UK Politics: Bully for you

Derfel Cadarn

There's a new book coming out about BJ next week from Anthony Seldon. I particularly like this section below. Also he apparently cried when Gove stabbed him in the back and stood against him. 

A “distraught” Boris Johnson declared “we’ve got no plan” when he realised Vote Leave would win the Brexit referendum, a new book claims.

Mr Johnson, who is widely credited with delivering the slim majority for Brexit, is said to have walked around his living room “looking ashen-faced and distraught”, muttering: “What the hell is happening? ... Oh s***, we’ve got no plan.

Some unbelievable bullshit being spouted today by Tories who have finally woken up to the fact that the British people do not like raw sewage being pumped Into their rivers and beaches. Watching them desperately trying to rewrite history is entertaining af. 

And this guy is excellent.... 

40 minutes ago, mormont said:

It's strange how in every economic cycle, the benefits go to the rich, but the costs must be borne by the poor.

Not so much ‘trickle down’ as ‘evaporate up’ into various hidden offshore accounts and tax havens.

49 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Not so much ‘trickle down’ as ‘evaporate up’ into various hidden offshore accounts and tax havens.

But we're told to hate the Russian oligarchs! 

I'm sure if you nationalized the wealth of the 100 richest people in England you could solve half of your country's problems and the economy would actually improve.

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But we're told to hate the Russian oligarchs! 

I'm sure if you nationalized the wealth of the 100 richest people in England you could solve half of your country's problems and the economy would actually improve.

Yup. Brexit came about partly because Russia wanted to weaken the EU and largely because the British rich wanted to avoid incomibg EU laws taxing offshore accounts. The ability to cull employee protections is a bonus, as well as no longer being legally forced to protect British beaches from pollution

6 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Yup. Brexit came about partly because Russia wanted to weaken the EU and largely because the British rich wanted to avoid incomibg EU laws taxing offshore accounts. The ability to cull employee protections is a bonus, as well as no longer being legally forced to protect British beaches from pollution

Also good old fashioned bigotry and a weird mistaken belief that bureaucracy was an EU thing rather than a human thing. 

38 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Yup. Brexit came about partly because Russia wanted to weaken the EU and largely because the British rich wanted to avoid incomibg EU laws taxing offshore accounts.

This claim has been largely debunked. Also, while we're on the topic, I'm not at all clear what Brexit has to do with evacuating people from Sudan.

I think folks understand how deeply I loathe Brexit, but let's not be making stuff up about it.

In other news, disenfranchising poorer younger voters appears to be progressing well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65389832

About 4% of the estimated two million people who do not have valid ID have signed up for a government scheme to allow them to vote.

A spokesman for the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) added that voter ID was "vital" to "keep our democracy secure" and "prevent the potential for voter fraud".

They can't even say 'prevent voter fraud' because that would imply this alleged fraud actually takes place, and they have no evidence that it does. So they have to say it prevents entirely hypothetical fraud. While at the same time, this measure will stop hundreds of thousands of valid votes being cast. How many valid votes is it worth losing to stop one fraudulent vote?

The reason there are so many British citizens in Sudan is because we are talking about a former British colony. Many people in Sudan have family here. And yet there is not a single legal route for asylum applications.

You want to stop the boats? 

With all the discourse around it, you'd think the Tories would be challenged a bit more on the fact that that, for refugees, there are no safe and legal routes from anywhere on the planet. Not one.

Love Sunak telling me that everything is excellent every week whilst the whole public sector is on strike, growth is lagging compared to other countries, and we've got the worst ambulance wait times in years

Archived