from his Westminster seat.

The family of Imran Ahmad Khan – who was expelled from the Tory party after his conviction earlier this month – have also been asked to intervene to ensure he goes through with his promise to stand down in the Wakefield seat which he won from Labour at the last election.

Khan stated this month that he was planning to resign. He said his intention to appeal against his conviction had led him to “regrettably come to the conclusion that it is intolerable for constituents to go years without an MP who can amplify their voices in parliament”.

MPs who want to resign have to write to the Treasury to begin the process. A date for a byelection can then be set. However, it is understood that no such letter has yet been received. Khan’s office did not respond to inquiries about when he would submit his resignation.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

In the interests of equal opportunities objectification, here is an article detailing the sexiest MPs, male and female, from 2018.

As far as the men are concerned, all I can say is, I don't fancy yours much.

Thank God, the UK's Sexiest Politicians List is Here

Who on earthy would find Boris Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn, or John Bercow sexy?

I suppose Blackadder has the answer.  Someone who was "blind, desperate, and hadn't had it in months."

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

In the interests of equal opportunities objectification, here is an article detailing the sexiest MPs, male and female, from 2018.

Although - genuine question - is this list serious?  The sample sounds...odd:

All of this is according to a survey of 3,000 adulterers who use IllicitEncounters.com. I can't find a demographic breakdown of the user-base, but it's fair to assume it's frequented by people in their fifties who can't be arsed to learn how to communicate this late in life, and therefore opt to rescue their marriage via a series of illicit dry handjobs. It is for this reason that I'm not sure they can be trusted, and also why I decided to pore over the list and argue the cases for and against those involved.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

"She knows she can't compete with Boris's Oxford Union debating training, but she has other skills which he lacks"

I actually find the delusion that Boris can debate almost as offensive as the comment. 

With no offence intended to any debaters among us, in any case the idea that University debate experience in some way reflects a skill useful in real world politics is akin to saying that you're handy in a fight because you were on the Uni épée team.

Archived