Ted Lasso (new seasons… new reasons)(spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

Yeah it was definitely an improvement on the last episode. More football makes the show better in general. Ropes round dicks is maybe a training method that nobody would ever sign off on, it would be a bloodbath… but at least it was entertaining.

All the other external stuff was mostly a total waste of time as usual. It’s hard to understand why Keely is still even on the show, are we just here to see who she is dating each week? 

The Suella / Priti section was so on the nose it was outrageous, it very much did make me groan.. but this is an Apple show so what do you expect. 

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

I liked both of them :dunno: I really dislike the Keely subplot though.

I agree with the latter. I just don't see the point in a tertiary character's subplot that has nothing to do with anything else on the show in the final season.

41 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I agree with the latter. I just don't see the point in a tertiary character's subplot that has nothing to do with anything else on the show in the final season.

It really is a pretty big miss. Feel that way about Rebecca and Nate for the most part as well. Neither storyline really works for me. All the Richmond team storylines do though.

Even worse with the Keely storyline is that they spent the last couple of seasons building up her romance with Roy.. only to cut it dead for seemingly no reason at all.

Now they waste screen time each episode on this ‘Emily in Paris’ style girlboss drama of Keely and her pointless agency. 

This is what I mean when I say the writers have very little interest in football, it’s like they are annoyed they have to write about football at all, and really what they want is to be writing episodes of Friends. 

Or,  the whole thing is decided by algorithm and the AI said they need to target female demographic by crowbarring Devil Wears Prada style gunk into the show.

Actually what I suspect is happening is that they don’t know how to pad out a whole season so they have to fill time with … something!
What is curious and actually pretty revealing is that they rarely bother with any of the players’ lives. Outside of Sam and Jamie we almost never learn anything about the players. They are just glorified extras really.. on a show about football. 

Edited by Heartofice

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Actually what I suspect is happening is that they don’t know how to pad out a whole season so they have to fill time with … something!

If that's the case then it's really a self-inflicted issue. They wouldn't have needed to pad episodes had they just followed their season 1 episode lengths of 30-35 minutes. I don't get why the episodes this season needed to be so long especially when so much of an episode is just pointless uninteresting fluff.

Edited by Consigliere

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

If that's the case then it's really a self-inflicted issue. They wouldn't have needed to pad episodes had they just followed their season 1 episode lengths of 30-35 minutes. I don't get why the episodes this season needed to be so long especially when so much of an episode is just pointless uninteresting fluff.

Yeah true. I don’t know if there is some advantage for streaming services by having longer episodes? I’m assuming Apple put pressure on them. I find hour long Ted lasso a real drag.

On 4/29/2023 at 2:06 AM, Heartofice said:

What is curious and actually pretty revealing is that they rarely bother with any of the players’ lives. Outside of Sam and Jamie we almost never learn anything about the players. They are just glorified extras really.. on a show about football. 

Hate to break it to you champ but Ted Lasso has never been about football. That's just the sit in the sitcom. I dont like the show but similarily big bang theory isn't about the university.

2 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Hate to break it to you champ but Ted Lasso has never been about football. That's just the sit in the sitcom. I dont like the show but similarily big bang theory isn't about the university.

Well.. you are sort of right, but I think the difference with Ted Lasso is that it is pretty reliant on the situation to create drama.
There is still a central plot line of the team and it’s performance that pushes the show along. Unlike Big Bang which really is just a bunch of people who happen to be at a uni, or even like Cheers who are mostly just people in a bar, Ted Lasso is much more dependent on the football to move the story along.

The more I think about it i suspect what is really going on is that the writers are scared of alienating their audience by focusing on football, assuming they are aiming at Americans, and probably at least 50% women. So they try and make sure there are a bunch of lazily written romantic plotline weaved in and out. 

21 minutes ago, sifth said:

@Heartofice

I'm starting to see the issues you've mentioned in the past. Aside from a few brief mentions at the start of the episode, this most recent episode almost completely ignores the football aspect of this show.

I'll watch it tonight I guess, but you aren't filling me with excitement. 

15 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So… Dr. Jacob is just Michelle’s friend?  She and Ted get back together?  Ted goes home to KC and Nate takes over at Richmond when he realizes just how big a prick Rupert really is?  Keely gets back with Jamie?

I cannot possibly see how the first could be true. It'd be a bizarre way to present their relationship till now. 

Keely isn't getting back with Jamie. If nothing else, he isn't gonna do that to Roy. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I cannot possibly see how the first could be true. It'd be a bizarre way to present their relationship till now. 

Keely isn't getting back with Jamie. If nothing else, he isn't gonna do that to Roy. 

As to the first.  I’m all sorts of confused.  Maybe she said “no”.  But “Dr. Jacob” is really oddly upbeat if so…

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

As to the first.  I’m all sorts of confused.  Maybe she said “no”.  But “Dr. Jacob” is really oddly upbeat if so…

I don’t think there was a proposal. And I think that Michelle realized her dream hadn’t really been going to Paris, but going there with Ted. 

Yeah I don't think he proposed. Ted just decided that must be what he's doing. It was still a romantic trip, though. 

I don't think the way the show is presenting that arc is pointing to Ted and Michelle getting back together. It's all about him getting over it, but forging a strong co-parenting relationship. But even if they do, Michelle and Jacob are definitely a couple right now. 

(ps I do have to say Ted's arc in this episode was rank. No way would the character he is ever do what he asked Rebecca for. Just not happening)

One thing that's kind of annoyed me is, we're told Nate is this legendary coach, but never get to see him do any actual coaching. The show has basically become all tell and no show, when it comes to football.

I had to turn that episode off halfway through, firstly because this show just can’t sustain interest for a full hour and secondly it was almost entirely concerned with Keely and her sex tape. 

Honestly I have no idea what the writers are thinking with this Keely stuff. Everything about it is terrible and just completely irrelevant. I don’t understand why it has any relation to anything else. 

If only the show was able to just concentrate more on Ted himself it would be so much better. 

The hit to shit ratio of this show is not looking good at the moment.