MCU Multi-thread of Marvels

SpaceChampion

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Dr. Doom?

That would be a phenomenal role for him.  And a testament to how good he's been in The Boys.

Magneto could be another one if they opt to go with younger X-Men.

Thought the finale was a triumph, although it did change tone to suddenly feel more like an MCU Goonies. Loved the spider-man esque scene where she’s running through the sky above the delighted citizens. That said, punching a hole in the ground and saying “There you go, get to the port” was kind of a nonsensical way to finish.

Not sure about the mutant thing, so Kamala’s got multiverse blood and a mutation? Does one cause the other? Are all the mutants going to be from other universe bloodlines? Seems like overkill.

On the final credit scene, my wife’s reaction - “why was that blond lady hiding in her closet?”

5 hours ago, john said:

That said, punching a hole in the ground and saying “There you go, get to the port” was kind of a nonsensical way to finish.

I was thinking she could have made some sort of Dark Light drill, and had plenty of time to use it if she maintained the dome.  Or he could have made the drill while she held the dome.

15 hours ago, JGP said:

Rumor mill turning on Anthony’s Starr maybe having picked up a big MCU villain role.

The rumour was him playing Dracula in Blade, and then debunked soon after, probably by the same site that started the rumour. 

I wound up clicking on an obvious clickbait title that said "Marvel's worst film is set to receive a sequel."

It was about reports that Eternals 2 has been greenlit.  All fine and good.  Then I hit this paragraph:

Eternals was released in theaters in November 2021, but has gone on to become the worst-rated MCU movie so far. Currently, the Marvel Phase 4 project holds a 47% "rotten" rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, putting it dead last in Rotten Tomatoes' own MCU film ranking list. Meanwhile, Eternals has an audience rating of 6.3 out of 10 on IMDb.com – only Ms Marvel, the latest Marvel Disney Plus show, has a poorer IMDB rating (6.2) then Eternals among the MCU's various movie and TV offerings.

"Only Ms Marvel... has a poorer IMDB rating than Eternals."

:stunned: 

I know that our little corner of the web is a bit different than the masses, but this genuinely surprised me.

42 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I wound up clicking on an obvious clickbait title that said "Marvel's worst film is set to receive a sequel."

It was about reports that Eternals 2 has been greenlit.  All fine and good.  Then I hit this paragraph:

"Only Ms Marvel... has a poorer IMDB rating than Eternals."

:stunned: 

I know that our little corner of the web is a bit different than the masses, but this genuinely surprised me.

There was an article after Ms. Marvel's 1st episode that mentioned that the show was review-bombed on imdb with 1/10 scores. So yeah, the imdb rating should be considered irrelevant. 

8 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It's baffling because these amounts are peanuts to Disney. The creators should be getting paid a fortune, much more than the amounts discussed, yet Disney are bilking them out of money that probably doesn't cover the craft services bill on one day of shooting.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

It's baffling because these amounts are peanuts to Disney. The creators should be getting paid a fortune, much more than the amounts discussed, yet Disney are bilking them out of money that probably doesn't cover the craft services bill on one day of shooting.

I was thinking the same thing.

What's particularly infuriating is the reported definition of a "cameo". By that definition, every character in Avengers: Endgame with less than 27m 18s of screen time is a cameo.  The only characters that qualify as "not a cameo" are Captain America and Iron Man.

Brutal. 

8 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I was thinking the same thing.

What's particularly infuriating is the reported definition of a "cameo". By that definition, every character in Avengers: Endgame with less than 27m 18s of screen time is a cameo.  The only characters that qualify as "not a cameo" are Captain America and Iron Man.

Brutal. 

Sure, but they still can negotiate that.  Highest paid cameo ever was Marlon Brando in Superman: The Movie for less than 10 minutes, for which he got $3.7 million + a % of the proceeds, reportedly adding up to a total of $19 million.

37 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Sure, but they still can negotiate that.  Highest paid cameo ever was Marlon Brando in Superman: The Movie for less than 10 minutes, for which he got $3.7 million + a % of the proceeds, reportedly adding up to a total of $19 million.

Brando. What a legend.

This doesn't involve the actors; this is about the creators of the IP, who have a history of getting screwed when it comes to CBM's. Also note that, according to the reported definition, Avengers: Endgame literally had two co-stars and zero supporting actors; with all the other roles being cameos. That makes no sense.  

The definition of "cameo" is clearly loose, but I wouldn't define Brando's role in Superman as a cameo. He's the central figure in the films prologue, which goes on for about 15-20 minutes, and he makes subsequent appearances and he does voiceover. He's literally the first character you see and the film starts with about 2 minutes of dialogue from him. The movie doesn't work without him.

I always thought a cameo involved a character who shows up for maybe one or two scenes and wasn't really integral to the plot. Take that character out and the movie largely works. Stan Lee and Bruce Campbell's appearances in Marvel films are perfect examples. Val Kilmer in TG:M and Martin Scorsese in Taxi Driver would be others, though that's where I'd draw the line. That's just me. 

But Hulk in Avengers Endgame? A recurring character with dialogue who's absolutely central to the plot?  Not a cameo.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Brando. What a legend.

This doesn't involve the actors; this is about the creators of the IP, who have a history of getting screwed when it comes to CBM's. Also note that, according to the reported definition, Avengers: Endgame literally had two co-stars and zero supporting actors; with all the other roles being cameos. That makes no sense.  

I don't know what you're arguing about.  You're the one who went on a tangent about actors.

5 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I don't know what you're arguing about.  You're the one who went on a tangent about actors.

Wait, what? This post was definitely you.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

9 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I think I know what you mean.

I mentioned the definition of "cameo" because, in an article about IP creator royalties, a too generous-by-half definition screws them out of even more money. They are entitled to less money if the character they created appears only in a cameo role and the way that's defined seems crazy to me. 

49 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Read an article today that says the X-Men reboot is soon to be announced but will just be called The Mutants. 

:dunno: 

Yes, that makes sense; take one of the most recognizable superhero brand names out there that has nostalgia value from Gen-X and Millenials and...totally ignore it.

Archived