Ted Lasso (new seasons… new reasons)(spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

Maybe the backlash against Ted Lasso isn’t just me then:

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2023/05/ted-lasso-season-three-decline/673943/

Midway through watching “Sunflowers,” a nearly feature-length episode of Ted Lassothat juggles five separate plotlines, I wondered aloud, “When exactly did this show turn into a prestige drama?” Yes, the script still has plenty of jokes—though few of them deserve more than a low chuckle, and many characters are little more than caricatures. But as it’s continued to draw viewers and accolades for Apple TV+, this Emmy-winning comedy has pivoted further and further away from the genre to which it supposedly belongs, devolving into ham-fisted, novelistic nonsense.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:34 PM, Heartofice said:

Well.. you are sort of right, but I think the difference with Ted Lasso is that it is pretty reliant on the situation to create drama.
There is still a central plot line of the team and it’s performance that pushes the show along. Unlike Big Bang which really is just a bunch of people who happen to be at a uni, or even like Cheers who are mostly just people in a bar, Ted Lasso is much more dependent on the football to move the story along.

The more I think about it i suspect what is really going on is that the writers are scared of alienating their audience by focusing on football, assuming they are aiming at Americans, and probably at least 50% women. So they try and make sure there are a bunch of lazily written romantic plotline weaved in and out. 

The football was also the funniest bit. The competition, the culture of the club, the fish-out-of-water bits with Ted, the players as individuals and as a team, the egos and conflicts and, whatchamacallit, plot. All that was rooted in the football.

This season does feel a little dragging.  I think part of the problem is seeing Ted as human and not just the chipper false faced happy guy. He puts on a happy face for everyone to hide the pain he is in. He hates it there and wants to be home with his family.

The Keely tape thing was a bit out of no where and could lead to her and Jaime getting back together. They are a better fit than she and anyone else. Roy was already not working with her and was getting interested with that teacher last season, where did that go btw?  And when he spoke to Keely about the tape instead of just being a friend he showed his jealous side and asked who it was for.  They are not meant for each other.  Keely and Jaime are a good pair.

I could see it wrapping up with Jaime and Keely together. Ted and beard heading back to the US. Then one of two things, either Roy takes over as coach or the boy wonder leaves West Ham and comes back to his home team. I am also assuming the last episode has the Greyhounds beating West Ham, or Manchester.

In any case it was a fun couple of seasons and hopefully it ends well.

19 hours ago, dbunting said:

And when he spoke to Keely about the tape instead of just being a friend he showed his jealous side and asked who it was for. 

I don't think it was meant to be jealousy, I think it was meant to be 'do I need to beat Jamie up'. Which isn't great either, but I don't think he was being jealous. 

19 hours ago, dbunting said:

Roy was already not working with her and was getting interested with that teacher last season, where did that go btw? 

Same place Nate kissing Keeley went. It was only there to give an opening to have the 'honest with each other' conversation they had that led to her telling him Jamie told her he still loved her.  

They're gonna get back together. I can't see how they're setting anything else up. They clearly still love each other, and Jamie and Keeley's interactions aren't those of two people considering getting it on again. Like I say, I can't see there's any way Jamie does it, with his new relationship with Roy. Just isn't happening. 

19 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Episode 9, best episode of the season? I think so.

I enjoyed that one.  Colin’s sexuality was deftly handled in a realistic fashion (for a comedy).  I love that Nate is waking up to how Rupert is manipulating him.  I’m 90% sure 

Spoiler

Ted goes home to KC and Nathan takes over as Richmond Head coach.

22 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Just for fun, for those who know the Premier League well, which real team has Richmond replaced in the PL table?

Have they played Liverpool or Newcastle at all? :P

Brighton apparently according to their fake news account.

Yeah it was a good episode. Mainly because it was pretty focused, and focused on the team in particular rather than the love life of some random. It was reasonably well written though.

It seems a pretty low bar to get over it this was the best episode of the season, it shows just how poor the show is these days. 

I think they handled the issue pretty well, as well as you can I guess. We all know that there will be a few, or more than a few, teammates who aren't ok with it and who would leak it to the media immediately. 

Pretty sure we saw Roy get his ass chewed and called out for his BS issues and then ultimately do the press conference for a reason. I agree that Ted and Beard leave at the end of the season and I think Roy and Nathan take over together. It's clear Nathan isn't long for his current position and I assume dipshit owner gets caught cheating at the end and his new wife takes that club from him just like he lost the other one!?!? Obviously a stretch but it would be funny to see his ex wives running both clubs as friends while he is in misery.

I thought the Dany Rojas bit was funny.

And the episode had a good message about the what football means to fans and the shenanigans the big clubs have been up to lately. For those who don't know, several big clubs from Europe did attempt to create their own Super League last year and there are still owners who are scheming to figure out how to do it.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I thought the Dany Rojas bit was funny.

And the episode had a good message about the what football means to fans and the shenanigans the big clubs have been up to lately. For those who don't know, several big clubs from Europe did attempt to create their own Super League last year and there are still owners who are scheming to figure out how to do it.

The way European football is organized… is very confusing…

52 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Rankings perhaps… but they’re all in the same leauge at least.

There are other leagues, but they don't jump from one to another on a yearly basis based on performance... just on how much money they make. The Big10 has 14 universities in the conference.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

There are other leagues, but they don't jump from one to another on a yearly basis based on performance... just on how much money they make. The Big10 has 14 universities in the conference.

But college teams have “out of conference” games all the time. A “conference” isn’t a “league”.