International Events Next-

DireWolfSpirit

2 hours ago, Bironic said:

I think there is one main difference to the polish election though I think. Fico will have to govern in a coalition and the partners he will have are more moderate and will tone down some of his worst qualities. 

That's a good point.  This is not a good result but there is at least more votes going to moderate enough parties in Slovakia (probably 2:1 but that majority is split across a lot of parties, while Smer takes most of the latter).  In Poland, its pretty much 50:50, so there is no moderation possible, unless there is a shock result.

Anything that makes Orban happy is still a depressing day though.

Also, if anyone can instruct me as to the whys and wherefores of this Serb armed buildup on the Kosovo border, I will be appreciative.  Coz, you know, I have no idea.  :(

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/1/serbia-denies-us-eu-reports-of-military-build-up-along-kosovo-border

Edited by Zorral

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Also, if anyone can instruct me as to the whys and wherefores of this Serb armed buildup on the Kosovo border, I will be appreciative.  Coz, you know, I have no idea.  :(

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/1/serbia-denies-us-eu-reports-of-military-build-up-along-kosovo-border

There’s going to be an election in Serbia and Vucic wants to appear tough. While there’s little appetite for conflict in Serbia, many still view Kosovo as a major sticking point. That’s my take on it. 

55 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But what does this mean?  Still have no idea.

Basically a lot of people in Serbia think that Kosovo or at the very least the majority Serb part of north Kosovo is Serbia. And there is also a significant  part of Serbs that still dream of a greater Serbia (current Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Bosnia &Herzegovina and parts of Croatia). This is or at least was the stance of many leading figures of the ruling party in Serbia. There is an upcoming snap election in December in Serbia, so Vucic panders to these voters, by playing the tough guy.

Since both the EU and NATO need Serbia (to be less Russia & China friendly, as well as for economic reasons) they chose to cozy up to Serbia as much as possible, which gave Vucic (Serbias president / dictator) the impression he can get away with everything, further exacerbated by the recent developments in Ukraine and Azerbaijan. So he is probing how far he can go, and with what he can get away with.

11 hours ago, Bironic said:

Basically a lot of people in Serbia think that Kosovo or at the very least the majority Serb part of north Kosovo is Serbia.

Huh.  When this first came up some months back I was lambasted by somebody or other for bringing up the reporting of this, as being entirely All Rong.  Thus, confused by this current reporting, since the reporting of this conviction was all lies, I was told in no uncertain terms.

14 hours ago, Zorral said:

But what does this mean?  Still have no idea.

@Bironic did a good job explaining the situation. If there’s a point I’d like to add, is that Serbia resents being a landlocked country, while Croatia has a major coastline (not directly tied to Kosovo, but part of wider Balkan geopolitics). With Kosovo in particular, there’s still a widely held belief, especially amongst the older demographic, that it’s still rightfully Serbian land. 
That being said, Vucic isn’t Putin, and Serbia’s situation largely limits its ability to exert imperialism, as its practically surrounded by NATO. 

42 minutes ago, House Balstroko said:

@Bironic did a good job explaining the situation

Yes, he did, and I understood it.  I was expressing surprise that it coincided with what I was told previously Was Not True and lies by ignorant western media and posters who are whatever whatever whatever.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

I was expressing surprise that it coincided with what I was told previously Was Not True and lies by ignorant western media and posters who are whatever whatever whatever.

Sounds like somebody was trying to mislead you.  What Bironic said is not controversial, as far as I can see.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Yes, he did, and I understood it.  I was expressing surprise that it coincided with what I was told previously Was Not True and lies by ignorant western media and posters who are whatever whatever whatever.

If I’m not mistaken, those comments were made in reference to the school shooting in Belgrade, which had no correlation to the events in Kosovo. Apologies, if I’m misremembering the situation. 

NewsClick: Raid on India news site over China funding claims

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-66909370

Police in the Indian capital, Delhi, have raided the homes of prominent journalists and authors in connection with an investigation into the funding of news website NewsClick.

NewsClick's founder Prabir Purkayastha and a colleague were arrested. Police also seized laptops and mobile phones.

Officials are reportedly investigating allegations that NewsClick got illegal funds from China - a charge it denies.

Critics say the move is an intentional attack on press freedom.

Started in 2009, NewsClick is an independent news and current affairs website known to be critical of the government. In 2021, it was raided by tax authorities on allegations of breaking India's foreign direct investment rules.

The co-ordinated raids at 30 locations on Tuesday are some of the largest and most extensive on India's media in recent years. Police later confirmed they had arrested Mr Purkayastha and Amit Chakravarty, the website's head of human resources

According to reports, the raids are in connection with a case registered against NewsClick in August after a New York Times report alleged that the website had received funds from an American millionaire to spread "Chinese propaganda".

It claimed that Neville Roy Singham worked closely with the "Chinese government media machine" and used his network of non-profit groups and shell companies to "finance its propaganda worldwide".

Reporters Without Borders, an advocacy group for journalists, has placed India in 161st place in its press freedom rankings this year. It said the situation in the country has deteriorated from "problematic" to "very bad" and compared it with Tajikistan (at 153rd) and Turkey (at 165th).

So apparently freaked out American religious extremists are going around Israel museums and smashing artifacts that offend their delicate senses.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-tourist-arrested-for-smashing-roman-era-statues-at-israel-museum/

This being the 2nd case of the vandalism following this earlier attack-

In February, an American tourist was arrested for vandalizing a statue inside the Church of the Flagellation in Jerusalem’s Old City.

Clear cases for locking them up and throwing their keys into the Dead Sea.

Well shit just got real in Israel. Hamas has attacked multiple towns in the south, firing over 2,000 rockets and taking several hostages. In turn the Israeli government is striking back against Gaza, killing multitudes more. And this is just the beginning. The right wing government under that piece of shit is going to want blood. But frankly both sides will want escalation, per usual.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well shit just got real in Israel. Hamas has attacked multiple towns in the south, firing over 2,000 rockets and taking several hostages. In turn the Israeli government is striking back against Gaza, killing multitudes more. And this is just the beginning. The right wing government under that piece of shit is going to want blood. But frankly both sides will want escalation, per usual.

Yeah… it’s really bad.