Star Wars: Nothing But Star Wars

Myrddin

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Interestingly, the young kid in the episode (who was also in Episode 2) is supposed to be Corran Horn. They used details like his mother's name in the episode being Nyche, as Corran's is in the books. Speculation is that Corran will be a main character either in Rogue Squadron or one of the upcoming other projects.

As frustrating as Star Wars, and this series, can be -- this still gave me goose bumps.

Corran, Mirax, more Wedge -- ba da ba ba, I'm loving it.

2 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

Since this is the SW thread can I ask a lore-related question? If Luke was in the rebel alliance led by Mon Mothma, and Mon was a senator during the last years of the Republic and probably knew, or heard about, Anakin, does she know, or guessed, that Luke was Anakin and Padmé's son, or at least his relative? Since they have the same name?

Apologies if this was addressed in some material but I didn't see anything on Wookiepedia about it.

I think Luke and Leia being Vader's kids sort of slipped out vaguely after Return of the Jedi in the Expanded Universe. Leia being Vader's daughter becomes public knowledge and a political weapon she gets beaten over the head with in one storyline. As of RotJ, it's unknown. Mothma may have known or guessed. Or Skywalker might be as common a name as Smith and not thought of much.

I think people are forgetting how incredibly stupid clone wars and mandalorian are too at times. Obi wan is particularly dumb, but it ain't like mandalorian didn't have full creative control where jawas traded almost an entire space ship for an egg.

I was thinking - in what world does it actually make sense that Vader and the Grand Inquisitor would mess with the Third Sister in this manner? I mean, assuming Vader wants Obi-Wan, she is just a fucking wild card, a factor endangering the entire operation. So what could he possibly hope to gain by giving her the impression her scheme is succeeding?

If we could assume she was somebody important to him this could make sense - say, if he was sensing her potential and her innate power he might intend to groom her to become his apprentice. But so far nothing like that is there - or if it suddenly were to pop up it would almost certainly feel like a retcon. Then we would have to assume that Vader didn't actually want to capture Obi-Wan, etc. - and that just makes no sense at all.

9 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Help me out here, what even is Reva’s plan? Do what Vader wants so that … cos, she hates him … find Obi Wan, and … yea. Do her actions in episodes 1-4 make any sense given this ‘twist’? 

She doesn't have a plan. She has a goal - to kill Vader. She wants to use obi wan to make Vader vulnerable, maybe, but that's basically it.

Or not! Maybe she wanted to be grand inquisitor at first but obi wan was able to turn her.

This is a big problem with the show - it is impossible to actually get a handle on her motivations because it is so inconsistently written and done. 

5 hours ago, sifth said:

Wait, is this true or just a joke? If it's real, it certainly would explain why the scene looked so fake.

Yeah sorry I didn't mean that exact scene happens on the ride, just that there's a part on the ride where Vader stops the ship in the same way.

Vader stopping ships with the force seems to screw with the canon, cause he could have just stopped millennium falcon as it flew out of the hangar on Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back.

I get that they want to have Vader do bad ass stuff but ffs put some thought into whether it interferes with canon.

6 hours ago, Darryk said:

How many times are they gonna do the "Vader lets people escape so they can suffer" thing? It's getting ridiculous. OT Vader would've force choked her by now, especially after she betrayed him. No way would she be given a chance to get back in his good graces.

Also if Vader and the Grand Inquisitor still didn't want to kill her at the end, why'd he impale her with a lightsaber? Seems intended to kill, you don't really expect people to survive that.

Well, if we think about the Grand Inquisitor and Darth Maul and Darth Vader himself then there are quite a few things you actually can survive. So far Qui-Gon is the only guy who actually died from being pierced by a lightsaber ;-).

But as I said above, I don't see any good reason for this elaborate charade.

Escapes don't make any sense in this series.

First a couple of snow speeders waltzing in to rescue them from a major imperial base.

Now this. Apparently the empire doesn't have tie fighters anymore.

LOL, yes, and just one little troop carrier. I mean, they do have an entire Star Destroyer there, right?

Also, the might of the empire foiled by a single blast door that Reva just cuts through with her lightsaber anyway? How much did these writers get paid? Imagine getting paid to write something this dumb.

They could have made some of this make sense with a couple of lines - establishing that the Inqusitorius has limited military resources, that kind of thing. Vader himself could be under strict orders from the Emperor to not waste precious resources on a foolish Kenobi hunt, etc.

But without any of that it is just weird as hell.

1 minute ago, Darryk said:

Yeah sorry I didn't mean that exact scene happens on the ride, just that there's a part on the ride where Vader stops the ship in the same way.

Vader stopping ships with the force seems to screw with the canon, cause he could have just stopped millennium falcon as it flew out of the hangar on Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back.

I get that they want to have Vader do bad ass stuff but ffs put some thought into whether it interferes with canon.

Vader has stopped ships before in new canon, though not quite as violently as this. He stopped a Lambda shuttle in Star Wars: Rebels.

