UK Politics: Johnson in a Pinch(er)

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Naked self interest.

They're not even good at naked self-interest.  It's obvious that they need to cut him loose.

Six ministers have resigned in two minutes

28 minutes ago, A wilding said:

I seem to remember an argument on this board a couple of years back as to whether the UK was now an elective dictatorship.

The British system does seem specially designed to grant power to the minority.

At the last election, the Conservatives won 43.6% of the vote. The Labour Party won 32.1%. The Liberal Democrats won 11.6%.

So in any any sane country with a representative democracy, a Labour-LibDem coalition could have been formed with 43.7% of the vote, granting them a marginally larger majority with a mandate, given the coalition would have commanded 14 million votes to the Conservative Party's 13.9 million. It's also possible that the SNP would have agreed to support some measures even if joining the coalition was impossible, adding another 3% of the vote and another 1.2 million votes' support to those measures.

Instead, the Conservative Party won 365 seats versus Labour's 202, the LibDems' 11 and the SNP's 48. So if all three of the other parties had joined forces in a formal coalition, the Tories would have still commanded an unbeatable majority, despite having a smaller vote-share than two of the others combined.

8 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Then, it would be time for the Queen to dismiss him.  That's the job of the Head of State, in such a situation.

27 ministerial and PPS resignations now.

Is anyone doing the maths on this? He "won" the no-confidence vote 211-148.  Assuming (1) all those who already lost confidence have not suddenly regained it (a safe assumption IMHO); (2) the 27 will obviously vote for a no confidence motion it looks like the current tally is 184-175 in his favour at best if there is a further no-confidence vote.  Obviously the 1922 will have to change the rules and that may be the sticking point here.  

3 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Is anyone doing the maths on this? He "won" the no-confidence vote 211-148.  Assuming (1) all those who already lost confidence have not suddenly regained it (a safe assumption IMHO); (2) the 27 will obviously vote for a no confidence motion it looks like the current tally is 184-175 in his favour at best if there is a further no-confidence vote.  Obviously the 1922 will have to change the rules and that may be the sticking point here.  

Add in five MP's who say they voted for him in the VONC, and now say they'd vote against, and that makes 179-180.  But, his support is sinking so fast, I doubt he'd get 100.

21 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Six ministers have resigned in two minutes

Five in one letter. Who says the Tories don't care about the environment?

47 minutes ago, mormont said:

Rumour has it he intends to insist that it is. That even if the 1922 Committee change the rules, even if he loses a vote of his MPs, he'll insist that he has a mandate from the voters that allows him to continue. That to the end, he will refuse to ever resign.

Taking pps. from the romperisto's playbook, doubtless.

I'd be so much happier about this if I felt like we had anything resembling an effective opposition. Instead as far as I can tell the Lib Dems are Tories-Lite, and Labour is busy tearing itself apart in a frenzied rush to become a centre-right party.

Gove tells him he has to go, but doesn't seem to have resigned

19 minutes ago, mormont said:

Five in one letter. Who says the Tories don't care about the environment?

Is that... praise... for JRM?
He is minister in charge of government efficiency, after all

I think we're past forty but possibly British Political Twitter has crashed.

The last couple of resignations from the "I supported Boris previously when it was obvious he was corrupt and decrepit, but not now because I love a fucking bandwagon," crowd I think also tip him over the vote of no confidence threshold, assuming that'd translate into letters.

Several MPs saying they've submitted letters of no confidence for the first time. At least someone who previously submitted a letter said they've re-submitted theirs.

Archived