[Spoilers] Rings of Power 4: The Battle for Middle-Earth begins

Ser Drewy

9 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

They needed Peter Jackson to make this work, instead they just ghosted him and they are reaping what they sow now

Not really.

Jackson proved with Hobbit he’s not miracle worker and that you need a specific set of circumstances and people to make something as great as the LOTR trilogy.

Ideally Rings of Power would been LESS in thrall to the Jackson movies, and be trying to do something radically different. Instead it’s sort of a bland, boring retread.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Ideally Rings of Power would been LESS in thrall to the Jackson movies, and be trying to do something radically different. Instead it’s sort of a bland, boring retread.

That's the weird thing about the show to me. Despite the scale of the canvas, and especially with Tolkien envisioning the Second Age as its own 'thing' from the Third and First Ages both tonally and thematically, Amazon did everything they could to make S.A feel as much like the PJ 'T.A' as possible. 

Edited by Ser Drewy

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Not really.

Jackson proved with Hobbit he’s not miracle worker and that you need a specific set of circumstances and people to make something as great as the LOTR trilogy.

There is an outline of the events of the second age.  All they had to do was flesh that out like “House of the Dragon” is fleshing out the events of Fire and Blood. Instead they go with fanfiction.  Will Gandalf… who shouldn’t arrive for another thousand years… start whipping out magic the gathering cards to cast spells next?

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

There is an outline of the events of the second age.  All they had to do was flesh that out like “House of the Dragon” is fleshing out the events of Fire and Blood. Instead they go with fanfiction.  Will Gandalf… who shouldn’t arrive for another thousand years… start whipping out magic the gathering cards to cast spells next?

You may not like what they did in Return of the King or The Hobbit Trilogy, but PJs work remains the finest LOTR adaptations seen in any media and did help popularise it in the mainstream and in the Oscars. It really captured the magic of the books and the cast was great all around. He is essentially the modern day George Lucas.(although he didnt create the world). Certainly the movies are much better than any other modern day fantasy films(before GoT). Why else do you think WB is trying their best to lure him back to the franchise. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

18 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Unlike Amazon, Jackson actually understands the world of LOTR and know how to balance an adaptation with the appropriate amount of creative license. 

Galadrial’s freak out, stair surfing, how many times does Aragorn come back from the dead, Merry and Pippin fool the Ents into randomly and suddenly attacking Isengard, Frodo sends Sam home, Theoden says he will not send help, Pippin lights the beacons, Theoden randomly changes his mind, Denethor (ugh), Faramir’s suicidally stupid insane charge in broad daylight,  Denethor’s flaming 5k (I’m not exaggerating), Skull avalanches, scrubbng bubbles of death, Aragorn kills the messenger…

I enjoy the LOtR films… but… they have issues.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Galadrial’s freak out, stair surfing, how many times does Aragorn come back from the dead, Merry and Pippin fool the Ents into randomly and suddenly attacking Isengard, Frodo sends Sam home, Theoden says he will not send help, Pippin lights the beacons, Theoden randomly changes his mind, Denethor (ugh), Faramir’s suicidally stupid insane charge in broad daylight,  Skull avalanches, scrubbng bubbles of death, Aragorn kills the messenger…

I enjoy the LOtR films… but… they have issues.

I never denied that, but they still happen to the best representation of that world outside the books and the letters was my point, and that PJ couldve certainly made a competent second age series. 

He sums this up quite well. 

Honestly the main issue with The Hobbit Trilogy was that PJ took a small childrens novel and tried to strech it out into 3 gigantic films adding tons of filler in em, when the main events were already told in another trilogy. The love and craftmanship that went into The Hobbit films is still quite evident in them. Everything with Smaug and Gollum was superb.

7 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I never denied that, but they still happen to the best representation of that world outside the books and the letters was my point, and that PJ couldve certainly made a competent second age series. 

What other live action comparisons do we have to make such an assessment from… ?  Once again I enjoy these films (LoTR much more than the Hobbit) but they are a long way from masterpieces and got worse as they progressed.  I do not understand the need to have the Hobbits move almost  every plot point.  Their heroism is already there without making them the prime movers.

The decision to make Denethor carpet chewing insane and stupid with every moment of screen time still perplexes me.  Hard. Ruthless, and ultimately desparing is interesting.   Stupid and crazy is just boring.

16 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

You may not like what they did in Return of the King or The Hobbit Trilogy, but PJs work remains the finest LOTR adaptations seen in any media and did help popularise it in the mainstream and in the Oscars. It really captured the magic of the books and the cast was great all around. He is essentially the modern day George Lucas.(although he didnt create the world). Certainly the movies are much better than any other modern day fantasy films(before GoT). Why else do you think WB is trying their best to lure him back to the franchise. 

I would suggest that that’s in your experience. The BBC Radio drama is far, far better than what Jackson did. I quite liked LotR but his work on the Hobbit left at least as much to be desired as RoP and, given so much silliness, I give credit that RoP did far less of a disservice to Dwarvenkind than Jackson did. 

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What other live action comparisons do we have to make such an assessment from… ?  Once again I enjoy these films (LoTR much more than the Hobbit) but they are a long way from masterpieces and got worse as they progressed.  I do not understand the need to have the Hobbits move almost  every plot point.  Their heroism is already there without making them the prime movers.

The decision to make Denethor carpet chewing insane and stupid with every moment of screen time still perplexes me.  Hard. Ruthless, and ultimately desparing is interesting.   Stupid and crazy is just boring.

You’re giving too much ground here. It wasn’t just live action. It was any media beyond the text. 

5 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Honestly the main issue with The Hobbit Trilogy was that PJ took a small childrens novel and tried to strech it out into 3 gigantic films adding tons of filler in em, when the main events were already told in another trilogy. The love and craftmanship that went into The Hobbit films is still quite evident in them. Everything with Smaug and Gollum was superb.

They rode metal canoes in molten metal… Giant rabbits… how far is Mount Gundabad from Erebor?  

Shai Hulud?

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

But i think we can agree that PJ wouldve done a far better job than Amazon and wouldve made this series an enjoyable watch at the very least...which was my original point... 

Also, on a side note,  i do think he is a much more talented director and artist than the majority of the directors doing those assembly line comic book films at Hollywood these days. 

Without PJ, GOT and other modern day fantasy adaptations wouldve never happened and they definitely took some inspiration from his art style, tone, production design etc. I mean look at the fantasy films we had before PJ made LOTR Scot... shit like Legend in the 80s, which was overly fantastic without the human element.

PJ single handedly revived the fantasy genre in Hollywood and on a smaller scale in other medias. All that came about in Hollywood films of the high fantasty genre(not counting SW) really thanks to PJ. After him the tone of this genre became much more human and relatable with an emphasis on realistic characters. 

7 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

But i think we can agree that PJ wouldve done a far better job than Amazon and wouldve made this series an enjoyable watch at the very least...which was my original point... 

I’ll give you a “maybe”.  Perhaps he would have pushed to buy the rights to actual Tolkien second age narratives rather than compress multiple millennia of story into a decade of story time.  

And no “Mithril flakes”.