US Politics - Breaking the Seal

Mlle. Zabzie

Fun fact: Eric T. took a selfie during an interview on some right-wing network. The photo clearly showed his WiFi passwords (taped to some equipment) for Mar-a-Lardo. Wait, there's more: It's 1122334455.

45 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Care to bet they won't try?

Sure, because definitionally/etymologically gerrymandering literally means manipulating the boundaries within a state.  I suppose the GOP may try to break up states to further their disproportionate electoral advantage in the future, but that's not what gerrymandering means. 

3 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Fun fact: Eric T. took a selfie during an interview on some right-wing network. The photo clearly showed his WiFi passwords (taped to some equipment) for Mar-a-Lardo. Wait, there's more: It's 1122334455.

Gosh i hope the internet is not sharing this 

number for gosh sakes.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

I suppose the GOP may try to break up states to further their disproportionate electoral advantage in the future, but that's not what gerrymandering means. 

And my 11th grade teacher said there was no East or West Dakota. 

Whose' retarded gnow MrS. Greensbourne??? I's waz gust head o dat dem der kurv!

8 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

And my 11th grade teacher said there was no East or West Dakota. 

Whose' retarded gnow MrS. Greensbourne??? I's waz gust head o dat dem der kurv!

Whenever I go to East Tennessee they still get mad when I try to tell them their true state is Franklin. 

45 minutes ago, DMC said:

Whenever I go to East Tennessee they still get mad when I try to tell them their true state is Franklin. 

We have the State of Jefferson out west, take that California!

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

"And change the combination on my luggage"

-President Skroob

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Sure, because definitionally/etymologically gerrymandering literally means manipulating the boundaries within a state.  I suppose the GOP may try to break up states to further their disproportionate electoral advantage in the future, but that's not what gerrymandering means. 

You seem to have a higher view of republican sanity than myself.

Something I have seen pop up more and more often amongst far-right pundits: federal senators are to be appointed by the state legislatures. So, you have a state with a D majority, but thanks to gerrymandering, is under the sway of a R minority who really, really do not like being reminded they are a minority. So, the ram through the 'Senator by legislative appointment' and the current SC blatantly overrules any lawsuit to the contrary. Some R states might not be far off from trying something like this.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

You seem to have a higher view of republican sanity than myself.

Nope, just anal about definitions. 

Thinking about it, this one isn't even on me.  It was one of my advisors that got pissed and subsequently pet peeved  about it because Theriault stupidly listed it in his book.  She was like (and this is definitely just paraphrasing from my addled memory), "from 2005 to when it was published he kept on asking me for comments and I was like 'stop conflating what happened in the House & gerrymandering with the radicalization of the Senate - most people are gonna confuse that association.'"  And Sean apparently was like  :dunno: DGAF.

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

ederal senators are to be appointed by the state legislatures

In the early days of the US -- the Republic era -- they were. essentially.  The voting franchise was very very very limited.

This excited talk I occasionally see about turning Texas blue, centred on Beto O'Rourke's campaigning performance, it seems. Is this realistic hopefulness of hopeless optimism, and what's the likely time-frame, if the former?

Donald Trump’s Tax Returns Revealed By New York Times

President Trump paid only $750 in income tax in the year he was elected president, according to a bombshell report by the New York Times. The investigation by the newspaper also revealed he had not paid taxes in 10 of the 15 years they obtained records for, with his businesses taking on substantial loans and suffering massive losses.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

This excited talk I occasionally see about turning Texas blue, centred on Beto O'Rourke's campaigning performance, it seems. Is this realistic hopefulness of hopeless optimism, and what's the likely time-frame, if the former?

I am a prince in Nigeria. If you give me ten thousand dollars American so that I can access my fortune, I shall see you richly rewarded...

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Barring Abbott having fucked a boy there is almost no chance of orourke winning. 

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Donald Trump’s Tax Returns Revealed By New York Times

President Trump paid only $750 in income tax in the year he was elected president, according to a bombshell report by the New York Times. The investigation by the newspaper also revealed he had not paid taxes in 10 of the 15 years they obtained records for, with his businesses taking on substantial loans and suffering massive losses.

If it is legal to avoid paying taxes, then one is rather a fool to not take advantage of what the law permits. The law doesn't and shouldn't assume generosity of spirit when it comes to taxation, it should assume that every person, human or corporate, will minimise to the greatest extent legally allowed their tax liability. If people are pissed at the amount of tax Trump and his ilk pay in tax then don't be angry at them, be angry at the law makers who make it possible.

Of course if it is found he or his companies broke laws, then take them for all they are worth. But the fact that it is possible this avoidance may be legal to the extent that substantial investigation and possible prosecution is necessary to prove otherwise is an outrage in itself.

Archived