UK Politics - Now is the Spring of our Discontent

Which Tyler

34 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Not sure why it would be a good idea to transport water in little red edible but tasteless bags over such a long distance though.

7 minutes ago, kiko said:

Not sure why it would be a good idea to transport water in little red edible but tasteless bags over such a long distance though.

Ohh, I remember getting Wedge tomatoes from a farmer's market in Malta... Heavenly on a slice of bread, with olive oil and some cheese.

What I'm saying is, they're not all the same, though most of what's on offer here in Norway is bland and watery too.

We're not in the EU either, but I haven't noticed any shortages.

9 minutes ago, lacuna said:

Ohh, I remember getting Wedge tomatoes from a farmer's market in Malta... Heavenly on a slice of bread, with olive oil and some cheese.

What I'm saying is, they're not all the same, though most of what's on offer here in Norway is bland and watery too.

We're not in the EU either, but I haven't noticed any shortages.

That's the reason why we call those things Dutch water bags. To be fair, you get what you pay for. But even the pricey stuff is not so much better. There's no good replacement for sunshine and keeping those things on the plant till they are ripe, I guess.

46 minutes ago, kiko said:

eating San Marzano tomatoes is like the difference between eating a MacDonald's burger and a well aged high quality steak (i don't approve of Wagyu, i find it too buttery).  it changes your whole perception about the humble tomato. 

3 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I hate McDonald’s burgers. But those nuggets.

i remember when I discovered how much per nugget it was when you bought 20 (25p per nugget) instead of 6 (60p per nugget), and nearly wept at the money I had wasted over the years. 

Shortages may last until May, as UK growers delay planting due to high energy costs. Thanks, Tories!

meanwhile there are photographs from Europe, the Canary Islands, even war-torn Kherson, Ukraine, of amply stocked shelves of fruit and veg.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64743704

Fucking hell!

A Merseyside school is making its girls enter separately from the boys, and line up to have their skirts inspected by teachers -including male teachers! - to ensure they are not too short.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-64743377

Pupils are protesting , including male pupils wearing skirts over their uniforms

22 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Fucking hell!

A Merseyside school is making its girls enter separately from the boys, and line up to have their skirts inspected by teachers -including male teachers! - to ensure they are not too short.

Pupils are protesting , including male pupils wearing skirts over their uniforms

Sometimes, things are so mad that even if they are deeply offensive you just have to laugh. 

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Fucking hell!

That sort of thing would happen at my school all the time. Fine if they want to make sure only female teachers do it, but I don’t have a problem with a school having a strict uniform policy.

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

That sort of thing would happen at my school all the time. Fine if they want to make sure only female teachers do it, but I don’t have a problem with a school having a strict uniform policy.

If they want to speak with individuals breaching the policy - a minority - that’s one thing.

Separating every girl from the achool from the boys, lining them up and then inspecting each girl’s skirt (by male teachers in some cases!) is appalling.

Must be horrible and awkward for the (non-pervert) teachers too.

Just because it happened while you were at school doeant nake it right. When inwas at school, I remwmber my sister complaining of a male PE teacher walking into the girl changing rooms while they were changing.

Same teacher invited the boys to come by PE dept for a shower at lunchtime, as “that was when he had his shower”.

We declined

Yeah totally, I bet we all have stories of creepy teachers doing dodgy stuff at school, that sort of thing used to happen all the time too. Thats why I'd not want male teachers doing the inspecting.

But otherwise.. not sure I see the problem. Describing it as "appalling" seems like hyperbole to me.  A bit of discipline and attention to rules is something modern kids could do with a bit more of. We are already raising a generation of attention seeking pushovers, if they can't take something as simple as a uniform inspection then what the hell is going on.

25 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Most school uniforms round my way appear to have been designed by paedophiles. 

Quite. If its a choice between uniform inspections and everyone thinking they are in a Britney Spears video, I know which answer I'd choose.

2 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

and if you feel that short skirt lenghts are causing a distraction you really should educated the distracted that she was asking for it cos of what she wore is not an excuse.

and if you want equality then make the uniform Trousers for all.

Ugh, try telling teenage boys not to look at girls. Living in a dreamworld mate. 

Archived