Football: Squeaky Bum Time

polishgenius

Well, both managers feel Tierney did a bad job there, so ... generally, yeah, he's bad. Strange for Klopp to insist he's got something against Liverpool, though, after leaving Jota on the pitch. Surefire way of getting a ban.

And it'll be deserved as such.

(Note: I'm well aware desicions were bad during the game, but they went against both teams. Klopp's reaction is just sad.)  

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

On a general note, has there ever been a more Spurs game in the history of Spurs games?

Yes. Spurs were once 3-0 at halftime against United and ended up losing 5-3. They were playing at home too.

I'm fairly sure he didn't mean it the way it comes off (and also I don't even particularly think it not being red was that contentious- I've always said that there has to be some leeway for genuinely going for a dropping ball, as Jota was doing). But Klopp saying this to someone who's managing at 31 because he had to end his playing career after a head injury is... some pretty thoughtless optics.  

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I'm fairly sure he didn't mean it the way it comes off (and also I don't even particularly think it not being red was that contentious- I've always said that there has to be some leeway for genuinely going for a dropping ball, as Jota was doing). But Klopp saying this to someone who's managing at 31 because he had to end his playing career after a head injury is... some pretty thoughtless optics.  

I think the problem with this is there's no way to properly draw a boundary on it. By that token, the desicion on Skipp is entirely correct, as he gets the ball. He's still putting his studs on Diaz' ankle afterwards, and that it's dangerous play is beyond dispute. 

Same with Jota. No doubt he's going for the ball, but he hits Skipp studs first in what's inarguably a high kick. Very dangerous play. 

I'd argue both are red.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

It's hilarious that even some random Italian player with no connection to the club understands our pain.

3 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

I think the problem with this is there's no way to properly draw a boundary on it. By that token, the desicion on Skipp is entirely correct, as he gets the ball. He's still putting his studs on Diaz' ankle afterwards, and that it's dangerous play is beyond dispute. 

Same with Jota. No doubt he's going for the ball, but he hits Skipp studs first in what's inarguably a high kick. Very dangerous play. 

I'd argue both are red.

Yep. This is spot on.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Probably, I don't think Klopp was aware of the reason why Mason's career was being cut short. Was Klopp being a dickhead to essentially Mason to shut up and focus on his team instead of moaning about a pretty poor referee. Undoubtedly.

25 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

It's true that there's never gonna be a genuinely objective answer here. But the reason I think Jota's yellow was okay but Skipp's should be a stonewall red is that, even if there's no actual intent to injure, Skipp is only going to make that movement if there's a player he's competing with, and he should be aware that making that movement carries the risk of stamping on his opponent. Thus, recklessness. Whereas Jota was making a move with the assumption that no-one was there. Thus, inattention. Inattention can still be reckless, hence I wouldn't fly off the handle over a red, but they're not the same thing. 

Archived