Ted Lasso (new seasons… new reasons)(spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

Ugh, I hate these episodes. This is the point where it really shows that Ted Lasso is basically just a cheesy sitcom at heart.

For me when they take away the football I lose all interest, and i notice how cardboard cutout all the characters are. 

Why the fuck was this episode so long!!

I’ve found season 3 to be a bit of a return to form after the very patchy season 2.

This Amsterdam episode was dreadful however, and it’s bad for the very same reasons I’ve found other episodes bad in the past.

I think half the problem the show has is that it just lacks any sort of tension or conflict if you remove the central football plot line. The only half interesting plotline is Ted’s breakdown but even then it feels really dragged out and at the same time under-explored.

The show is so terrified of making any character even slightly unlikable that it scrubs clean any sort of negative characteristics and instead ramps up the ‘lovable and quirky’ elements hoping the audience will go ‘awwww’ for an hour. 

It leaves all the characters being nothing more than cartoons. These aren’t complex interesting people, you could sum up who they are in 2 or 3 words. And that’s bad.

After watching Beef on Netflix which centred around two of the least likeable people I’ve ever seen, yet I loved them and they will stay with me for years. The best characters have multiple sides and sometimes are dicks because they are human. Nobody on Ted Lasso feels very human. The one exception being Nathan Shelley, who wasn’t even in this episode. 

So an overlong episode where you remove any tension, no football, no interesting characters and just a series of dull scenarios that have no impact on anything. That’s what we got here and it’s the same problems this show often has which is why it annoys me so much. Honestly who gives a shit about Rebecca meeting a bloke on a boat?? Do I really need to watch the team decide what they want to do on a night out? The show just isn’t well written enough to pull this stuff off.

Hopefully this will all be skipped over and return to normalcy next week.

Edited by Heartofice

I actually quite liked the Amsterdam episode. It's a bit annoying that it's treated like some mystical land (first by Atlanta and now this), but with the exception of the Rebecca storyline which I'll admit was cringe, I liked the various adventures. What is more, I think we actually see the plot move forward.

I really want to see this series end with them winning the premier league. Probably impossible at this point, but at least West ham deserves to get a drubbing. With Ted's discovery of total football, I hope we'll finally see some action.

39 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I actually quite liked the Amsterdam episode. It's a bit annoying that it's treated like some mystical land (first by Atlanta and now this), but with the exception of the Rebecca storyline which I'll admit was cringe, I liked the various adventures. What is more, I think we actually see the plot move forward.

I really want to see this series end with them winning the premier league. Probably impossible at this point, but at least West ham deserves to get a drubbing. With Ted's discovery of total football, I hope we'll finally see some action.

I dont think they will win the premier league but definitely will end beating West ham in classic teen wolf fashion sans wolf/zava.

I try hard to not think about how badly Richmond would be doing in real life with a coaching team and manager that barely understand tactics, no scouting or analytics staff, a chairwoman who barely does any actual work, plus they’ve seemingly only bought one player in years and he was an aging legend who has since left. 

Luckily the show is really about their love lives because if it wasn’t this would need to be in the Fantasy category with Rings of Power 

In real life, Richmond would be dead last in the league and be more likely to break Derby County's record for lowest points total than avoid relegation. I suppose we can guess with reasonable accuracy that 'Total Football' is going to be a game changer for Richmond but in reality it would be a disaster for a team like Richmond because that style of play requires a squad of players with superb technical ability (and adaptability) and top notch coaching.

What was the point of Zava? This is assuming he’s not coming back for the final few episodes. This is one story arc I just can’t understand. He joins the team and then quits after we hardly get to know him. 

11 minutes ago, sifth said:

What was the point of Zava? This is assuming he’s not coming back for the final few episodes. This is one story arc I just can’t understand. He joins the team and then quits after we hardly get to know him. 

What is the point of 90% of the story arcs on the show.

Just now, Heartofice said:

What is the point of 90% of the story arcs on the show.

Yea, but why even bring in a new character, if you’re just going to write them out so quickly. I mean was this season filmed during Covid and the actor suddenly had to leave? It just feels beyond weird. 

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Yea, but why even bring in a new character, if you’re just going to write them out so quickly. I mean was this season filmed during Covid and the actor suddenly had to leave? It just feels beyond weird. 

i actually found this to be one of the better plot lines of the show actually, mainly as it seems to have some connection to the team and overall plot. Zava coming in as a eccentric legend, everyone relying on him and then him disappearing seems pretty close to reality (hello Ronaldo) so I'm not bothered that he left as suddenly as he arrived. I always assumed the story was introduced to demonstrate that the players have the power within themselves and don't need to turn to a superstar to win.

Of course the bad plotting of the show means they kind of lost all momentum and instead wasted everyone's time in Amsterdam arguing over where to go on a night out. 

Either way, I could name pretty much all the other minor plot lines and think 'what the fuck has this got to do with anything'. I mean seriously why is Keeleys agency a thing and why do I care if she goes off with the female Elon Musk? The show is so scattergun with its storytelling sometimes, it just has zero focus.

Loved the latest episode. A return to great humor, balanced by a good, sober story with Sam's restaurant.

In the Amsterdam episode, I thought there were some good character relationship developments, like Roy and Jamie. And Rebecca got to experience something worthwhile. Both Rebecca and Keely have been sliding this season. Ted coming up with total football all on his own was funny, too.

Honestly, the thing that bothered me most about the Amsterdam episode was why a shit team like Richmond had a friendly match with Ajax in the middle of the season. There must have been an international break, but none of the team's players got called to their national teams which is sad. (And Ajax would likely not have been at full strength if that was the case)