And hell Ahsoka nearly stopped the shuttle Maul used to escape in the finale of the Clone Wars. This is a thing that the writers want to see used more I think, I believe inspired by some Luke stuff from the EU. And then there's the guy from the Force Unleashed games.

59 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

I think people are forgetting how incredibly stupid clone wars and mandalorian are too at times. Obi wan is particularly dumb, but it ain't like mandalorian didn't have full creative control where jawas traded almost an entire space ship for an egg.

They all have dumb moments here and there but it feels like Obi-Wan has something stupid in every scene. Also The Mandalorian did more than enough to reel audiences in, so it earned the right to make some goofs here and there.

I suppose you can poke holes in almost anything if you look hard enough, the question is has the series / movie immersed you enough to distract you from potential plot holes? In the case of Obi-Wan, the answer is a resounding no.

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

Vader has stopped ships before in new canon, though not quite as violently as this. He stopped a Lambda shuttle in Star Wars: Rebels.

And hell Ahsoka nearly stopped the shuttle Maul used to escape in the finale of the Clone Wars. This is a thing that the writers want to see used more I think, I believe inspired by some Luke stuff from the EU. And then there's the guy from the Force Unleashed games.

Guess I haven't seen enough EU stuff but it all seems problematic. Suddenly Yoda lifting an x-wing out of the swamp, which is one of the best scenes in the OT, doesn't seem so exceptional. 

For me none of the star wars TV shows have pulled me in enough. Obi Wan is probably the closest because Darth Vader is fucking awesome, but all of it has largely been stupid with a side of fanservice. 

1 minute ago, Darryk said:

Guess I haven't seen enough EU stuff but it all seems problematic. Suddenly Yoda lifting an x-wing out of the swamp, which is one of the best scenes in the OT, doesn't seem so exceptional. 

It wasn't exceptional. It was just shocking to us and to Luke because we have not seen the power of the force used.

If you start watching with ep 1 instead of ep 4 and you see the power of the jedi straight away most of the OT feels quaint by comparison. 

4 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Mind you, I doubt any Force-user can pull such feats. 

4 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

It wasn't exceptional. It was just shocking to us and to Luke because we have not seen the power of the force used.

If you start watching with ep 1 instead of ep 4 and you see the power of the jedi straight away most of the OT feels quaint by comparison. 

Yeah they're powerful in the prequels but I don't recall anyone snatching ships out of the sky. It just seems like something not anyone should be able to to, cause then it's like "well, why aren't they doing it all the time then".

But I guess Star Wars has never been good at consistency.

5 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

Since this is the SW thread can I ask a lore-related question? If Luke was in the rebel alliance led by Mon Mothma, and Mon was a senator during the last years of the Republic and probably knew, or heard about, Anakin, does she know, or guessed, that Luke was Anakin and Padmé's son, or at least his relative? Since they have the same name?

Apologies if this was addressed in some material but I didn't see anything on Wookiepedia about it.

Possibly. Does she ever even meet Luke? 

ETA: Never apologize. I once had a multi page argument with someone on the board about something we agreed about. Gnawing the bone to dust is kind of our thing here. 

With love. With love. 

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

Nuh uh. Vader didn't hate the passengers of the millennium falcon with the fire of a thousand suns. His intense hatred for Kenobi enabled him to dig deep in a way he didn't realize he could. It's like those stories in the '70's of ladies picking up a bus that was sitting on top of their injured child (which are totally true BTW). The energy of the universe just flows right into them. 

The whole time part of him is probably thinking, "This is wizard", because he's totally stopping a ship from taking off. 

53 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Slow your roll, Sunshine. That ship was full of water. You ever try lifting something that was full of water? I think not.

Yoda didn't even strain. Darth Vader was straining. Straining big time. In the next episode he'll be recovering from his time on the planet because of all the strain. 

1 hour ago, KalVsWade said:

I get the criticism of Kenobi, but you're right, Kal. Star Wars has always had some non-sensical moments. 

As a kid I used to wonder why tie fighters weren't used during the battle of Hoth to bring down escaping ships. Or attack base once shield was down.

Why are stormtroopers walking around the desert looking for droids? (Aside from the occasional Dewback) Even the poor farmboy had a land speeder.

How long were Han and Leia flying around that asteroid field? Luke must've had 3-4 days of training tops before having to fight Vader.

How the hell were FInn and Rose able to jump away from the being pursued by a Star Destroyer, go to another planet for several hours, and able to jump back to the same Star Destroyer STILL chasing the resistance in sub-light slow mo? If Finn could jump to the SD, why couldn't the FO jump ahead or even with the rebels?

Why are SW land battles like 19th century warfare where they line up and walk toward each other? Neither Battle of Naboo nor Battle of Geonosis make sense militarily.

So, yeah. Star Wars never made 100% sense. Enjoy it for what it is: live action kids shows. 

If they do a vader show I now desperately hope they have Vader piloting a tie, chasing someone down and using the force to toss their fighter into a wall or directly into his turbolasers.

Archived