UK Politics- P0rn, Horn and Local Elections

polishgenius

I know it's shocking to some -- many believe that rules and punishments apply to everyone and not just those you are politically aligned with. One wonders why those on the Right-wing consistently struggle with that concept. Maybe something in their ideology or values (or lack thereof).

4 minutes ago, Week said:

I know it's shocking to some -- many believe that rules and punishments apply to everyone and not just those you are politically aligned with. One wonders why those on the Right-wing consistently struggle with that concept. Maybe something in their ideology or values (or lack thereof).

Completely agree. Which is why Starmer and Rayner should be punished right?

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Completely agree. Which is why Starmer and Rayner should be punished right?

If they've been found to have broken rules by police or other oversight body then very obviously yes. Which is what I said and apparently needed to repeat. What is your confusion that you would need to even ask that question? (Sounded like an 'arf arf' mostly, to be frank)

Innuendo, misogynist attacks by right-wing rags, etc. typically don't rise to the level of worth caring about or responding to. Or maybe you now believe that unsubstantiated rumor and 'cancel culture' mobs are valid when directed at those you disagree with.

The point is, you are agreeing with me. Starmer should be investigated and punished for breaking Covid rules , he shouldn’t be let off because he’s not ‘Tory scum’. 

7 minutes ago, Week said:

Innuendo, misogynist attacks by right-wing rags, etc. typically don't rise to the level of worth caring about or responding to. Or maybe you now believe that unsubstantiated rumor and 'cancel culture' mobs are valid when directed at those you disagree with.

Is this in relation to anything in particular or are you just ranting?

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The point is, you are agreeing with me. Starmer should be investigated and punished for breaking Covid rules , he shouldn’t be let off because he’s not ‘Tory scum’. 

Punished if found to have broken covid rules. 

I'm a little lost by the discussion here, but lest there be any doubt:

- It's not OK to personally insult other users. (Public figures are another story. I doubt we could have a politics thread at all if that were the rule!)

- HoI has not used any personally insulting language, as I would define it, in this thread.

Also, I believe the event referred to was investigated by Durham Police already and they have confirmed that it was not a breach.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’ll also point out you’ve just fallen into the classic trap of raising awareness of Starmer’s rule breaking by posting the story twice.

Have to wonder why people keep falling for this simple trick

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Is this in relation to anything in particular or are you just ranting?

To your first point, I'll repeat a third time it is not in question that the rules and punishments apply to everyone where breaches/rule-breaking are confirmed by police or other oversight. Where we disagree is that you are suggesting punishment without any conviction -- simply on the 'word' of right-wing propaganda and rumors (the latter you view very differently if you disagree with the alleged violator). The 'ranting' is pointed towards your affinity for repeating claims sourced from known liars and propagandists both initially and long after the story has been shown to be false. Example, the story, language, and insistent repetition of misogynistic smears "#gg". Anyone that has, regrettably, looked at this will note that HoI's interest in this story is *solely* joined by the worst of right-wing transphobes and other reactionaries https://www.mediamatters.org/daily-mail

'Ranting' used previously as a response is shorthand for "I have no defense"

1 hour ago, Week said:

To your first point, I'll repeat a third time it is not in question that the rules and punishments apply to everyone where breaches/rule-breaking are confirmed by police or other oversight. Where we disagree is that you are suggesting punishment without any conviction

Did you purposely ignore the bit where I said ‘investigated’? 
Durham police did do a cursory investigation and concluded there was no breach, but are currently looking into whether they should reopen the case as there have been a number of inconsistencies and new evidence since then, and it does look like there is a good case rules have in fact been broken.

The second bit of your post is simply ranting I’m afraid. All you are saying is that I am talking about a story that is also being talked about in the daily Mail. Unfortunately that doesn’t make of any less of a story, as shit as that paper is. 

Any ‘ misogynistic smears’ are made by Angela Rayner herself. Ginger Growler is her own term. The real issue is that she weaponised the article to promote herself as some hero against misogyny , but it doesn’t really work if she actually said those things and the story is simply reporting what she said. My interest is in her hypocrisy and that I’m sure nobody would have bothered to talk about it here because she’s not ‘Tory scum’

Someone using a term in reference to themselves does not make it fair game to weaponize as an attack or simply for everyone to use. A term that racial, ethnic, gender, or other minorities use interference to themselves, their culture, etc. is likely, particularly if crass or reclaiming a slur, very inappropriate for me to use. Or, rather, for you to use in this particular instance that you struggle to understand -- either intentionally or the confusion that you quite often express literally or with reactions -- on this board.

I know your interest is hypocrisy and ethics in gaming journalism, we got it. We're all very clear on it.

Eta-- I'll also note that you only mentioned investigating with respect to punishment after I already did. So, no cookie for you there 

Just now, Week said:

Someone using a term in reference to themselves does not make it fair game to weaponize as an attack or simply for everyone to use. A term that racial, ethnic, gender, or other minorities use interference to themselves, their culture, etc. is likely, particularly if crass or reclaiming a slur, very inappropriate for me to use. Or, rather, for you to use in this particular instance that you struggle to understand -- either intentionally or the confusion that you quite often express literally or with reactions -- on this board.

I know your interest is hypocrisy and ethics in gaming journalism, we got it. We're all very clear on it.

Sorry that is garbage. Don’t try and conflate Ginger Growler with other terms. God I’m embarrassed for you for saying that. A new low.

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Sorry that is garbage. Don’t try and conflate Ginger Growler with other terms. God I’m embarrassed for you for saying that. A new low.

It's a spectrum -- you can use any term you want if you are willing to deal with the consequences and judgment for doing so. As a misogynist, or simply someone unconcerned with trafficking in misogynist language and crusades, you've made your stance clear. Up to you to adjust your thinking and language if that does not align to how you view yourself.

This thread is about UK politics, allegedly, but every time there are reports it seems people are just talking about one another instead.

Take it to private messages and get back to actually talking about the ostensible subject of the thread, please.

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this Guardian article 

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/04/police-have-photo-of-boris-johnson-with-beer-at-lockdown-party-say-reports

That photo doesn’t appear to be the photo described in the headline. I’m trying to find out when there was collective outrage about the Guardian’s deceptive tactics.. did I miss it?

One can be read with a grain of salt (as most sources should be) and one should not be read at all (other than perhaps for research on how propaganda and misinformation is spread).

The Guardian (https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-guardian/)

Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY

The Daily Mail (https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-mail/)

Questionable Reasoning: Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Some Fake News, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW

Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY

Archived