UK Politics: Johnson in a Pinch(er)

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

Maybe Johnson will emulate Trump, and urge his supporters to march on Whitehall and storm the Houses of Parliament.

The difference is that BoJo doesn't have any supporters. His approval rate is currently 23% and dropping, his disapproval rate is around 71% and trending upwards.

YouGov is pretty well-disposed towards the government as well, so for them to be showing these figures shows that the writing is on the wall for BoJo.

Huw Merriman Tweeting he's submitted a letter of no confidence in the Prime Minister whilst simultaneously staring him in the eye at the committee meeting is a nice move.

Interesting stats: the last UK Prime Minister to complete a full term in office as a majority Prime Minister was Tony Blair in 2005. The last UK Prime Minister to complete a full term in office as a majority PM and then be defeated fairly in an election was John Major in 1997.

Blair resigned halfway through his third term, leaving Gordon Brown less than 3 years in power before being defeated in 2010. And then we had the Tory-LibDem coalition in 2015. David Cameron then resigned in 2016 due to Brexit and Theresa May in 2019 due to Brexit. At least Johnson can argue his departure won't entirely or even majorly be because of Brexit.

Jesus Christ. Boris's committee performance is like a 5-year-old after being caught with his hand in the sweetie jar. This is pure cringe.

I don't think he knew that he'd lost 32 ministers. Seemed briefly surprised by that.

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Interesting stats: the last UK Prime Minister to complete a full term in office as a majority Prime Minister was Tony Blair in 2005. The last UK Prime Minister to complete a full term in office as a majority PM and then be defeated fairly in an election was John Major in 1997.

Blair resigned halfway through his third term, leaving Gordon Brown less than 3 years in power before being defeated in 2010. And then we had the Tory-LibDem coalition in 2015. David Cameron then resigned in 2016 due to Brexit and Theresa May in 2019 due to Brexit. At least Johnson can argue his departure won't entirely or even majorly be because of Brexit.

Clearly he will resign for private reasons(taking care of his kids ;)) because he delivered a perfect Brexit and less capable people deserve a chance now. 

Apparently the entire Tory establishment has decided Johnson has to go. Including his newly-appointed Health Secretary and chief whip. Some of them are waiting at Number 10 for him come back from the committee meeting.

Bernard Jenkin, who is well-known as a miracle of British medical science for being born without a spine, is now giving Johnson a really tough time.

True story: a few years back I was at the Oxford Union (Library!) and I got talking with a clerk who told me: The argument used to be whether Boris was a tosser, then it became how much of a tosser he was, then it became how much of a tosser you had to be to not see what a tosser he was, and soon will come the day when even those tossers will want him tossed for being such a tosser. 

Better late than never, I guess. 

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

We're getting like Australia.

I think it's up to four cabinet ministers now waiting to confront him at No. 10.

Some alarm that Johnson may have floated the idea of a general election rather than resigning.

1 minute ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Just pray you don't get like Austria. Since I moved to Austria in 2015, there have been 9 chancellors. 

The only decent one was the chancellor of the technocrat goverment our president set up after the first goverment of Kurz collapsed. Also the only female chancellor we had so far. 

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think it's up to four cabinet ministers now waiting to confront him at No. 10.

Some alarm that Johnson may have floated the idea of a general election rather than resigning.

I can't see the Queen agreeing to it.  When a PM goes rogue, is the point where the Head of State says no.

Archived