UK Politics: Bully for you

Derfel Cadarn

36 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Doesn't the phrase 'Greens and Lib-Dem are a weak opposition' come across as the Cons running a campaign to be the opposition?

Well, they do currently have 0 (zero) councillors there

Also, I recognize that all politics are local, but are grass verges, parking fees, and whatever 'high streets' are, issues that would motivate even a single voter to cast a ballot one way or the other?

Edited by horangi

36 minutes ago, horangi said:

Also, I recognize that all politics are local, but are grass verges, parking fees, and whatever 'high streets' are, issues that would motivate even a single voter to cast a ballot one way or the other?

It’s a local election. Things like that are probably the only actual policy issues people might care about. Other than that they probably just vote down party lines.

1 hour ago, horangi said:

As someone who knows many people who canvas during local elections, quite possibly yes. Apparently it sometimes seems that parking issues are the only thing people want to talk about on the doorstep. Though in Tory land it seems that they mostly want to talk about preventing any more houses being built in their area. (I know people who would never vote Tory in general elections, but do so in local elections because they "are against building more housing estates" - that is one lie that they do seem to have sold successfully.)

A New Zealand man jailed for his role in a climate protest has been handed the longest prison sentence of its kind in British history.

Morgan Trowland, a civil engineer from Ashburton, has been sentenced to three years imprisonment for a protest action that shut down a busy road in London last year.

It is reportedly the longest sentence ever given for a peaceful climate protest in Britain.

His family and friends are shocked by the punishment, which supporters have described as “draconian”.

I am really ignorant when it comes to how protest can be effective at bringing about social change. I tend to think directly pissing off the general voting public as they try to go about their daily lives of just trying to get by is not the most effective way of achieving the change you want to see. The frustration and anger I get. The most effective way to vent that frustration and anger probably needs a bit of thought by some in the protest community.

Still, three years seems a bit steep, and I question the intended deterrent effect of such sentences on people who are fighting what they see as an existential cause. Protesters will call themselves political prisoners, and seek to make political gains by that. They may well also seek to carry out even more disruptive protests to both flood the judicial system with environmental protest prosecutions (generating its own publicity) and show that such deterrent laws fail to serve as a deterrent.

People who are truly committed to a cause aren't just ready to disrupt the lives of others they are ready to disrupt their own lives. Room and board for up to 3 years courtesy of HMG may be, to them, an tolerable sacrifice.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I am really ignorant when it comes to how protest can be effective at bringing about social change. I tend to think directly pissing off the general voting public as they try to go about their daily lives of just trying to get by is not the most effective way of achieving the change you want to see. The frustration and anger I get. The most effective way to vent that frustration and anger probably needs a bit of thought by some in the protest community.

Still, three years seems a bit steep, and I question the intended deterrent effect of such sentences on people who are fighting what they see as an existential cause. Protesters will call themselves political prisoners, and seek to make political gains by that. They may well also seek to carry out even more disruptive protests to both flood the judicial system with environmental protest prosecutions (generating its own publicity) and show that such deterrent laws fail to serve as a deterrent.

People who are truly committed to a cause aren't just ready to disrupt the lives of others they are ready to disrupt their own lives. Room and board for up to 3 years courtesy of HMG may be, to them, an tolerable sacrifice.

Yep. Glue yourself to Rishi, cause huge disruption to BP or Shell CEO. Don't piss off the man about the street trying to get to work who you need onside. It's fucking idiotic. 

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

He’ll be in jail 1.5 year tops I think. But still way too long for such offences.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I am really ignorant when it comes to how protest can be effective at bringing about social change. I tend to think directly pissing off the general voting public as they try to go about their daily lives of just trying to get by is not the most effective way of achieving the change you want to see.

You're supportive of the conservative view of protest, then, that it should be a sort of polite reminder of an issue? Like having a man with a clipboard approach you and ask if you care about climate change? Although that too might be too inconvenient to the general voting public. Maybe they should write a letter to their MP. If only the suffragettes had thought of that. Their tactics did piss off the voting public, that probably explains their lack of success.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The frustration and anger I get. The most effective way to vent that frustration and anger probably needs a bit of thought by some in the protest community.

That frustration and anger arises from the cause being ignored when people tried to raise it in ways that did not piss off the voting public, because when you adopt tactics that people can ignore, they ignore you.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

You're supportive of the conservative view of protest, then, that it should be a sort of polite reminder of an issue? Like having a man with a clipboard approach you and ask if you care about climate change? Although that too might be too inconvenient to the general voting public. Maybe they should write a letter to their MP. If only the suffragettes had thought of that. Their tactics did piss off the voting public, that probably explains their lack of success.

That frustration and anger arises from the cause being ignored when people tried to raise it in ways that did not piss off the voting public, because when you adopt tactics that people can ignore, they ignore you.

I think there could be a middle ground in there somewhere.

If you haven't seen Lawrence Fox getting fucking owned you are in for a treat. 

https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/28/laurence-fox-savagely-roasted-by-doctor-on-gb-news-over-covid-vaccines-18690273/

'I sometimes wonder why you exist'. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Agreeing to appear on GB News is not advisable under any circumstances. It's a Russian propaganda/black money op. The satisfaction of owning Laurence Fox, a thing you can do five times on social media before breakfast (is he still on Twitter?), isn't worth giving that operation even a veneer of being an actual valid TV station.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65435426

The public will be given an active role in the ceremony for the first time, with people around the world set to be asked to cry out and swear allegiance to the King.

This "homage of the people" replaces the traditional "homage of peers" where hereditary peers swear allegiance to the new monarch. Instead everyone in the Abbey and watching at home will be invited to pay homage in what Lambeth Palace described as a "chorus of millions".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHH...

HAHAHAHA...

No.

God help us, there will be more of this drivel to come.

I note also that the service will be really religiously inclusive by asking people of all faiths to participate in a ceremony by, er, reading from a book that is not of their faith and asking them to profess allegiance to the King in the name of a God they don't believe in. Religious diversity there: people of all faiths are welcome to practice Christianity. The Chief Rabbi will be doing so on the Sabbath, which is a really nice touch.

22 minutes ago, mormont said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65435426

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHH...

HAHAHAHA...

No.

God help us, there will be more of this drivel to come.

I note also that the service will be really religiously inclusive by asking people of all faiths to participate in a ceremony by, er, reading from a book that is not of their faith and asking them to profess allegiance to the King in the name of a God they don't believe in. Religious diversity there: people of all faiths are welcome to practice Christianity. The Chief Rabbi will be doing so on the Sabbath, which is a really nice touch.

Sorry.

Washing my hair that day.

And watching paint dry.

And then waiting for it to start to peel.