UK Politics - You Must Be Furious

Which Tyler

2 minutes ago, Hereward said:

The single market was to a significant degree Thatcher’s idea.

Yes. But she also was not a fan of what the EU became. Why would she want to rejoin the single market if you still had to take rules from a "European super-state exercising a new dominance from Brussels.""

Well, if we restrict ourselves to what she actually did and said, she campaigned to remain, urged, and then celebrated, the creation of the Single Market, and supported the expansion of the EU to water down French and German influence. Seems odd to dragoon her into the opposite camp, post mortem.

It’s a pointless argument anyway, but I doubt there are many Tories who would, when push comes to shove, and faced with the appalling, incompetent cabal of Leavers, refuse to countenance a leader who voted Remain out of fear they would seek readmittance, as if the EU would be insane enough to have us back.

31 minutes ago, Hereward said:

The single market was to a significant degree Thatcher’s idea.

Regardless of where you stand politically, who gives a shit about a controversial leader's positions who hasn't held office in four decades? Thatcher's beliefs don't matter anymore nor are they a good lens to view current Tories behavior through.  

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Regardless of where you stand politically, who gives a shit about a controversial leader's positions who hasn't held office in four decades? Thatcher's beliefs don't matter anymore nor are they a good lens to view current Tories behavior through

Thatcher is still a deified figure in many Tory circles here. Possibly partly because Tories tend to be on the older side.

Perhaps a bit like Reagan over there? (Not sure how much you lot remember him now.)

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Regardless of where you stand politically, who gives a shit about a controversial leader's positions who hasn't held office in four decades? Thatcher's beliefs don't matter anymore nor are they a good lens to view current Tories behavior through.  

The electorate of the new prime minister does. She remains the most popular PM of their lifetime. If I were a Remain voting candidate, I’d be mad not to point out the crossover in opinions, particularly as rejoining the EU is an impossibility.

24 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Thatcher is still a deified figure in many Tory circles here. Possibly partly because Tories tend to be on the older side.

Perhaps a bit like Reagan over there? (Not sure how much you lot remember him now.)

25 minutes ago, Hereward said:

The electorate of the new prime minister does. She remains the most popular PM of their lifetime. If I were a Remain voting candidate, I’d be mad not to point out the crossover in opinions, particularly as rejoining the EU is an impossibility.

Reagan's Republican party is dead now. And so is Thatcher's vision from my understanding, even if UK conservatives still view her fondly. Bojo's government would horrify her. 

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Reagan's Republican party is dead now. And so is Thatcher's vision from my understanding, even if UK conservatives still view her fondly. Bojo's government would horrify her. 

I’m sure it would. But that’s not really relevant to my original point to Heartofice, which was, jokingly, that I’m not so sure that Johnson would be saved by Tories being horrified at the prospect of a Remainer in office. First, because it would be easy to point out the crossover with the revered Maggie’s position, and secondly because that ship has sailed. There’s a distinct difference between electing a Remainer before Brexit had happened and electing one when it’s done and can’t be undone.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

I would have predicted that Johnson would win, but better informed friends are predicting he'll lose. And if he loses, he'll lose big. Tory MPs are gossipy people and if it becomes clear that Johnson is going to lose, his supporters will disappear in an instant. Except for the hard core like Fabricant and Dorries.

My prediction is he will win narrowly (52-48, anyone?)

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nope, he's toast.

Especially when he told his MP's "I'd do the same again", when one brought up Sue Gray's report.  I think he'll be out by 20 or so votes.

I really hope he wins, narrowly. Because as well as him being fucked, his whole party will be too... And then they will haveno choice but limp along for another year or two before getting rightly fucking eviscerated at the polls.

The twat might even call a snap. Which would be brilliant for everyone but the Tories. 

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

Especially when he told his MP's "I'd do the same again", when one brought up Sue Gray's report.  I think he'll be out by 20 or so votes.

But now my friend, the end is near, I face my final curtain. One final drink, ordered in terms of which I'm certain.

15 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I really hope he wins, narrowly. Because as well as him being fucked, his whole party will be too... And then they will haveno choice but limp along for another year or two before getting rightly fucking eviscerated at the polls.

The twat might even call a snap. Which would be brilliant for everyone but the Tories. 

If he wins very narrowly, he’ll be out within weeks.  He would have no grounds to seek a dissolution.

18 minutes ago, SeanF said:

If he wins very narrowly, he’ll be out within weeks.  He would have no grounds to seek a dissolution.

Under the Fixed Term Parliament Act, he doesn't need grounds, just two thirds of the House.

If he goes mental and actually calls an election, it will be happening. Sir Keir certainly won't turn down his request. 

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not sure about procedure in the house of commons, can the opposition call a vote of no confidence in parliament?

I assume they can call any vote they like, but its unlikely to pass

Archived