UK Politics: Johnson in a Pinch(er)

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Rumour has it he intends to insist that it is. That even if the 1922 Committee change the rules, even if he loses a vote of his MPs, he'll insist that he has a mandate from the voters that allows him to continue. That to the end, he will refuse to ever resign.

I just heard Johnson plans to disolve Parliament.  Doesn’t the PM’s power come from the existence of the Parliament?  Will the Queen actually have to step in here?

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I just heard Johnson plans to disolve Parliament.  Doesn’t the PM’s power come from the existence of the Parliament?  Will the Queen actually have to step in here?

"Dissolving Parliament" is the only power the Queen has and she can only execute it at the request of the Prime Minister to call a general election. Boris isn't about to conduct a coup, no.

Her constitutional advisors will already be over the legality of this.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Johnson's government has had a consistent pattern of making laws that give him and his minister carte blanche to act unilaterally as they please.

But no, Johnson can't dissolve parliament unilaterally. The UK supreme court settled that the last time he tried to.

Unilaterally calling a general election is another matter though. As I understand it it is not entirely clear whether he has the power to do that. It would be foolish and monumentally self centred of him to try, but he has made a career of breaking norms.

The PM has now had more resignations than any since 1932.

Welsh Secretary Simon Hart, Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps, Secretary of State for International Trade Anne-Marie Trevelyan and (new) Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi and Chief Whip Chris Heaton-Harris are either at No. 10 or about to arrive.

Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng has publicly called for Johnson to resign.

These are pretty big hitters.

The 1922 Committee has just said it will change the rules on Monday to allow a fresh vote of no confidence, and they seem pretty certain that will go through instantly.

Just now, Spockydog said:

1922 Committee decided not to change the rules. 

Apparently that was a mistake. They will change the rules on Monday and have full confidence that will go through without a problem.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@Werthead@A wilding

Thank you.  That a PM would have the power to disolve Parliament really didn’t make sense to me.

There is no chance the Queen would dissolve Parliament, if the government has a working majority, and the Cabinet is opposed.

More likely, she’d dismiss the PM.

19 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

1922 Committee decided not to change the rules. 

But they are having an election on Monday and the new executive might change them after

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@Werthead@A wilding

Thank you.  That a PM would have the power to disolve Parliament really didn’t make sense to me.

I posted a wiki link above to the Lascelles Principles but missed to actually say anything. Basically, if he tries to call an election but the Queen considers that there is someone else she could appoint as PM who can command a majority then she can refuse.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I reckon the idiot calls an election. It is the only possible route to remaining in power.

Has a sitting PM ever been unseated at a general election? 

Almost. Arthur Balfour lost his seat in 1906, having served as Prime Minister until 1905. He is the only Leader of the Opposition to lose their seat in a general election, though.

Archived